Which camera to buy?!?!?!?

joep

So I'm wanting to get a new camera but I'm stuck between a few... The xt30 ii, the xs10 and xt3 are all contenders within my list and I'm just wanting some advice for which one would he the best option to pick up. I want to mainly focus on photography but wouldn't mind the occasional cinematography, help would be greatly appreciated and if you have any other recommendations please do shoot them my way.

Thanks, 

Joe

Do you have a local camera store where you could handle the cameras and see which you prefer? The X-S10 has more of a conventional DSLR form factor with PASM dials whereas the X-T30 and X-T3 have separate dials for different functions.

My preference is for the X-S10 as I like the handling - especially the larger grip - its also probably the best of the three for video.

The X-T3 is the more robust of the three - two card slots - weather sealing - support for faster UHS-II cards etc etc.

If you can stretch to the X-S20 you also get subject detection autofocus which is handy - especially for wildlife.

I'm not sure you can go wrong with any one of them and everyone has their own favourite.

The only real concern with the X-T3 is how much “used” it is, unless you have managed to locate a new one (these are in short supply these days).

You have @Greybeard speaking up for the X-S line, so I will speak up for the X-T line. 😇

They are fun! You have all those easy to use dials (no need to mess around with that SPAM dial and menus stuff).

The best camera is the one you take with you and use.

If you can, try these in your local shop or rent them for a few days and see which one suits you. Processing software for stills and video is easy to find, so test the hardware.

Edited by jerryy

Get them all or similar iteration in hand first. Ergonomics will rule one or more out. Price is similar for all three, less than $100 USD between them yet the xt30ii will be new with a full warranty so that's a big deal. The X-T varieties will have the top photo (not video) experience and in saying this I rec you saving for an X-T5. It's phenomenal. That being said I am biased towards the X-T3 from your list. It's so much more camera than the others imho. The XS10 will not have the classic Fuji exp with the PSAM dial so there's that.  Try mpb.com and look for Like New models, they grade them better than most used sites I have found. 

I have the X-T30 ii and the X-T4. I prefer the X-T4 because it puts the ISO speed on its own top dial, because it's bigger and easier to handle with clumsy hands, and because it adds in body image stabilization (IBIS). But otherwise these are not very different, IMHO.

I always want to set ISO, shutter, and aperture manually. The X-T4 makes that work extremely well, as if it's designed just for photographers like me, though it's also easy to put any combination of those into automatic modes. Just looking at the top of the camera tells me how everything is set, and that's where I change it. The X-T30 ii almost does that, except I have to use the rear dial to change ISO and look in the EVF or LCD to see it. Well, it's easier than loading a different film, which is what I used to have to do -- but still I really like the ISO dial on top of my X-T4!

I've never used an X-S10, but I just skimmed a review of it. I don't think it accomplishes ANY of that, so it'd be a nonstarter for me. Are you a manual photographer or an automatic photographer? When I look at your options, that branching of the decision tree is the first thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used X-T3 for almost 3 years (still own X-T20, though), sold it, switched to X-H2, and breathed a sigh of relief. It's much better from ergonomics perspective - I basically have 7 cameras in one, and switch between them in a second. I don't need controls/extra wheels, which I never use, like exposure compensation (never understood why it exists on digital cameras), shutter dial (I always use T + wheel for more granular control), metering dial (always used one mode). I love overall minimalistic design of X-H2, its top display, grip is also better.

I currently own an XT3 and have been very pleased with it and the selection of excellent lenses that I have. I now though would like a higher resolution Camera primarily for my Landscape work. The XT5  or the XH2 have the higher Pixel count, So improved image quality but I am concerned with 40 Megapixels being crammed onto a Cropped Sensor, this will surely decrease low light performance and add Noise. I find it frustrating that Fuji just won’t develop a Full Frame Sensor? The only other option being to go Medium Format which although they are great Camera’s they are still of a somewhat Niche and limited use.  I am now also looking at other brand Full Frame Camera options like Sony, this is a shame because there are numerous features that I like with Fuji.