Are you using a UV filter with an adapter? If so, putting this on backward will restrict the lens from breathing in and out thus it was unable to focus freely, causing this error. message. This happened to me and I had to keep powering off/on the camera until I figured it out. Good Luck!

Edited by SpaghettiPaparazzi
typo

I hope someone has more ideas.  First thing I would do would be remove battery, then re-install.  But I imagine you already tried that.  There may be a more powerful reset but I have never heard of one.

Focus Error! is quite common with my X100F!! Normally it’s fixed with a turn off/on. But not this time. Also battery removal did nothing. So it’s off to Fuji, where it can meet its friend (my XPro2) which is also sick. I’m anticipating an eye-widening repair bill ...

On 12/29/2018 at 2:31 PM, SpaghettiPaparazzi said:

Are you using a UV filter with an adapter? If so, putting this on backward will restrict the lens from breathing in and out thus it was unable to focus freely, causing this error. message. This happened to me and I had to keep powering off/on the camera until I figured it out. Good Luck!

Marry me! Yes, I do use a UV filter. Plus I have an adapter attached to it to use a hood. Just taken all of them off. And ... we are go again. Screwed UV on in reverse. Still OK. Added adapter & hood. Still OK.

HUGE THANKS (especially as I have $100 repair bill for an XPro2 and I also live in Thailand, where communications with Fuji Thailand in Bangkok are ‘problematic’ and drink-inducing.)

Thanks for kicking off 2019 on a high note. 

On 12/28/2018 at 10:31 PM, SpaghettiPaparazzi said:

This is the #1 cause of lens error ever since the original x100 came out. I'm glad everything worked out.

7 hours ago, plaidshirts said:

This is the #1 cause of lens error ever since the original x100 came out. I'm glad everything worked out.

Pity Fuji hasn’t issued an advisory note about this (as far as I’m aware). 

What about the adapter ring I use to attach my JJC lens hood? Does this affect lens movement too? Presumably the official Fuji lens hood also requires an adapter ring. If so Fuji are (knowingly?) contributing to the problem.

i used to have a u/v filter + hood adapter ring’sttached. I had further Focus Error! problems so I’ve removed the filter. Let’s see what happens now.

As mentioned before, it’s a pity Fuji haven’t put out an advisory note on this. I did ask for clarification on several Fuji Twitter sites. Still waiting.

The solution is using a threaded spacing ring that just puts a space between a too thick filter mount or lens hood. I have been successfully doing this with an extra thin B&W filter on a 60mm macro which displayed a focus error when used on infinite (or thereabouts).

This is an example of a spacing ring which has the same thread back/front and thin mount in between (you need to find the right thickness)

Edited by milandro

I currently have only an adapter ring on to which the lens hood screws (JJC kit). (Previously I had a u/v filter + adapter ring.)

Are you suggesting I get a thin adapter ring to fit between lens & lens-hood adapter?

yes, a spacer,  not an adapter, there are special spacers, this serves the purpose to allow focusing without impeding the movement of the lens (which is causing the error) of course the spacer has to be thin.

I had this problem when I used my 60mm with a different lens hood than the gigantic original one. I used UV filter by B&W which was thin enough not to jam the focusing movement when focusing at infinity or longer distances.

Just one more query: if I use a thin spacer, can I return to using a u/v filter? So I would have: spacer + u/v + adapter ring for hood.

Thanks for your helpful replies. 

By any chance, do u also own an XT20? 

On 3/31/2019 at 5:44 AM, Waldo Pepper said:

What about the adapter ring I use to attach my JJC lens hood? Does this affect lens movement too? Presumably the official Fuji lens hood also requires an adapter ring. If so Fuji are (knowingly?) contributing to the problem.

i used to have a u/v filter + hood adapter ring’sttached. I had further Focus Error! problems so I’ve removed the filter. Let’s see what happens now.

As mentioned before, it’s a pity Fuji haven’t put out an advisory note on this. I did ask for clarification on several Fuji Twitter sites. Still waiting.

I have an adapter, UV filter, and hood combo on my X100F and have never had the error come up. I've used the trio on my X100S and X100T also with no problems. The key is to use filters that are thin enough not to block the path of the lens movement. FYI, I've always used B+W filters on my X100's.

I would suggest you purchase the least expensive 49mm filter available, remove the cheap ‘glass’ and use that in reversed form to mount the quality filter to your camera. Or do as I did, and purchase a complete adapter ring/lens hood from Amazon.