To Battery Grip or not to Battery Grip

I was wondering how many people on the forums that preordered the X-T2 are also going to get the battery grip? Personally, I can't decide. I don't exactly like the looks of it or the price but the extended battery life, ability to charge batteries in the unit along with the boost features are pretty tempting. What's everyone else's opinion?

I'm torn too. Had a grip for my DSLR, back when I shot Canon, but I ended up taking it off because of the added weight and how cumbersome it was in certain situations. The grip for the XT-2 certainly has much better features than a Canon grip, but the added weight and size still make me hesitate as to whether I would use it a lot. I guess my reply isn't that helpful! Hah.

If you're going for the X-T2 and need 11 fps, super accurate AF, get the grip.

It's the only battery grip from the digital era which ups the fps with the boost function. Film cameras motor drive did that but not dslr battery grip. I'd buy the grip out of pure nostalgia.

Not pre-ordered because balls to the UK price hike, but once I do buy one, I'll definitely get the battery grip. I'm sick of the crap battery life on mirrorless cameras, and I always appreciate a larger body. Using the T2 without the grip is bizarre, to me.

Yeah, the UK price is nuts. By my calculations the Brexit fallout made the camera about £200 more than it likely would have cost.

Yeah, the UK price is nuts. By my calculations the Brexit fallout made the camera about £200 more than it likely would have cost.

More like £350. The price I was quoted by multiple Fuji reps and high street stores up until this last month was £1050, the same price the T1 launched at. The last-minute price jump has made it £1399, offset only partially by a £100 trade-in bonus in most shops. It's £1600 if you want the grip. For reference, this is now in the 5D3/D800/A7 II price range. Obviously, second hand prices for many top cameras offer even more competition for the T2.

As nice as the T2 may be, the new price tag is now really hard to justify; I could buy one, but I'd feel stupid and ripped-off for doing so.

Edited by aceflibble

More like £350. The price I was quoted by multiple Fuji reps and high street stores up until this last month was £1050, the same price the T1 launched at. The last-minute price jump has made it £1399, offset only partially by a £100 trade-in bonus in most shops. It's £1600 if you want the grip. For reference, this is now in the 5D3/D800/A7 II price range. Obviously, second hand prices for many top cameras offer even more competition for the T2.

As nice as the T2 may be, the new price tag is now really hard to justify; I could buy one, but I'd feel stupid and ripped-off for doing so.

Well it's more expensive than the X-T1 debuted at everywhere, so I figure what you were quoted before was wrong the whole time and just guesses. Either way, the UK saw the biggest price jump from what I've seen. Hopefully the pound recovers sooner rather than later so prices don't jump up on everything for you guys.

I did not order the grip mostly because I am trying to fight off serious GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).  The more I thought about it, yes it would be nice but I really don't do any sports.  It could be useful for Birds In Flight but I don't do that very often and as far as 4k video I feel like in reality if I wanted to do video I'd buy a camcorder.  So I just couldn't justify the cost as I doubt I would really use it that much.

I pre-ordered mostly due to the increased resolution as I do find myself cropping a lot in post process.  I also like the extra direction in the tilt screen, for younger folks it's not necessary, but the older I get the more difficult it is to get down into some of the positions it takes to get the shot I want.  I will also enjoy the joystick as well as the other new Bells & Whistles. 

In short I saw enough to prompt me to go for the camera, but not the grip.

I did not order the grip mostly because I am trying to fight off serious GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). The more I thought about it, yes it would be nice but I really don't do any sports. It could be useful for Birds In Flight but I don't do that very often and as far as 4k video I feel like in reality if I wanted to do video I'd buy a camcorder. So I just couldn't justify the cost as I doubt I would really use it that much.

