Jump to content

Stick with LR or switch to Capture One?


Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, jlmphotos said:

No need to be a dick.  You know what:  Do what you want.  LOL some folks can't be helped. Are you sure you aren't a Nikon or Sony user?  Here's an answer for you:  Capture ONE is THE BEST RAW processor for Fuji files bar none.  LR, comes in second.  If you did YOUR homework and checked other resources on this forum you would find that to be the case.  I use C1Pro for editing, whereas I use LR for ingesting, sorting, and eventually cataloging.  This is the reason why I wouldn't pay a subscription.  Also, I'm old school; I do not want to "subscribe" to anything.  I'd rather own it (as far as the licensing allows) as opposed to renting.  Just like I own my two homes (one outside of Acadia), thre vehicles - one at my summer home, and my freakin' Cessna!  There. How's that for showing off.  I can go on if you wish....

And if you ever need flight lessons, look me up. Jerk

 

Ah, so I was the dick - of course! Boasting of how groovy a dude I am by pointing out I don't pay that enormous $120 annual fee! I see it now! Answering the actual question was an afterthought - I get it! Well I bow to your superior stupendousness for putting me in my place. Or, you could check your ego at the door.

No doubt you realize you don't "own" software anyway - the license merely gives you license to use it - a common conceptual error people make.

But I really am oh-so-impressed! I have been humbled - a thousand pardons for my questioning of your ability to actually answer the question that was asked!

But if we need to unzip, you can get a few more lenses to catch up to me...I rather like the 200MM F2 as well as the 100-400 with the TCs. Just sayin'. Because listing your gear in your signature makes one all the cooler!

Edited by f8lee
typo correction
Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, jlmphotos said:

No need to be a dick.  You know what:  Do what you want.  LOL some folks can't be helped. Are you sure you aren't a Nikon or Sony user?  Here's an answer for you:  Capture ONE is THE BEST RAW processor for Fuji files bar none.  LR, comes in second.  If you did YOUR homework and checked other resources on this forum you would find that to be the case.  I use C1Pro for editing, whereas I use LR for ingesting, sorting, and eventually cataloging.  This is the reason why I wouldn't pay a subscription.  Also, I'm old school; I do not want to "subscribe" to anything.  I'd rather own it (as far as the licensing allows) as opposed to renting.  Just like I own my two homes (one outside of Acadia), thre vehicles - one at my summer home, and my freakin' Cessna!  There. How's that for showing off.  I can go on if you wish....

And if you ever need flight lessons, look me up. Jerk

 

wow , i wish i get successful like you too , i really want to take photography as a profession . my family business is stressful , but i just do photography as a hobby till now ,just because i love doing it , i wish it brings me revenue ,so i could do it always !. have a nice day !

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, f8lee said:

Ah, so I was the dick - of course! Boasting of how groovy a dude I am by pointing out I don't pay that enormous $120 annual fee! I see it now! Answering the actual question was an afterthought - I get it! Well I bow to your superior stupendousness for putting me in my place. Or, you could check your ego at the door.

No doubt you realize you don't "own" software anyway - the license merely gives you license to use it - a common conceptual error people make.

But I really am oh-so-impressed! I have been humbled - a thousand pardons for my questioning of your ability to actually answer the question that was asked!

But if we need to unzip, you can get a few more lenses to catch up to me...I rather like the 200MM F2 as well as the 100-400 with the TCs. Just sayin'. Because listing your gear in your signature makes one all the cooler!

Wow.  You truly are an asshole. Happy New Year.  LOL. If you had bothered to read you'd see I am quite aware that no one owns the software.  And the reason I list what I own in my signature block is so that any posts that I make on here so that others can see, that unlike you, I'm not blowing smoke out my ass.  Oh and BTW:  I'll be adding a GFX 100-200 5.6 zoom to my signature block.  I just bought it today!!  LOL. Moron.

 

Edited by jlmphotos
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,
I am glad @teaandcake went to Fujifilm. I did the move a while ago buying the X-T20, coming form Nikon and previously Canon and I was blown away. Now I added a X-T3 and I won't probably go anywhere else for the time being.
I've been doing some comparative tests with different software to see how can get the best from the X-Trans sensor, finding myself in a similar situation.
Long story short, I am now down to Camera Raw (which is also in LR) with "Enhance details" .dng photos and Capture One Express (which won't export .dng for business reasons, I think).
If you work a bit with the sharpening on both software you will get exactly the same level of definition. In Camera Raw is under "Edit - Detail", while in Capture One is in "Quick - Sharpening" AND "Details - Sharpening" (so in Capture One you have to work twice). I would start from 0 on both.
Also in Capture One you have to turn down to 0 the Noise Reduction. "Details - Noise Reduction".
Zeroing all these pre-loaded settings, will get you exact results.
In terms of treating the pixel, I find Capture One being slightly (just slightly) better but only if you zoom up to the pixel you will notice it, so in real life this difference won't never be seen.
My conclusion is, between the two tools, use the one you like and feel familiar most, so play with both and set yourself at ease. Helping to choose it's also dependant on your circle of photography friends. I am staying on Camera Raw because everyone I know use Adobe, but I will play a bit with Capture One to see what has to offer.

