Kaizen Again? Fuji X-T1 will get another Firmware update this year! (AS) - Which New Features would you like to get?

Patrick FR

longer exposure time --> 120'' at least ^_^

blub mode in the smartphone app 

shooting by using the eye viewfiner detector like sony touchless shutter https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-C10005

more grid type

full  control smartphone app (Now is not able to switch PASM mode or other setting on the camera when it is Remoted)

Value level of angle  in exif (maybe this is yet accessible ?) B)

TTL wireless of course with a new cool cobra flash from Fuji :wub:

larger braketing setting more than ±1 ev on more than 3 steps 

• blub mode in the smartphone app 

That's a great idea I hadn't heard yet. Touch to start, touch to end and you obviously won't affect the camera's stability. 

Would go great with an increased max shutter length (30s is too short as many have noted) and a non-stupid app connection/reconnection system, but could solve my night photo problems on it's own if they just made it work. 

I do love my X-T1, and recommend it without reservation for most applications. Having said that there's always ways to improve.  I have a rather lengthy dream list.

Presets

- Saved Presets Functionality: The presets are very accessible via the Q button to but only saves photo settings and not camera settings. For RAW shooters, there's almost no reason to use the presets. If it saved all settings it would be a huge plus.  So for example, then I could have a preset for Zone: set Mechanical Shutter only, Disable Face detection, and set Zone focus.  A preset for Friend: disable most buttons, Eye Detection enabled, Spot focus.

- Name the Saved Presets: If the presets were more useful, then it becomes important to be able to name them.  

- In the Q menu, the current Saved Preset that is in use should be displayed. Once set (to "C1" for example), the Q menu will still display "Basic".

Me too about Presets, all software settings should be saved, so you would have the camera set up for different situations (action shots, close portraits, flash works etc)

I'll also add:

ISO to be set by one of the front/back wheels, just like shutter speed with the new firmware when dial is on T (for ISO, one could choose H1 or H2 to give up control to the selected wheel)

• Live time long exposure like olympus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DlBGkHd4gYL ( if this is free patent  :ph34r: )
  • longer exposure time --> 120'' at least ^_^
  • blub mode in the smartphone app 
  • shooting by using the eye viewfiner detector like sony touchless shutter https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-C10005
  • more grid type
  • full  control smartphone app (Now is not able to switch PASM mode or other setting on the camera when it is Remoted)
  • Value level of angle  in exif (maybe this is yet accessible ?) B)
  • TTL wireless of course with a new cool cobra flash from Fuji :wub:
  • larger braketing setting more than ±1 ev on more than 3 steps 

• 24h  time format   ;)
  • Copyright in camera settings

Might sound too minor, but it bugs me frequently -- give me the option of having the rear LCD automatically turn on when I hit the menu button (like it does when I hit play). (Reason: I prefer to shoot in EVF only+eye sensor mode, but prefer to access the menu from the rear LCD. Now to do this I have to hit menu then view mode, then when I'm done hit view mode three times to get back).

Might sound too minor, but it bugs me frequently -- give me the option of having the rear LCD automatically turn on when I hit the menu button (like it does when I hit play). (Reason: I prefer to shoot in EVF only+eye sensor mode, but prefer to access the menu from the rear LCD. Now to do this I have to hit menu then view mode, then when I'm done hit view mode three times to get back).

Another solution to the problem (No way to use LCD for menu in "only eye+sensor" mode): Option that just enables "eye sensor" when you are in the menu or playback mode, even if you are normally in "eye+sensor" mode. I.e. When shooting only the EVF works, but when reviewing/menu it switches between LCD/EVF depending on the sensor. 

