When will the pre WR lenses get updated?

rheistand

Hey guys, I want the 10-24 but with the recent rumors that fuji plans to hold off on the 33 1.0 to update their earlier lenses with weather sealing and I'm guessing updated ois Im considering waiting. 

Has anyone heard or have a logical opinion when they will be updating these lenses? fujirumors lens map shows the 33 1.0 around feb of 2017. If thats close to accurate is it fair to assume between now and then they will be rolling out updated lenses? There seems to be no info on this.

Edited by rheistand

fujirumors lens map shows the 33 1.0 around feb of 2017. If thats close to accurate is it fair to assume between now and then they will be rolling out updated lenses?

Hardly more then one or two lenses.

Edited by mdm

You probably have as much information about this as anyone else aside from people at Fuji. It's really a guessing game aside from the 23mm being the strongest candidate for the next WR update according to multiple rumors. My best guess would be a WR 10-24mm is pretty far down the priority list. The internal zooming of that lens makes weather sealing less necessary and a lot of people complain about the size already. I don't find the size to be too much of an issue except for the lens hood, which greatly expands the footprint of the 10-24mm when attached. Weather sealing would likely compound the size complaints. They were able to shrink the 35mm f/2 WR compared to the f/1.4 partly by reducing the optical components in favor of digital correction instead of optical correction. On a "normal" focal length, this is much more practical, but on the 10-24mm there is already A LOT of digital correction going on in the image at the wider focal lengths. Adding a significant amount more digital correction and removing some of the optical components to compensate for the additional size of weather sealing very well may reduce image quality, which Fuji has already said is their #1 priority across the system. Additionally, they had some room to cut out a stop of aperture and still have a reasonably fast lens. They don't have that room to maneuver with the 10-24mm at f/4. If they could pull it off, I would welcome the update, but I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon. That's another reason why I own both the 16mm WR and the 10-24mm..... and why I would just buy the current 10-24mm if you feel a need for it.

Edited by Nero

You probably have as much information about this as anyone else aside from people at Fuji. It's really a guessing game aside from the 23mm being the strongest candidate for the next WR update according to multiple rumors. My best guess would be a WR 10-24mm is pretty far down the priority list. The internal zooming of that lens makes weather sealing less necessary and a lot of people complain about the size already. I don't find the size to be too much of an issue except for the lens hood, which greatly expands the footprint of the 10-24mm when attached. Weather sealing would likely compound the size complaints. They were able to shrink the 35mm f/2 WR compared to the f/1.4 partly by reducing the optical components in favor of digital correction instead of optical correction. On a "normal" focal length, this is much more practical, but on the 10-24mm there is already A LOT of digital correction going on in the image at the wider focal lengths. Adding a significant amount more digital correction and removing some of the optical components to compensate for the additional size of weather sealing very well may reduce image quality, which Fuji has already said is their #1 priority across the system. Additionally, they had some room to cut out a stop of aperture and still have a reasonably fast lens. They don't have that room to maneuver with the 10-24mm at f/4. If they could pull it off, I would welcome the update, but I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon. That's another reason why I own both the 16mm WR and the 10-24mm..... and why I would just buy the current 10-24mm if you feel a need for it.

Thanks man I appreciate all the info, makes sense. I have a trip Id used it on in a few months. I'll just buy it before. That certainly makes my decision easier.

Hoping for a compact 56 f/1.8 (or even 2 is fine) for half the price of the 56 f/1.2  :)

You know the 60mm F2.4 pretty much fit your request, right ?

Otherwise, legacy lenses. A focal reducers with any of the 50-60mm legacy lenses would fit your need perfectly and you would still have some money left over.

I see no reason to update the 10-24 yet. It came out 2 years ago and is still to be considered a brand new lens by any standards. I can see the need for WR but I think a 23/2 WR and 56 with a slower aperture are first to arrive. Also, there's a lot of Fujis R&D people working on medium format and lenses so I wouldn't be surprised if there's hardly anything happening regarding the WR UWA zoom.

To my knowledge Fuji hasn't updated any lenses yet. (With the exception of a mild improvement to the XC zooms)

They have released a smaller, cheaper 35 and a smaller, cheaper 23 is rumored to be in the pipeline.

Canon updates there prime lenses about every 20-25 years. If Fuji follows the Canon model, then look for replacements around 2035 or so.  ;)

To my knowledge Fuji hasn't updated any lenses yet. (With the exception of a mild improvement to the XC zooms)

They have released a smaller, cheaper 35 and a smaller, cheaper 23 is rumored to be in the pipeline.

