Printing - Does the extra 8mp make a difference?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised by how many people have answered "no" to this thread. It would be interesting to know how many of these folks actually own an X-P2 or X-T2 and a large format printer. I would suspect the answer to that would also be "no" in most cases.

The original question is better phrased as *at what print size* does 24mp start to offer improved print quality. Clearly, at some combination of print size and viewing distance a resolution of "x" megapixels will start to break up where "x" times 150% will not. The answer will vary depending on subject matter, printing substrate, preferred viewing distance, the capacity of one's own eyesight, and one's ability to properly prepare an image for printing.

Edited by Arnold Newman

I remember reading something about a better "color resolution" due to the new sensor-processor combo (esp. Velvia). I think there will be a difference, depending on printing size, but maybe not a huge one in resolving detail, more about the image rendition in a whole.

I think you should compare the two Ts at your local dealer. Same lens, same framing and so on...

I'm surprised by how many people have answered "no" to this thread. It would be interesting to know how many of these folks actually own an X-P2 or X-T2 and a large format printer. I would suspect the answer to that would also be "no" in most cases.

Well, not me ... I never print larger than 30x45cm. So the 8mp does not make a difference to me.

I remember reading something about a better "color resolution" due to the new sensor-processor combo (esp. Velvia). I think there will be a difference, depending on printing size, but maybe not a huge one in resolving detail, more about the image rendition in a whole.

I think you should compare the two Ts at your local dealer. Same lens, same framing and so on...

I asked Fuji x ambassador about the printing difference and interestingly he said that it was colour and rendition as a whole was different but no huge resolving difference unless you print huge and pixel peep.

Resolution-wise, there's not a great deal of difference. But that's not the only difference between the two sensors / processors.

The usable DR of the 24 MP sensor (in actual shooting - I don't know that the tests say) is significantly better in terms of pulling detail out of shadow areas. Frankly, I was surprised by this.

Rand

on prints or on screen?

In prints! I'm one of those people who believes a photograph isn't a photograph unless it is printed. Otherwise it is a graphic representation of 1's and 0's. :-)

I do fine art printing for clients, and my own work. I print files from many different brands and models of cameras. The 24mp Fuji sensor has really impressed me more than I thought it would in comparing it with some of the heavy-hitter sensors out there today. I won't even mention some of the files I think it is "better than" because you either wouldn't believe me, and/or write me off as a Fuji fan-boy, which I'm very much "not so much." :-)

Rand

24 MP is a 22.5% increase in linear dimensions over 16 MP.  This gives you the freedom of cropping in about 1/4 with no penalty.  But it also means that the print that has the same resolution is only 22.5% taller or wider.  It isn't a huge difference.  That doesn't mean I don't still want an X-T2.  ;)