Proportion of people who have never had a problem

ChrisWebb

A large number of threads and comments here are from people who have some sort of reliability problems with their camera. I have owned about 30 cameras over the years (including 3 Fujifilm), a mixture of new and recent used, and have never had any problems, even with cameras I have used heavily over a long period of time.

I therefore believe breakdowns and malfunctions are very rare but the fact that people post about them gives a misleading impression. I don't know whether there's a way to create polls (if there is and I can't find it I apologise for my stupidity!) but if not maybe people might just like to comment here if, in their experience, cameras are actually extremely reliable.

The only camera body failure I had was deterioration of the light seals - after about 30 years of use. I rebuilt that camera about 10 years ago, and it is as good today as the day I bought it. A Nikon FE. Digital has it perks, but I really miss film.

Getting into this century though, I had a dumpster load of failure with electronic cameras both film and digital. But this is the key point - every single one of those failures was user error. All my own fault.

I think today's cameras are beyond amazing, probably to a fault. But for quality and reliability, I like the Fujifilms, given today's shutter loads and electronic complexity.

What would I like my next large purchase to be? A bunch of film for my Nikon.

Interesting. I attempted to calculate all the various cameras and bodies owned since 1979 and I think it's about 30 - 35. I have never had a faulty new camera. Lenses yes, many times. Decentering was the most common issue. 

Like all reviews, you always hear about the negative 100 to 1 over the positive.

When you're unhappy, the keyboard warrior in some comes out!

(in my last century IT positions, we had a saying, "It's a PEBCAK error" Problem exists between chair and keyboard)

I've only had one issue with ONE camera (Fujifilm S2 Pro) and that includes owning between 1973 and today:

Minolta SR-T101 (my sister still owns it)

Minolta X-E7 ( I still own it and it still works)

Digital: Fuji 4900z 4.3 megapixel - outstanding camera

Nikon 8700 8mp - never had an issue through sale

Nikon 300 6mp - never had an issue through sale

Nikon D700 12mp - Still use it and still works perfectly with over 200,000 images

RB67 Pro Medium Format

2 ea Mamiya 645 AFD Medium Format

2 ea Yashicamat Twin Lens reflex

Fujifilm S1 Pro - ONE of the BEST early digital cameras with gorgeous colors and a Base ISO of 320, 3.2mp

Fujifilm S2 Pro.  The S2 Pro developed a bad sensor and Fuji in Edison replaced the sensor, and shutter free of charge with a. two day turnaround after I dropped it off.

X-E1 - never had an issue

X-T1 still own it.  Rubber grip started to come loose and I used gorilla glue to fix it

X-T2 Camera took a salt water bath and self-destructed.  Not worth repairing per Fuji's repair estimate, sold for parts

X-H1 - Still shoot with it never had an issue

G50R and 100S. -- Haven't had an issue.  Fingers crossed I don't

Edited by jlmphotos

I've owned more cameras than I can remember and have only had three issues and they're all with Fuji cameras. The first was the electronic board on my X-T10 failed and I sent it in and had it repaired by Fuji. The second is the rear control dial on my X-P1 is working erratically and I found that Fuji US is no longer repairing them. The third was the skin and door on my X-T1. The skin came off and the door warped where it would no longer close. Unfortunately it happened outside the replacement Fuji had offered and I paid to have it re skinned and a new door installed.

19 hours ago, itchy shutter finger said:

The only camera body failure I had was deterioration of the light seals - after about 30 years of use. I rebuilt that camera about 10 years ago, and it is as good today as the day I bought it. A Nikon FE. Digital has it perks, but I really miss film.

Getting into this century though, I had a dumpster load of failure with electronic cameras both film and digital. But this is the key point - every single one of those failures was user error. All my own fault.

I think today's cameras are beyond amazing, probably to a fault. But for quality and reliability, I like the Fujifilms, given today's shutter loads and electronic complexity.

What would I like my next large purchase to be? A bunch of film for my Nikon.

Light seals are something you'd expect to need replacing eventually anyway. I used an FM2, close relative of the FE, for over a decade with no problems at all.

• 3 weeks later...

My cameras.

Some point and shoots from the 80's, never a problem.  Film cameras.

A Konica/Minolta - Flawless

Ricoh something or other - Flawless

Pentax - K-x - Flawless (really enjoyed this camera)

Sony RX100Mii - the mode dial on one setting started to malfunction

XT20, XH1, XT4, and now XH2S - all FLAWLESS

I have owned quite a few cameras over many years (I am 74 and had my first camera aged 18). Apart from accidents I have had the following problems. The metering in my SRT101 failed. My Minolta xd7 suffered from peeling leatherette, but otherwise was my favourite camera ever. My Mamiya 645 1000d 80mm lens developed sticking aperture leaves. My Mamiya 645 Super shutter failed spectacularly- shutter blinds hanging out! My Minolta Dynax7D battery cover became impossible to latch and I had to tape it up to prevent the battery falling out. My Fuji X-T1 flash sync failed and I had the main board replaced under warranty. My X- T3 developed a faulty exposure compensation dial and I had to pay for that one. Probably not bad for 56 years of photography!