I bet most people wouldn't mind if this was the default, since it's so natural to use the menu on the LCD. The option would be better off by default though, in case people got used to the old way and prefer it for stealth reasons (I would use eye+sensor only mode at a concert or show, where I didn't want the LCD to come on so that I didn't bother people). 

it might be naive and may be I overlook somethink but from satellite data processing I'm used to various processing levels - I could imagine a third intermediate output option to complement the raw and jpeg output. This could be something like linear DNG or maybe 16bit Tiff-files (with applied LMO?). Compared to the raw format we would not have the chance to use newer better demosaicing algorithms which might come up some day but would be able to use the full dynamic range of the image, white balance, highlight recovery, film simulations and so on and could reduce the discussion about the most suitable suitable demosaicing of xtrans. I'm sorry if I missed this suggestion but as far as I'm aware no one has suggested this yet.

When in playback mode, it would be nice to see the image on the lcd screen flip from horizontal to vertical when moved in such a way.

Would be particularly helpful when on a tripod low down to review the shot without moving the camera to the horizontal position. 

Would also be a priceless feature simply to be able to use the whole screen to review vertical photos. Fuji's never really gotten a great UI worked out for reviewing tall photos. On the X-E1 it was just terrible and you couldn't even get decent magnification for analysis. On the X-T10 it's much better but still flawed because as soon as you zoom in you're seeing only the center of the photo. 

The lack of "vertical review" is most offensive when reviewing images in the EVF because if you are shooting vertically you see the instant-review in the correct format (filling the screen) but playback mode in the EVF has no "rotation awareness" and shows you what you would see if you were holding the camera normally. 

Please Fuji: When the camera is rotated in playback mode show images rotated!

OK so if your really asking what I would really like to see in the new upgrade, then here goes:-

1)

Changing the Wifi connection so that the camera wifi can be initiated as a wireless hotspot, allowing any computer or device to connect to it with appropiate password.  If the WIFI card in the camera can support the AP function then this would just make logical sense.  I have never been able to connect the camera to my macbook via external router, but also when I am on location shooting I never really have access to an external router, only my camera and laptop.

If a device could connect to the camera and see the card as a storage device, then it would be fairly easy for individuals to write there own scripts to move files to the computer, with the computer doing the processing work. (less overhead on the camera).

2)

Support for digital focal zoning - ie, on lenses like the 56mm it would be nice to see a relevant digital focus zone range, that changes with apeture.

3)

The ability to place the histogram full screen. It would be nice to have this on the back screen while still being able to look through the EVF without it.

4)

Additional customisation of functions - So for example, if I set a function button to face recognition, instead of getting the menu that says ON or OFF, the button could simply act as a switch, 1 press ON, 1 Press OFF.

5)

More control over manual focuing sensitivity - The ability to set this.

6)

The ability to edit the name of the Custom settings.

:-)

How about +/- 3 stop auto bracketing? Seriously, I don't see how that could require any more than 5 minutes worth of programming time by their software developers!

+1 here too. It's just a software thing that should be easy to fix. This is really the only thing I'm missing now with firmware 4.0

Oh, and it would be nice with an image number/total in playback. Like 56/70 to show that you are looking at image no 56 out of 70 total.

Here's what I'd like to see:

- Auto-DR allowing for 400% (as a setting)

- Focus Frame Tracking like it is available in the X-M1, A1 and A2: Put your active AF frame on something you like to focus on, engage AF Tracking (in the M1 and alike it's one of the arrow keys, but I'd prefer to put it onto the AF-L or onother fd-key) and reframe. The AF frame then moves across the frame while remaining on the subject.
It works quite nicely and it saves you from having to manually move around focus frames.

(I was very disappointed when this wasn't available in the X-E2 and X-Tx, particularly because I don't see why. I had hoped that wide tracking in the FW4.0 would bring this, but it's different and doesn't serve this purpose.)

- Miniumum shutter speed depending on the focal length (optional, preferably also taking OIS into account)

- Option to switch off skin-NR on high ISO

- Batch RAW >> jpeg conversion

2)

Support for digital focal zoning - ie, on lenses like the 56mm it would be nice to see a relevant digital focus zone range, that changes with apeture.

