Fujifilm instax Sp1 for traveling

Koban

The Fujifilm instax Sp1 is a real nice have when traveling. We now traveling through Indonesia and instead of giving money I give them a photo with a personal message. Every one was very happy with this kind of gift showing of to other people.

The photos are not high quality but what can you expect from a polaroid ? People are happy when they get this as a gift. ;-)

So when you're are traveling to a country like Indonesia, Thailand, India people love to get this kind of gifts On the image one of the people I gave the photo. The photo does take some time to develop. I can't stop looking at it. He was so proud on his photo That all his friends have to see it 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is a very cool tool! I used it a lot during my travel in Cambodia for the fair trade X-shirts

Just a tip: the printed Images tend to be a bit overexposed sometimes. I generally slightly underexpose the image in the internal RAW converter and then print it for the people

This is just one of the many shots I was able to snatch, with the promise of a little print. She was really looking forward to get it :)

P.S.: Enjoy your travel in Indonesia

I've got the Mini 90 - I'd still like to pick up the SP-1 eventually. I haven't used it for any serious work yet, but I used it at my wedding rehearsal and everyone loved it. I'm shooting a few weddings this summer, and my plan is to take a photo of the bride and groom at the end of the night and leave it with them just before I leave.

I'm almost convinced into buying one. Almost. That'll be so much better than business cards!…

Just one question. I know that you can print directly from the X-T1. But can you watermark the image while still omitting the middleman (smartphone/tablet)? I mean, is there a way to set up a watermark as an in-printer preset?

Watermark I do not get it. Why do you want that on a polaroid photo? I use it as a gift to thank people. Not much people appreciate a watermark. I personally also do not like it. 

You can print your contact info below the photo. This is what I do in some cases ;-)

One of yesterday. The little girl was really proud on here photo ;-)

I know that you can print directly from the X-T1. But can you watermark the image while still omitting the middleman (smartphone/tablet)? I mean, is there a way to set up a watermark as an in-printer preset?

I don't think it's possible. You have to send it to your Smartphone/Tablet first, edit it there, and then send it to the printer.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this little printer. When I have finished shooting a wedding I find a quiet place to sit and pick 10 images from the day then send them to my iPad, edit them and print using the SP1. I then put the 10 prints in a wooden presentation box and hand it to the bride as a special thank you gift. The brides always love it.

• 2 weeks later...

how are you handling the film when travelling abroad?  I know the film is ISO800 and depending on who you ask, the airport terminal X-Ray scanner may or may not fog the film.  It's fine asking for a hand check with TSA when speaking in your native tongue, but when you are a foreign country, I find it a pain as usually my words gets lost in translation.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased the X100t and I'm really enjoying using this printer.  The "quality" definitely seemed better out of my phone since I have better control over exposure, contrast, etc.  So as Patrick was saying you have to decrease the exposure in camera.  

I too wish they made a wide version.  

The SP-1 is also something I have been considering for a long time, almost even before I picked up my X-T1.

I considered it in the line of my work but decided against it, I would prefer to keep it as an entertainment, just like my Fuji gear.

Anyway, the device is sitting on my Wishlist and one day I will pop it open and get it.

Quick questions for the printer owners, how tough are the picture ? I mean, can they be crunched easily like paper (which I doubt) or are they on par with the old polaroid ?

Also, is there any color loss as time passes ? I remember some old polaroid getting a yellowish tint after a while.

They are just like old Polaroids.  Not sure about color loss as I have only had it for four or five months...I would imagine like a Polaroid over time the color would change.  The SP-1 is an essential part of my kit.

The SP-1 is also something I have been considering for a long time, almost even before I picked up my X-T1.

I considered it in the line of my work but decided against it, I would prefer to keep it as an entertainment, just like my Fuji gear.

Anyway, the device is sitting on my Wishlist and one day I will pop it open and get it.

Quick questions for the printer owners, how tough are the picture ? I mean, can they be crunched easily like paper (which I doubt) or are they on par with the old polaroid ?

Also, is there any color loss as time passes ? I remember some old polaroid getting a yellowish tint after a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Bali Kids Love Instax

I love this little printer. When I have finished shooting a wedding I find a quiet place to sit and pick 10 images from the day then send them to my iPad, edit them and print using the SP1. I then put the 10 prints in a wooden presentation box and hand it to the bride as a special thank you gift. The brides always love it.

Unsure if you've considered this but print one at the reception for the bride.  Not only will the bride be impressed but so will her family and guests as your image (most often!) circulates the room.  I got quite a few inquiries last summer during receptions due to prints from the SP-1.

Cheers!

how are you handling the film when travelling abroad?  I know the film is ISO800 and depending on who you ask, the airport terminal X-Ray scanner may or may not fog the film.  It's fine asking for a hand check with TSA when speaking in your native tongue, but when you are a foreign country, I find it a pain as usually my words gets lost in translation.

i had to open a pack of film in Cancun, Mexico last summer as the language barrier made things difficult.  they got it after a while.

i had to open a pack of film in Cancun, Mexico last summer as the language barrier made things difficult.  they got it after a while.

thanks for the update.  I ended up going a different path and sold the SP-1 and film and purchased a Polaroid Zip.  It's the Zero-Ink technology so there's no fear of X-Ray machines fogging up the paper and the prints are a lot cheaper as well.  However I do prefer the look and feel of the Instax paper...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, 

I just received my SP-1 today together with a 2x10 pack of film. They both had a mist on the right side of the photographs, I tested the first ten on my phone and camera, called the shop and they said to test the second pack too. After that I called them again and said the 11th and 12th shot had the same misty strip on the right side, they think it's the film and not the printer. Did you have anything like that?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone experienced connection issues with your X cameras?

In short there is printer specific SSID (printed on back of printer) unique number. It is to be entered in camera to establish connection. I successfully connected and used printer from iPad app, but to no avail with X-T1, X100T and XQ2 (all with latest fw). Checking wifi settings on iPad revealed printer broadcasting SSID beginning with symbol ")" instead of printed on back "0".

Could anyone of You (happy owners of SP-1) check the connection SSID when connected to smartphone to confirm if it is the same as listed on back of Your printer? Thanks in advance!

(Update) It was manufacturing fault. Replacement on it's way.