What's the best online backup solution?

MrPolite

I know Amazon started offering unlimited storage for photo for a cheap price, but that doesn't seem to include support for Fuji RAF files. They do have an alternate unlimited "everything" but the price is higher.

Just wondering if any folks here have used online backup services and recommend any specific service?

Edit: I'm looking for a solution with unlimited space, given how large Fuji RAW files can be

I don't trust any online plan and I have Amazon Prime so I can use their cloud service for free.  with only 190,000 images I trust ME.  I have a 16TB Drobo, plus two 8TB each WD Thunderbolt drives.  Every now and then, one of the drives i move to one of my relatives.

Plus I have daily backups I run...

I am considering a personal cloud from WD or one of its competitors, configured as a fault tolerant RAID. It will be installed at the home of a friend, so if a power surge wipes out my storage at home, I will still have a set of images. As with any cloud, it can be accessed via the Interwebs from anywhere. (I do have fault tolerant backups at home as well)

I am considering a personal cloud from WD or one of its competitors, configured as a fault tolerant RAID. It will be installed at the home of a friend, so if a power surge wipes out my storage at home, I will still have a set of images. As with any cloud, it can be accessed via the Interwebs from anywhere. (I do have fault tolerant backups at home as well)

what software are you using to automate the process/replication across your place and friend's place? (or are you making the copies manually?)

thanks everyone else for the replies

what software are you using to automate the process/replication across your place and friend's place? (or are you making the copies manually?)

thanks everyone else for the replies

The various cloud devices seem to also come bundled with automated backup software. If I go this route, I will probably use Directory Opus resource management software instead. No automation, just drag and drop since it will see the cloud as a local drive. 

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

The cloud device I am looking at can also be used as a NAS. Upon taking delivery, I will hook it to the machine I use for network storage and transfer all the files I want into the cloud device—no need for taking up the Internet bandwidth to initially copy loads of files. Once in opperation, as I transfer files to the graphics machine, a copy will go to the storage machine and then via the Internet to the cloud at my friend's home. It looks very flexible and adaptable to whatever workflow you are accustomed to.

Don't you think it would be better if you have a personalized cloud device dedicated to store your stuff? It's just an opinion and I'm sure that there are many other better options available out there that would suit your needs. Cloud backup has it's share of advantages compared to others as it's easier to copy large number number of files in a short span of time. I've used an online cloud backup software with good effect: http://www.storagepipe.com/services/online-backup-and-recovery-service/ and it has served it's purpose well. I hope it will be of some help to you as well. Like I said, there are n number of options available, the choice is your's. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• It is really easy to find out if the wifi is on. Your computer or tablet or cell phone will have a network settings dealing with wifi, bluetooth, ethernet or “other”. Open that up and go into the section for wifi, and take note of which networks are listed. Turn on the camera and keep watching the list of networks. If your camera’s wifi is turned on, a new network should suddenly show up in your computer/tablet/phone’s network listings. Now go into the camera’s menus and start a wireless connection (the x-app or camera remote app can help you with this). You should see a network show up now. It is not hidden because it has to be visible so that your computer/tablet/phone can join the camera’s network to transfer images. Turn the camera off and that network should disappear. Turn the camera back on and see what happens.
    • Sweet Creek Falls, Oregon. X-H1, Viltrox 13mm F1.4, Acros.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• I think my Fuji 150-600 F8 is a brilliant wildlife lens in terms of sharpness, portability and value but the small aperture does cause issues at the start and end of the day - even pushing the ISO as far as I dare, I can see shutter speed down to 1/25s - stabilisation isn't an issue but asking a deer to stand still for that is too much! In the same situation, an F4 would give 1/100s so the difference to the success rate would be phenomenal... and that's without the other improvements like shallower depth of field. I also find that the Fuji's subject detect AF gets pretty iffy in low light - I keep updating to the latest firmware but it doesn't seem to get any better. I was originally looking at the Nikon 500mm F4 E but good examples secondhand are still reasonably expensive but like-for-like Sigma lenses are around half the price. Reviews I have read suggest that they are as good optically, AF performance and IS-wise but you gain a few hundred grams of weight (but less than the older Nikon model). For a couple of grand, I can live with that. Does anyone have any experience mounting one on an XH2S? What about with the 1.4 teleconverter? It feels like that is pushing it anyway - hefty lens + TC + Fringer all sounds a bit...wobbly? It is on the Fringer approved list but I am wary about AF speed in particular. I had also considered looking for a used Nikon 400mm F2.8, which would be even faster (and heavier) and could couple with a TC to give 560mm F4 but again, it is that lens+TC+Fringer combination that worries me as being just too many links in the chain. Of course, what I really want is a native Fuji prime but that doesn't seem to be on the horizon - and if you look at what Nikon and Sony are doing, if Fuji do ever bring out a 500mm prime, it will probably be a small, light and cheapish F5.6, which is only 2/3 stop better than my zoom at the same focal length. Any thoughts anyone?
    • The Amazon link is an annoying feature of this forum - its automatic and is applied to every post for advertising purposes. My question was - how do you know the camera wi-fi is on and requires turning off? I would have thought this would just use up the battery for no purpose if you aren't specifically using a function that requires wi-fi.
    • I've made a point to push Angelbird memory products as they are the best performance cards you can get, The sustained write speed is important.