X-T1 Firmware 4.20 RELEASED

Patrick FR

Overriding AF with manual / zoom much better. 

one thing I do not like - when you AF lock it turn the focus box green, but when you rotate focus manually it changes back to white. However AF is still locked. You can take many shots and it will not AF.  Kinda OK if AF/AE locked as AE lock displayed at bottom of screen 

Still a bug with clutch lenses.  with focus ring pulled back and MF set on front selector if the AF-lock button is pressed it does nothing, IMO it should instantly focus - like it does with say 35mm f1.4 in MF mode

Isn't the clutch a mechanical thing? There is probably no firmware that can make it autofocus when the clutch is enaged.

Isn't the clutch a mechanical thing? There is probably no firmware that can make it autofocus when the clutch is enaged.

Well, you can autofocus with the focus ring pulled back if the camera is in autofocus mode. And this is also the solution to justintime99's puzzle, really, because in that mode you can manually focus (when AF+MF is ON), too. But only while the shutter button is half-pressed.

Here the link to the explanations

X-T1/X-T1 Graphite Silver Edition New Features Guide[Ver.4.20](PDF : 764KB)

Let me say first I am very grateful with all these firmware updates for my X-T1. But I confess it is a challenge to absorb all the information about AF, MF, clutch, AF+MF, FOCUS ASSIST, AF-L and so on. But I am in good company: I mean, the Fuji employees that wrote this upgrade manual, as there are minor errors on it. On page EN-1, on the second column (Section), at No.16 it should be written "AF+MF operation with AF-L button" and not "AM+MF Focus Zoom", which should be written at No.17, and they can abandon that "Checking Focus" text. Just trying to lessen a bit the entropy. Hope Fuji can correct this in a new version or even sort out a whole corrected and updated manual. Dreaming is free!

Edited: I don't know what I did that I came to delete the original milandro post reference, from yesterday, 09:13 AM. Sorry about this!

I have a question   :blink:

Upon download on my Imac, two files with the same name were downloaded, I found this strange, that’s why I did it twice to make sure I didn’t press by mistake the mouse twice.

Second time the same thing happened.

The files appear identical and have the same name

FWUP0005.DAT

the second file receives the number 2 ( this is done by the computer automatically when downloading a copy of the same file you already have somewhere)

It is my understanding that uploading the second one ( with the 2 in the name) might be giving problems.

Before I do anything silly, I am waiting for the rest to tell me what they have downloaded and how they dealt with it.

Funny that this did not happen with me. Anyway, the MD5 hash of the 4.20 firmware upgrade file is B4B40D14D358861F3DDE359433A69E8D. This can be verified on online sites as http://onlinemd5.com/

I updated to firmware 4.20 (no double file fields for me)... But noticed (imagined?) something else - the video button works as a customisable Fn button but have to keep it pressed to activate the function assigned to it...like you would have done to start video recording. Will have to think some more about which function to assign to it.

Update: Now realised that you can't use this button in M mode.. Can you think of an assignable function which you wouldn't use in manual mode?

No, this wasn’t and still isn’t the case.

There were no other files left from previous downloads and the same thing has happened to both Mac and Windows users as others have experienced.

I’ve checked it again repeating the procedure and this “ bug” is still there although I am sure that neither now, nor before, were there any previous files anywhere on my computer.

I have uploaded only the first ( without the 2 in the name) and the firmware was uploaded just fine. The bug is in the Fuji system, which, for some reason,contains two identical files, not in the users.

I'm not familiar with Mac but in Windows renaming files on download is either a function of the browser, a third party download tool or the operating system... not the download site.  When files are renamed with an added identifier on download its to make them unique... meaning there's already one present with exactly the same name in the target download location.    I've picked up dozens of firmware files from Fuji over the years and never once have had this issue of duplicate files.

FYI... regardless of content (i.e., version) Fuji's firmware files are always the same size by camera body model or lens type.  You need to do a byte content compare in order to establish if the files are in fact different or identical.  Also, some folks don't seem to like Fuji's unique naming approach but it does have the advantage of allowing you to store multiple firmware files on the same SD card thus letting you make both body and lens updates without having to swap cards.

You are misinterpreting what I said.

The fuji official site, clicking on the firmware update link provides automatically TWO identical files.

On mac computers you even see the two files departing from the origin and reaching the target location ( which can be different and you can decide which location it will be).

I’ve tried several times, deleted the files and repeated the process to be sure that it was this way.

This was the first time ever this freak occurrence has happened. I am experienced with firmware update done for at least 4 lenses and 3 Fuji cameras before and never encountered this before.

I don’t and never did have any other fuji files left anywhere on my computer. 

Several people confirmed the same behavior at their end on their computer on at least two different platforms. Read that.

Fuji, by the way, for your information, advises against keeping old versions of the firmware updates on the card and specifically tells you to NOT store any there, not only, storing old version of the firmware might be not only be pointless but very dangerous since going back to older versions is impossible.

So it would be pointless, dangerous and outright stupid to keep older versions stored on the card or on the computer.

I am not stupid so, I don’t do it.