Edited by lamacchiacosta
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 1:14 AM, teaandcake said:

Hi all,

I’m a very keen soon to be Fujifilm owner! I’ve had an entry level Canon DSLR for years but will be getting an XT30 next week 😀

I’ve always used Lightroom to edit my RAW files but have read that it doesn’t handle the Fuji RAW files very well and Capture One does a much better job. I’ve seen YouTube videos where the Fuji files look horrible in LR and it seems like a mission to get them looking decent, never mind doing the edits you want. 
I’m not great with LR but can do basic edits and don’t like to spend hours editing photos. 

I can’t afford to pay for both software packages so I’m looking for some advice as to what may be best. 

At the moment I’m keeping my Canon just as another option but if it turns out I never use it I’ll trade it in. 
 

I keep my RAW files stored on an external hard drive and they’re all organised into folders. In LR they’re organised into collections but I’m not sure if Capture One has this option? I have the LR app on my phone and iPad but don’t use it much. 
 

If anyone can offer some advice that would be great. 
 

Thank you 😊 

I enjoy capture one more and seem to get better results with it to be honest. 
if you go on youtube there’s a Fujifilm ambassador called Andy Mumford who has done a good video on using Capture One 👍🏽
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chrisrm7 said:

I enjoy capture one more and seem to get better results with it to be honest. 
if you go on youtube there’s a Fujifilm ambassador called Andy Mumford who has done a good video on using Capture One 👍🏽
 

I follow Andy Mumford, his photos are amazing! 😍 

I was pretty set on switching to Capture One but they’ve increased their prices recently and now Adobe seems to be better value for money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, teaandcake said:

I follow Andy Mumford, his photos are amazing! 😍 

I was pretty set on switching to Capture One but they’ve increased their prices recently and now Adobe seems to be better value for money.

There will hopefully be a 25% discount in springtime, the express version however is free forever! Just limited tools 😐

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chrisrm7 said:

There will hopefully be a 25% discount in springtime, the express version however is free forever! Just limited tools 😐

 

 

I have the Express version. It’s fine but does lack quite a few features I would use. I was going to buy C1 outright but changed my mind as a subscription means I get all the latest updates. But I think £15 per month is a bit steep. Adobe is £10 and I get more programs and mobile apps. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, teaandcake said:

I have the Express version. It’s fine but does lack quite a few features I would use. I was going to buy C1 outright but changed my mind as a subscription means I get all the latest updates. But I think £15 per month is a bit steep. Adobe is £10 and I get more programs and mobile apps. 

I will have to wait to use Capture One when i get my new mac, i don’t think it is compatible with the new Apple M1 chip 😐

so it’ll be exclusively Lightroom again for a while!

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chrisrm7 said:

I will have to wait to use Capture One when i get my new mac, i don’t think it is compatible with the new Apple M1 chip 😐

so it’ll be exclusively Lightroom again for a while!

It should work through Rosetta but I’ve seen mixed reviews. Some people say C1 works well and others say it’s very unreliable 🤷‍♀️ 

My MacBook really struggles with LR and PS so I think I’ll need to upgrade this year. Going to wait and see if there are new M1 MacBooks released this year  16” would be ideal as I don’t have the room for a desktop  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, teaandcake said:

It should work through Rosetta but I’ve seen mixed reviews. Some people say C1 works well and others say it’s very unreliable 🤷‍♀️ 

My MacBook really struggles with LR and PS so I think I’ll need to upgrade this year. Going to wait and see if there are new M1 MacBooks released this year  16” would be ideal as I don’t have the room for a desktop  

 

A new macbook will eat into the lens fund! 😅

i’m going for a mac mini and using the tv as a monitor temporarily, cue weird display issues… 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chrisrm7 said:

A new macbook will eat into the lens fund! 😅

i’m going for a mac mini and using the tv as a monitor temporarily, cue weird display issues… 😂

Sadly yes, it’s going to wipe out the lens fund! My MacBook is so slow and I get a notification saying I have no memory left when all I’ve done is open LR. It’s really slow to edit and I don’t have the patience 😂 I bought it before I was interested in photography so didn’t think about bigger memory. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I, as per some others on this thread use Irident X converter to convert RAF to DNG. The resulting files are then easy to edit in Lightroom without any sharpening as the conversions are so detailed already. The DNG files are a handy backup if anything happens to the original or vice versa, and can easily be edited and synced with Lightroom mobile on iphone or ipad.  I find C1 a total pain to use but I guess its something you would get more used to with practice but C1 is not for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

You can get excellent results from C1 and LR, although using X Transformer with Lightroom does give a better raw conversion, comparable with C1. There is a difference in philosophy between the two. C1 gives you an auto adjusted file to start with. LR assumes you are in control from the beginning and hence gives a flatter looking starting point. However, LR has setiings for all the Fuji film simulations and you can make your own import presets.