Canon updates there prime lenses about every 20-25 years. If Fuji follows the Canon model, then look for replacements around 2035 or so.  ;)

But since fuji didn't stay in the game like canon (I know they produced commercial specialty lenses) and basically started from scratch with the x series wouldn't they want to update some of their early and less refined offerings? Like the 35 1.4 and 18? Every lens they release now is sharper with better autofocus motors, weather sealed and better ois. So you would think they would go and tidy up their early stuff to be on par with everything else they are putting out. Technology always gets better but their early stuff is further behind then just tech advancement. It was first offering inefficiencies.  

You know the 60mm F2.4 pretty much fit your request, right ?

Otherwise, legacy lenses. A focal reducers with any of the 50-60mm legacy lenses would fit your need perfectly and you would still have some money left over.

I heard the AF is really slow from what I heard though. And also, it could be even smaller. Just look at Canons 50 f/1.8 STM. 2cms shorter and 55g lighter.

I heard the AF is really slow from what I heard though. And also, it could be even smaller. Just look at Canons 50 f/1.8 STM. 2cms shorter and 55g lighter.

It's slow but not that slow beside the XF 56 F1.2 is about as slow AF. If you don't use the lens to take shots of fast moving subjects you will be fine.

The Canon 50 F1.8 is also made of plastic while both the 56 and 60 are metal made, so obviously they are going to be heavier. Beside, the Canon lens does not reproduce the same field of view as the 56/60, you should rather compare it to a 85mm for a better lens to body ratio.

Not really slow. Consider that it has a much wider range of focus in order to get down to .5×, and focus speed is pretty normal. A small trade-off for much greater versatility. Nine bladed aperture for smooth out-of-focus backgrounds. Half-a-second added anticipation will handle the greater range of focus. A truly fine lens.

But since fuji didn't stay in the game like canon (I know they produced commercial specialty lenses) and basically started from scratch with the x series wouldn't they want to update some of their early and less refined offerings? Like the 35 1.4 and 18? Every lens they release now is sharper with better autofocus motors, weather sealed and better ois. So you would think they would go and tidy up their early stuff to be on par with everything else they are putting out. Technology always gets better but their early stuff is further behind then just tech advancement. It was first offering inefficiencies.  

That depends.

I find the 18 and 35 to offer superb artistic qualities. Especially the 35 is sharp enough wide open for portraits and stopped down to 5.6 it acts as a sharp-across-the-frame landscape lens.

Offering lenses in the portfolio that do multiple things rather than just sharpness is a blessing for photographers. Maybe you're too much down the technical route?

It would be great if Fuji updated their lenses every few years. I'm just saying that it took Canon a quarter-century to update their original EOS primes, but some people are expecting Fuji to do it after a mere 2-3 years. That seems unreasonable, and unlikely. 

It would be fine to run a kind of trade-in program for outdated lenses. They can serve as an official second hand market for customers with titgh budget at a moment, or beginners or trials, etc., so number of glued to X-system will grow in progression. But such program is almost impossible without well-spreading of authorized services. 

Not really slow. Consider that it has a much wider range of focus in order to get down to .5×, and focus speed is pretty normal. A small trade-off for much greater versatility. Nine bladed aperture for smooth out-of-focus backgrounds. Half-a-second added anticipation will handle the greater range of focus. A truly fine lens.

Having 2 more blades than the 56, does this means the 60 produces smoother bookeh than the 56?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes although in order to get bokeh with the 60mm you are probably going to shoot it wide open at 2.4 at which point the blades are not having any effect. At 2.8 its bokeh will be smoother than the 56mm and 2.8

However the 56mm and 1.2 its fairly nice :)

Don't get me wrong I love the 60mm and I actually found in certain circumstances it focused faster than the 56mm on an X-T1 with all updates.

This brings me to something that really annoys me about Fuji lens and people keep passing on secondhand information thats probably out of date. Probably 80% of my Fuji lens have been bought S/Hand and of those ALL of them were on original firmware and had not been updated.

I think that a lot of people buy a lens try it, don't update firmware and then write it off as not good enough. Others read the original review from the old firmware and take that as gospel.

Buy or hire the lens, update the firmware, use it and then you are entitled to comment on it.

I really don't want to hear any more he said she said stuff, its often out of date and incorrect and will cause people to make incorrect buying choices and potentially waste there money.

G

I really don't want to hear any more he said she said stuff, its often out of date and incorrect and will cause people to make incorrect buying choices and potentially waste there money.

G

Welcome to the Internet?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk