Is XC 50-230mm identical to XF 55-200mm?

knarf72

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking for myself, as a stock/travel shooter I've been tremendously impressed by the sheer sharpness and clarity coming from the 55-200.   Having been a Nikon full-frame shooter and having owned the famous 70-200 2.8VR1 I was so very surprised when I got the 55-200 how perfect it was - at about 1/2 the weight, size and 1/3rd the cost.

I do not have experience with the 50-230 but I will certainly vouch for the 55-200.  After I sold my Nikon gear I looked at the 50-140 2.8.  Looks like a true classic, and the reviews were great but the price, and especially the weight made me go with the 55-200.

You may want to consider renting each one if your budget allows, or borrowing one from someone that has one.   Ultimately the final decision is yours alone but right now the price difference between both is only US $150.00.  If you can, hold off on your decision and save a few bucks and get the 55-200.

Those are my 2 cents.

Portrait shot with the 55-230 mm (sorry for first post, file was too large emand then I had to run)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes, this minor upgrade of the lens was released, some time ago already, together with the new II version for the 16-50mm and the X-A2.

This camera was ( in a hurry) brought to the market attempting to bank on the “ selfie” craze featuring a upward tilt-able screen for selfies 

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_a2/

Because of this “ improved” selfie attitude, the lenses for the “ new” model had to be slightly changed so this lens focusses a little closer and has an improved OIS performance to 3 to 3.5 stops

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xc50_230mmf45_67_ois_2/

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xc50_230mmf45_67_ois/

Compare here the two lenses

the version II is best bought in a kit ( and then you sell the rest of the kit) with the X-A2 and the 16-50 II since on its own would probably cost you nearly as much as 2/3 of the whole kit.

Here in the Netherlands the kit costs €649 while the lens, stand alone, is €449 ( making camera and the other lens cost only €200 more!). the kit with the camera and 16-50 is €499, while the 16-50 II standalone costs again €449.

So it should be easy to sell camera and lens 16-50 II for €400.

If you don’t want to go through the fuss of buying and re-selling, version one is available for €199 or €249 at some other places, less if secondhand.

• 2 months later...

I can update that I bought the 50-230 (for €169, a no-brainer), and I am very happy with it.

Yes, it is slow (but then, the Canon 55-250 kit zoom was hardly faster), but it definitely is sharp enough wide open for my purposes.

Despite the plastic build, it feels solid ... I just hope that it proves to be that way (the long term build quality is my only concern).

I've used it for two weeks now, and it's good enough for daytime use. AF is fast enough for me, and is very precise.

I haven't tried the "zoo test" yet though. Most of my pictures so far where the birds visiting our garden ;)

I was photoing a gig (mostly with the 35/1.4) but decided to play and attached the XC50-230.

The conditions were pretty much as opposite you can get to daylight.

The results were not bad at all, granted I cranked ISO all the way to 6400.

I'll upload and link at some point soon.

settings used with the XC 55-230, camera X-T10, @230mm, F/6.7, 1/125 sec, ISO 6400

• 4 months later...

XC50-230, some extreme test shots

1. Fast-moving object.

2. Bird under harsh summer sun, non-static also. 230mm  and crop 100%.

3. Indoor, at night, quick kitchen setup. Light source - only one candle!

Sorry, don't have XF55-200.

Thanks for this comparison. It really was well done and helps.

Tony

I have seen MTF graphs comparing both.  Yes, the XF is sharper but if you look at the vertical scale, you may see that the difference is not really as great as it looks - it depends on thpow the graph is presented.  Sharpness often depends more on technique than on the difference between lenses.  What I can tell you is that subjectively the photos made with  my X-E2 + 50-230 are in the same league as some I have taken in the past with a Nikon D7100 + 55-200.  I suggest  lower weight and lower price are the pluses for the XC while lack of aperture ring is the biggest minus.

The XF is most likely more durable which could be an issue if you tend to bang up equipment.  On the other hand if you by a used XC, it costs so little that damaging it wont be the end of your financial world.

The aperture ring could be an issue if you have other Fuji lenses that also have one -  I find that switching between aperture ring and no-aperture ring an annoyance.  If you are transitioning from Nikon or Canon, setting aperture with a wheel on the body will feel normal.