If you want tethering I believe C1 is the way to go.

C1 is not really a one off payment license. When an upgrade is released you will have to pay a hefty sum to get it.  Otherwise you can pay monthly - same as Lightroom. Also you get Photoshop and Lightroom in the Adobe subscription. I am a Photoshop user so it's  a LR no brainer for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2022 at 9:14 AM, BobJ said:

You can get excellent results from C1 and LR, although using X Transformer with Lightroom does give a better raw conversion, comparable with C1. There is a difference in philosophy between the two. C1 gives you an auto adjusted file to start with. LR assumes you are in control from the beginning and hence gives a flatter looking starting point. However, LR has setiings for all the Fuji film simulations and you can make your own import presets.

If you want tethering I believe C1 is the way to go.

C1 is not really a one off payment license. When an upgrade is released you will have to pay a hefty sum to get it.  Otherwise you can pay monthly - same as Lightroom. Also you get Photoshop and Lightroom in the Adobe subscription. I am a Photoshop user so it's  a LR no brainer for me.

A few thoughts on the differences between LR and C1 as we've experienced it. We moved to C1 5 years ago, though we still have LR expertise and updates as well.

Whether C1 gives you an 'adjusted file' to start with or not is a matter of configuration. You can start with the pure RAW file (standard or linear response) or with the jpeg settings (film simulations etc.) applied. By the way, in my field (fashion and beauty) I don't know anyone who uses the film simulations (either Fuji, Nikon or whatever brand) as a starting point for raw editing. Most of us use a predefined Style that is applied at import. What LR calls Presets, C1 refers to as Styles. 

C1 also provides you with the Fuji film simulations to choose from and these are configured in close cooperation with Fujifilm. They're much more similar to the 'official' in-camera film simulations than the LR 'Fuji film simulations', because they don't rely on the generic sliders only. By the way, the digital Fuji in-camera film simulations don't really resemble the analogue film look they're named after. In fact, there are C1 Styles available that have a closer resemblance to the different Fujifilm analogue film looks. So, when you prefer e.g. the Velvia or Astia film look, you might be better off with these specialized Styles. 

For tethering C1 is indeed the standard. Together with the Live feature I can tether my shooting sessions and have an art director viewing and rating the images in real time. Even when they're located at the other side of the world. Great feature.

In terms of color management C1 is vastly superior to LR. The color editor is by far the best I know of. It is much more geared to professional use. For example, the sliders in C1 in general have less reach (less extremes) than LR, but are way more controllable.

As for DAM (Digital Asset Management) LR's Catalogue has more options for tagging and searching. The C1 catalogue is a bit more basic, though for many users that's enough. However, most professional photographers that I know, don't use Catalogues, but the C1 Sessions feature. It fits the workflow way better. Unfortunately LR doesn't have that at all. For the best DAM, many professionals use Photo Mechanic as a specialized tool for keeping track of 100k's or even millions of images.

In terms of costs, I think C1 is a bit more expensive if you want to stay up-to-date. Esp. if you also need Photoshop. When we moved to the Apple M1 platforms, we switched to Affinity Photo instead of Photoshop. Our two in-house editors prefer that now, though it is harder to find people with expertise on AP externally (though when you know PS, learning AP is a matter of a few days). 

 

Edited by Herco
Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone has aleady said, stick with Lightroom and buy X-Transformer. Learn to use Lightroom (it does take time, but in my opinion is easier than C1) and enjoy Photoshop too, as it is included in the plan. If you want upgrades with C1 you will either have to pay dearly for them or join their monthly rental plan, which is more expensive than the Adobe plan - and no Photoshop. Also the DAM in C1 is not a patch on Lightroom. Admittedly that might not matter too much depending on how many files you have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just as an FYI:  I did not ready ANYONE ELSE's comments here recently since there was an individual here back in January that was a total tool.

I have been a LR user since version 1A BETA in 2006-7.  I love Lightroom.  However once I switched to Fuji in 2012 I was always looking for an alternate processing method such as Iridienet Developer, Luminar, etc because LR just did not cut it - with the worms, and the sharpening issues.  I LOVE LR for the catalog feature but most if not all of my Fuji raws are processed in C1Pro.

I've been using Capture One Pro for about three years and IMHO it is the BEST processor for Fuji Raw files.  I have a pretty slick workflow to upload my images to LR, cull there, then transition the raws I want to work on over to C1Pro.  Once I'm done there, I have a very simple export to move them back into LR.

Hope that helps.

J

 

Edited by jlmphotos
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Stick with Lightroom and buy X-Transformer (cheap). Use X-Transformer to convert the raws to DNG raw. You will find that your worms are gone. I believe that camera specific versions of C1 have been  discontinued.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...