Obviously, once again proof that no good deed goes, as always, unpunished.

The fuji official site, clicking on the firmware update link provides automatically TWO identical files.

On mac computers you even see the two files departing from the origin and reaching the target location ( which can be different and you can decide which location it will be).

I’ve tried several times, deleted the files and repeated the process to be sure that it was this way.

This was the first time ever this freak occurrence has happened. I am experienced with firmware update done for at least 4 lenses and 3 Fuji cameras before and never encountered this before.

Several people confirmed the same behavior at their end on their computer on at least two different platforms. Read that.

Fuji, by the way, for your information, advises against keeping old versions of the firmware updates on the card and specifically tells you to NOT store any there, not only, storing old version of the firmware might be not only be pointless but very dangerous since going back to older versions is impossible.

So it would be pointless, dangerous and outright stupid to keep older versions stored on the card or on the computer.

One click of the Mouse.  Just like Milandro said.  This is what is happening.  I too can confirm that this is happening and, like we have both done, I have clicked the "Begin Download" button once.  These files, as you can see, are downloading simultaneously...

gallery_313_262_38612.png

This is what's behind the "Begin Download" button on Fuji's site "http://download.fujifilm.co.jp/pub/tools/xt1zFdD1N8Z/FWUP0005.DAT"... there's only one file in this link..  For whatever reason interaction between your Mac and the Fuji web site is triggering two consecutive download requests of the same thing. Since the OS won't support two identical filenames in the same download location the second gets renamed.

I'm not questioning the outcome at your end... simply saying this does not happen with Windows 7 and Firefox browser, period.  Finally, my point about having multiple firmware files on the same SD card was not about keeping older versions.  I keep the latest version of X-E1, X-E2, X-T1 and lens firmwares all on the same SD card in order to update other cameras or lenses from a single card.

Can't see what some points do.

5. Additional Custom Display options: Information background

New Custom Display options of fw 4.20 allow to disable additional items in Custom Display mode.

also:

Focus Frame - it's useful to disable when you use Manual Focus lens.

Shooting Mode - Icon of "A"/"P"/"M"/"S"/"Multiexposure"/"Panorama" on bottom left corner

Information Background - is the transparent bar behind Shutter/Aperture/ISO (on LCD only).

Focus Mode - "MF" icon (only shows when M focus mode is set).

Shutter Type - "ES"/"M+E" icon on the right screen border

Continuous Mode - "BKT"/"CH"/"CL" icon (when corresponding mode selected on left top dial).

Dual IS mode - IS indicator icon

Movie Mode - Icon in right top corner

Blur Warning - Yellow icon in right screen area (it's often annoying while shoting portraits, glad it can be disabled now).

I'm on a Mac too, currently OSX 10.11.1 with Safari 9.0.1 and I get one download!

Upgrading my X-T1 today, let's see what it brings us!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

New Custom Display options of fw 4.20 allow to disable additional items in Custom Display mode.

also:

Focus Frame - it's useful to disable when you use Manual Focus lens.

Shooting Mode - Icon of "A"/"P"/"M"/"S"/"Multiexposure"/"Panorama" on bottom left corner

Information Background - is the transparent bar behind Shutter/Aperture/ISO (on LCD only).

Focus Mode - "MF" icon (only shows when M focus mode is set).

Shutter Type - "ES"/"M+E" icon on the right screen borderContinuous Mode - "BKT"/"CH"/"CL" icon (when corresponding mode selected on left top dial).

Dual IS mode - IS indicator icon

Movie Mode - Icon in right top corner

Blur Warning - Yellow icon in right screen area (it's often annoying while shoting portraits, glad it can be disabled now).

This small post is much more easy to understand than Fuji manual. Could you please also explain point 2: instant AF setting in manual focus.

This small post is much more easy to understand than Fuji manual. Could you please also explain point 2: instant AF setting in manual focus.

Sure, it's also quite simple improvement, but it works in specific conditions.

CONDITIONS:

Lens has Autofocus ability

AF mode  = M

INSTANT AF SETTINGS = AF-S

AE-L/AF-L BUTTON SETTING = AE-L AF-L

When you press AF-L - lens Instantly Autofocuses on target, then Locks the focus. So you can do many shots for this locked focus.

For this feature you can also:

Lock focus by hold AF-L or single press (AE/AF-LOCK MODE)

Lock only Focus, or also lock Exposure (AF-LOCK MODE)

Use AE-L button instead of AF-L (AE-L/AF-L BUTTON SETTING)

If the lens don't have a clutch mecanism, setting the "M" mode (manual focus mode) in the X-T1 allows the use of the AF-L button to automatically focus (instant AF) AND lock the focus, but you still can use the focus ring to change the focus manually. It is more a way to instant AF in manual focus mode than to "lock" the focus. If the lens have a clutch mecanism, this procedure only works if the clutch mecanism is set in the AF position (the camera always in "M" mode); in this case, we only can focus using the AF-L button, and this is a very effective way of locking the focus because the focus ring can't move and the shutter don't focus in "M" mode. Hope this helps!