tripod screw disappeared ???

drsnake

Hi guys,

This evening I was attaching my tripod plate and could make it ... and when I had a look on the tripod screw ... this is what I saw :

23554262700_d1e2cc04b3.jpg

I take care of my gears and this is the first time I see this kind of issue !!!! I have not see any of the screw in my bag, by the way. So I have no clue how this could happened.

Any of you encountered this problem ??

I will contact Fuji Switzerland next week to know what to do.

Cheers

David

The the plate with the tripod screw socket, which is normally held in place by 4 retainer screws, has moved from its position ( it can be seen in the picture, I think). You probably can hear something rattling inside if you shake your camera.

They at Fuji will be able to fix this but it will cost you, obviously you did this, somehow, yourself. It couldn’t have happened on its own.

Hi use classical tripod mount (ARCA) and this never happened on any of my previous cameras. I could not imagine how any mount / unmount action could achieve a removal of 4 screws ..

I also use peak design screw time to time: https://www.peakdesign.com/all/pro-drive-screw

But I'm really disappointed. I've sent an email to Fujifilm Switzerland. I keep you in touch when I get an answer.

well, the at least 3 of the 4 screws (one looks like it is still there) are no longer there to hold the plate that appears to have been has rotating or has shifted sideways, or so it appears to me from the picture.

This cannot have happened without something which has physically removed the screws.

Besides, the remaining screw appearing in your picture appears to be bronze or brass color, while the original screws are black.

Something has screwed 3 or 4 screws off. Alternatively the peak design screw has pushed the plate from the bottom plate and dislodged it ripping the 4 screws off. Either way, short of taking the blame for something that happened outside of their responsibility, this could have not happened because of Fuji not placing the screws there. Something or somebody has removed the screws or ripped them off their position.

I am afraid that this might be all be caused but that peak design thing. I would be most surprised if they would take responsibility for something like this.

None of the screw are there. It is very strange because i haven't remove any of them ... of course. I no explanation and it is very frustrating. <_<

By any chance do you know the score model ? I could simply add new ones if I knew the exact model. I was even thinking to remove 2 acre from my X-M1 to replace the vanished screws  :ph34r:

I don’t know what type of screw this is or their exact size ( by the way, mine are covered  by the grip that I use) but they don’t appear to be particularly rare or strange screws.

I have a couple of boxes of small mechanical odds and ends salvaged from other defunct mechanical appliances for when this kind of thing happens. I am sure that you have something similar in one of your drawers.

What from the situation looks like on the picture, it might be possible for you to try to pull back the plate and bring it back into alinement then I would try several small screws ( In Switzerland, the land of watchmaking small screws like these should be pretty common and I am sure that you know someone who works in fine mechanics somewhere) and I don’t think that they would use anything that isn’t metric.

Good Luck.

I took off the camera from the grip to check the screws.

One of them had probably lost a bit of the black paint covering the head because of the screw of the grip but none were lose or damaged or missing.

I checked the tension they were all as tight as need or could be.

Hi use classical tripod mount (ARCA) and this never happened on any of my previous cameras. I could not imagine how any mount / unmount action could achieve a removal of 4 screws ..

I also use peak design screw time to time: https://www.peakdesign.com/all/pro-drive-screw

Okay, I'm not surprised then. 

If you often add and remove plates or the Peak Design ring, you will have put regular tension on the for little screws, basically wiggling them loose over time while not recognizing that they fell out, probably one by one over time.

I'm not saying it's your fault, it's just a combination of things happening. These little screws should have some kind of Loctite on them, but that would make it harder to take the body apart.

If you use a tripod or one of these slings more often, I can only recommend getting a full ArcaSwiss base plate that stays attached all of the time.

It is. I can only think that other manufacturers do use some Loctite or have stronger base plates / longer screws, some other way of affixing them more permanently. Don't know. I leave my Really Right Stuff Plate on all the time. The other cams I have have either permanent base plate / grips attached or aren't used on tripods. 

I also always check that all the screws are still there when take off the base plate (rarely). 

since drsnake has replaced the screws he can answer this.

Hol long is the thread of the screws?

If the thread is very short and all it takes is a couple of turns to tighten the screw  to the end then this might be too little if you shake and rattle the camera a lot.

The fact that the screws under my camera are firmly in place might be due to carrying the camera in a bag and always with a grip attached to the body by means of the “ tripod” screw, so my guess is that this could have been preventing any vibrations.

As for the loctite.

Loctite threadlocker, as remarked above, comes in many types and it hardens into a substance that is more or less resistant  or brittle.

Loctite purple or 222 is supposed to be the least resistant to being removed, this means that by using some force and a tool one should be able to remove the seal.

However this might void your guarantee.

I’ve used a similar product to lock my Lolumina soft shutter release.

The traditional method before loctite was introduced was to use a  tiny drop of nail varnish ( with a pin) on the thread of a screw then tighten, this would work pretty much the same as loctite does ( and be very much cheaper) but the downside is that it’s resistance to being removed is an unknown quantity unless you have experience with a particular brand.

Ok, I've done a "screw transplant" between ma X-M1 and X-T1. Both patient are fine. I will send the X-T1 body to repair center after the holidays.

23903354235_79d3c1ca8b_z.jpg

If all you need are screws try making your request via email (attach pics) and ask they provide by post.  Worked for me when dealing with Fujifilm Canada, no issue regarding warranty and I didn't have to be without the camera while waiting for a few missing screws.

If all you need are screws try making your request via email (attach pics) and ask they provide by post.  Worked for me when dealing with Fujifilm Canada, no issue regarding warranty and I didn't have to be without the camera while waiting for a few missing screws.

this is exactly my intention.  :D

The screw are very small: M1.6x 2.x I've tried to find them on the market, without success....

The screw are very small: M1.6x 2.x I've tried to find them on the market, without success....

One more option of allocating compatible screw is search for "genuine screw set" on eBay, I saw many options for different cameras (but not Fuji X yet).

Some sets have variety of sizes and good chance they may fit.

Once I repaired Tokina lens and needed very long screws for that (about 1"), impossibly to find. I ordered few screws for Nikon AF 35-70 2.8 and they did fit right : )

Ok, I've done a "screw transplant" between ma X-M1 and X-T1. Both patient are fine. I will send the X-T1 body to repair center after the holidays.

23903354235_79d3c1ca8b_z.jpg

It looks modern: it is exactly in the same way that the tripod screw is fixed at the brand new X-Pro2: :)

http://www.fujirumors.com/enjoy-first-real-life-image-of-the-fujifilm-x-pro2-and-merry-x-mas-my-fellow-x-shooters/