I'm pretty much thinking the same thing now. I don't shoot sports or any wildlife, in the last year the only times I've even put my D610 into continuous high has been for bracketing really. I will probably forego getting the battery grip for now and then if I get more into video I'll pick one up. $400 CAD is just too much for something that just adds convenience for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Not going to buy grip immediately as the main interest in it to me is the extension of 4k recording time, but its still falling between 2 stalls. The vanilla 10 mins without grip is fine for most of my shooting which is short takes that will later be edited together. The only other usage which would be to record an entire gig when i am engaging in my other passion and 30 mins is not enough. Ie if I am going to have to remember to start and stop it once or twice during a gig, I might as well do it every song and give myself the piece of mind that each song is safe. (I currently start and stop recording like this via the Remote App and its not a major bother, I have the phone on my amp and I just pop back hit stop and hit start again)

What I am interested in is whether the new ergonomics mean I won't need the additional arca swiss extension grip anymore. If i don't need that then the battery grip might have a future as a useful bit of gear, but if I have had to buy the Arca I won't bother forking out for the battery grip as Fuji will have had enough of my money. I imagine the performance hike from X-T1 to 2 will be enough to keep me happy for a while. But bottom line even if I own it, the majority of the time it won't be on the camera, I hate big cameras, I shoot mainly street and travel and I don't need it and it will just get in the way. For the odd occasion I might need it for sports or video it would come out, but I think its more something i might purchase down the line with a price drop as an occasional item that lived in the bag. ON that front I wish they had not included the grip extension on it, as it will just make it more awkward to lug around I think they had it right with the original X-T1 battery grip. Hopefully its screwed on and can be removed.

G

If you don't need the extra boost, or the charging in camera there are/will be 3rd party battery grips.  Personally I've used Zeiko, Menke, and Pixel on all my Nikon cameras and have never, ever had a problem.  Plus, for like $49.95 - 69.95 each I can replace the grip five/six times for the price of a (Nikon grip) at least.  And the Fuji are just about as expensive...

Did not order grip to keep overall size small, and also I find this particular grip diminutive to X-T2's aesthetics. I might end up getting it in future because Fuji kind of made it imperative in order to exploit camera's full potential (faster/superior performance).

I'll probably get the grip, but maybe not right away. The main use cases for me would be faster AF/continuous the few times I need it, longer 4K recording and longer battery life for long sessions on tripod/time lapse. Most of the time it would stay off the camera to keep weight and size down.

I also like the ability to charge 2 batteries in the grip.

Skickat från min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk

I ordered mine with the standard grip adapter (MHG-XT2 Metal Hand Grip ) because the primary reason I switched from a full frame Canon mk3 to Fuji X was the reduction in size, weight, and "intimation factor".

The battery grip soundly puts that in jeopardy.

That being said I ordered the battery grip for those few times that I need that level of performance, and when size and weight and such isn't an issue.

I don't like being found lacking a piece of equipment that I can slip in my bag, can be swapped out and removed, but is there when I need it.

Maybe 5-10 % of the time. But that could be a real important shoot. I'd rather have it close by.

At the other end I can strip the X-T2, with no extra grip at all, with the 18mm f2 (or 23 f2) and I have the other extreme, maybe a longer lens in a pocket with a battery.

A lightweight and small discreet camera.

It's a really great system you can make bigger.

Never seen a DSLR that got smaller.

:D

Peter

www.tmaxphoto.com

www.kma438.com

Ordered originally without the grip (cause I don't really need it that much (or even at all).. After Image quality/joy of use, -size- was always my most important :wub:  with Fujifilm and with the grip we're not exactly talking tiny camera anymore)  
(But when I saw the deal WITH the grip for a very fair price I changed the order to include it. Oh I can't WAIT to get my hands on them!) :D

vbr: PerS

Preordered mine with the grip too. With reasons being;

1) Ability to charge two batteries at the same time, aside from the external and in body usb charging. Therefore save time and more batteries could be  

charged and re-charged.

2) The comforting feeling of a better grip, when larger/longer zoom lenses are attached.

3) Faster AF acquisitions in Continuous drive.

4) PWP (Purchase With Purchase), discount. ( point 5 is the main driving factor to purchase now. )

5) In September, Fujifilm will increase their product prices due to Brexit and Kumamoto earthquake. Theoretically, this is the best time to get their products  

before they increase it.

I find the X-T2 vertical grip plain UGLY. I don't like the design as it is on both ends wider than the camera itself and does not follow the camera curves. Then there is that grip itself on the right front side which is in my opinion not close enough to the camera body leaving a gap in between.

The vertical grip of the X-T1 is much, much  more in line with the camera design itself.

Having said this, the other side of my brain convinces me that a camera is a 'tool' and I'm sure I will buy the grip anyway  ;)