I think this is already supported by the "Distance Indicator" (see page 5 of manual, also referred to as "depth-of-field indicator" on their site), which shows how far away the focus point is as well as the range in front of and behind focus that should be sharp. It got really small in the new cameras but was huge and turquoise on the originals so it was harder to miss.

4)

Additional customisation of functions - So for example, if I set a function button to face recognition, instead of getting the menu that says ON or OFF, the button could simply act as a switch, 1 press ON, 1 Press OFF.

The good news about this one is that they seem to agree and have fixed it on the X-T10. Pushing the FD button just turns it on/off like the view mode button which is great (only problem: Lack of communication. There's no graphic that pops up to confirm your change, you need to keep the focus mode icon visible because it looks different when FD is enabled)

• Better battery life

% battery indicator

ability to add above ISO6400 on Auto ISO

reprogramable video button

faster way of connecting to phone app

two button hold formatting like Nikon

blown out highlight blinkies!

ability to use menu on lcd when in EVF only mode

BETTER BATTERY LIFE!!!

• Better battery life
  • BETTER BATTERY LIFE!!!

I doubt there will be a firmware update that magically improves battery life in a significant way. You should get a few extras, the off-brand ones are cheap and work well.

The latest firmware also does a WAY better job of using the 3 chunks of "battery life" to display remaining power, so you have a much longer warning period (the old display was basically broken and the last 2 chunks represented a tiny fraction of total power). 

In order of what I perceive to be ease of implementation:

1) Allow the use of flash in continuous drive mode (probably Fuji's biggest WTF)

2) Rear-curtain sync with any flash unit/remote (Nikon's been doing it for decades)

3) +- 5 stop bracketing, or +- 7 stop bracketing, with 3 or 5 shot option (Again, a place where Fuji is way behind)

4) And addition "short" sweep panorama mode - about a third shorter than the current M sweep panorama

5) Real rear button AF capability (again, way behind the times here)

6) A EVF/LCD mode where you use the EVF (with eye detect) for shooting, but when you hit the menu button, that appears on the rear LCD.

7) Improved Face detection/eye detection algorithms

8) HSS (and a partnership with Godox or Yongnuo for trigger and flash support)

Fuji, if you are reading this please implement the following in the next firmware update.

Others have mentioned these already in this thread, but I thought it's worth adding another voice to the wish list ;)

- Improved bracketing options

- A better battery life indicator

- AF-L back button focus in AF-C and AF-S mode

- Option to disable NR processing

- Auto-ISO dependant on focal length and OIS

Thanks Fuji :D

A few small suggestions

- the ability to customise the name of custom sets.  iow change the C1, C2 labels 

- in addition to the often mentioned increase in bracketed images, to identify them in the filename e.g DSC0034-1, DSC0034-2

-  Allow the user to identify which bracketing option was used e.g. in an IPTC field

- the ability to set IPTC data of photo's when shooting them.  e.g. location, job nr, ... 

- the ability to backup and restore camera configs and/or allowing them to sync across bodies

Expanding the bracketing options.

Better definiton of the peaking focus, just make it brighter and more red.  :P

Disconect the sound and flash link on X-T1  (murder for new users of the system).

Raw on the L H1 H2 iso.

Back button focus as mentioned.

Just so Fuji know, I love my X-T1 :wub:

I would love to see Film Stimulation Bracketing of 2 styles, 3 styles, 4 styles, 5 styles, all at the same time that you can simultaneously shoot a RAW image. Bracketing of 2, 3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9 with all of the bracketing options from film simulation, exposure Compensation, white balance, sharpness, NR, Saturation, etc.  After all, these cameras are really computers and nothing is impossible to add.  
And the 3 things I want for all the new Fujifilm camera bodies would be a fully articulating rear screen, in-body stabilization and built in GPS Geo-Tagging without need for a smartphone.