Buy X-T1 now or wait for the X-T2 next summer?

Argus42

I have become interested in the X-T1. I have read all about it, studied all available tests and specs
and decided that this is what I want to have. But the other day I discovered rumors of the X-T2 to
come in June or July 2016. If this is true, should I then buy the X-T1 now and some lenses, or
wait until the new X-T2 arrives here in Sweden (maybe later in the autumn)?
If bying X-T1 now, I may loose some Money upgrading to X-T2. The new model will probably be
more expensive, or what do you think?

Some pieces of god advice much appreciated.

There will always be a newer camera somewhere at the horizon.

I would simply wait and see what happens just after the introduction of the X Pro 2 and this supposedly new camera the X-E2S.

Maybe this will bring down the prices somewhat but, why not buying the X-T10 now and then if and when you will feel the need to buy a “ better “ camera ( Do you really need the weather resistance which would fail anyway if one of the doors is warped?) later on.

You will use the same lenses and make experience, while enjoying the system.

Good luck.

I agree with milandro, there will always be something new around the corner. If you feel you can wait 6 months or longer (delays happen), go ahead and wait. Personally, I went for it last month when the right deal popped up here on Fuji Rumors. I didn't see anything life altering to me in the rumored specs anyway. Life is too short.  

Like both posters above, I will give you the same advice.

If you have something else now that alleviate the waiting time, sure go ahead and wait for the X-T2.

On the other hand, if you want something to start your photography, both the X-T1 and X-T10 are very nice starting points.

From personal usage, the X-T2 would need to truly do something amazing that would make me want to buy it to replace the X-T1, for once, I am holding a camera that I feel confident in keep for several years and not just until the next updated version.

Plus depending on where you live, there might still be some Fuji refund on-going until mid-Jan or end of it. It's always nice to be able to buy new gear at directly reduced prices.

The new model shall most certainly be more expensive, that's what we already know when compairing XPRO2 vs. XPRO1. Another thing to consider is: how large do you want to print? Will 16Mpix be sufficient for this, independant of availability of an 24Mpix X-T2?

Sono felice possessore di una X-T1 da più di un anno e non la cambierei con nessuna altra macchina, a meno che ............

Se Fuji, in una prossima X-T2,3,4,5 ecc. aggiungerà un buon smorzatore di vibrazioni in camera allora quella sarà la mia nuova compagna di viaggio. Altro non serve. Quindi puoi non aspettare e goderti la vita "fotografica" adesso.

Hello @Vitobrus welcome and thanks, it is all fine and dandy, however most people here won’t understand a word. Despite Italian being my first and native language and understanding all you wrote, you better use English on this forum. 

Here we use English as a language, elsewhere they use Italian.

http://www.fujiclubitalia.com/website/ipforum/

Lightroom already renders the X- files quite well, all the discussions on forums are blown way out proportion. Sime (Mac) cinverzers plus PhotoNinja render the Fuji Files with better sharpness, but (in the case of PhotoNinja) questionable colors. LR is - along with C1 - the best overall packet IMO.

Staring at sharpness and finest details 100% is a questionable approach to photography anyway.

I bought the X-T1 just middle of last year and when I decided to get this body (and the system), I didn't really mind it's not the latest model (X-T10 is) which I know a replacement will come soon. 1 of the main considerations that makes me think this way is that the company keep upgrading the firmware and every time when it does, I see people saying it's like a brand new camera altogether. Personally I don't really feel so, but I do think that they are flaws taken care of and you can visually see improvements, unlike other camera makers.

I'm not sure when X-T2 come out will Fuji stop the firmware support for X-T1. Chances are slim for them to do that. And in the case that they are upgraded to better features in par with the successor (less the hardware upgrades), I think both the usability and resale value of the body is still pretty high.

If the X-T1 can meet your expectation, I believe you should be more worried about items in the rest of the system such as lenses, flashes, accessories etc. That half a year of usage and experience will make you understand the system better. Who knows you may end up ditch the system completely and by then, it doesn't even matter whether is there a X-T2 or X-T3 coming soon.

• 1 month later...