XT4 Film great, stills washed out and blurred

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Totally new to photography. Got an XT4 as entry point wanting to learn.

As a starting point I've just used everything on auto. Set stills to highest quality (but not using RAW).

When I take film, it's awesome great quality, just what I'd expect. If I take a still of the same scene the results are totally different. Colours way less vivid, almost washed out and cropping loses quality quickly, like it's way lower res. 

I've scoured the internet for what I'm doing wrong - but I'm out of my depth very quickly. I was just expecting 'decent' images with everything auto. Most tutorials I've watched don't really explore everything auto.

Using a Fujion XF 18-55mm Lens.

Any guidance on where to start?

Many thanks!

PC

Edited by Danstall
Typo
  • Danstall changed the title to XT4 Film great, stills washed out and blurred

Could you either provide a link to an original image (straight out of camera with metadata intact) or take a photo of the top of the camera and rear screen with camera turned on. We might get some ideas from your settings.

You could try going into the setup menu and run a reset in case you have accidentally changed some setting.

Couple of most likely settings.

Re. sharpness/blurriness: set the AF mode to AF-S (front of camera) and in the AF menu the AF mode to single point. Now take a photo with one object in the center covered by the green focus box. That object should be tack sharp in the photo unless your shutter speed is really low (below 1/30th). In the IQ menu set the image size to L 3:2 and the image quality to F or F+RAW.

Re. washed-out colors: press the Q button - set the film simulation to STD (Provia) and make sure that color is set to 0. S-Tone and H-Tone should be no more than -1 or +1 and switch Grain off. Make sure that you set White Balance to Auto, the aperture and shutter speed ring to A and switch on Auto ISO.

With these settings you should at least get 'normal' images. You have to check these on your computer. The LCD on the camera is not very accurate. If you did check the images on the LCD make sure that in the Set Up menu under Screen Set Up, the LCD brightness and color are set to 0.

14 hours ago, Herco said:

Couple of most likely settings.

Re. sharpness/blurriness: set the AF mode to AF-S (front of camera) and in the AF menu the AF mode to single point. Now take a photo with one object in the center covered by the green focus box. That object should be tack sharp in the photo unless your shutter speed is really low (below 1/30th). In the IQ menu set the image size to L 3:2 and the image quality to F or F+RAW.

Re. washed-out colors: press the Q button - set the film simulation to STD (Provia) and make sure that color is set to 0. S-Tone and H-Tone should be no more than -1 or +1 and switch Grain off. Make sure that you set White Balance to Auto, the aperture and shutter speed ring to A and switch on Auto ISO.

With these settings you should at least get 'normal' images. You have to check these on your computer. The LCD on the camera is not very accurate. If you did check the images on the LCD make sure that in the Set Up menu under Screen Set Up, the LCD brightness and color are set to 0.

Many thanks - something worked as it is much better now.

9 hours ago, Danstall said:

Many thanks - something worked as it is much better now.

Great. I'm sure you don't plan to read the manual, but on YouTube there are some video tutorials to cover the basis settings.

Just type in "setup fujifilm xt4" in the search box.

• 2 weeks later...

You can set the colors of your stills to your liking: Chose film simulation (example: vivid), chose contrast (example: highlights +1, shadows +1), chose color (+1??).

Question-Marks because I think that's not necessary. Probably "Someone" chose filmsimulation PRO Neg. Standard for you. Or "Advanced" and some weird setting is opted on your camera.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By findjerry
      I'm been searching for a quality dummy battery for my X-T4 and this is the first one I've seen for sale by a reputable vendor. 
      Has anyone tried this?
      https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1600608-REG/gyrovu_gv_dtap_w235_d_tap_to_fujifilm_np_w235.html
    • By hirsebrei19
      Heyho everybody, 
      Since lately I'm a quite impressed and happy owner of the Fujifilm X-T4. Especially the option to power the camera via USB-C and powerbank is awesome for long timelapse shoots. But the playback speed when reviewing the timelapse is annoyingly slow. When I use the front dial I'm able to scroll way faster then by pressing and holding the joystick but, as my finger is limited in size, I have to reposition it and the playback interrupts, ergo no smooth playback. So is there any way to scroll faster through a lot of images? Any menu listing or workaround? For a camera capable of shooting 15fps continuous, it seems like a basic feature to have or am I missing something?
      Thanks in advance & sorry for my bad English
    • By tc46wine
      Date: 2021 June 30 — I have two X-T4s — one about 14 months old, the second about 5 months old (with 70-300 — fantastic lens).  Yesterday I updated the firmware to 1.21.  Last evening, I took one of my X-T4s to a baseball game and for the VERY FIRST TIME EVER I experienced frequent lockdowns or freezes.  After taking a photo, the LCD would go black, the orange data transfer light would come on and stay on.  Switching the camera on and off made no difference.  The only solution was to remove and reinstall the battery.  The camera would then work properly for a few more frames and then repeat the lockdown process again.  That probably happened 6 or 8 times last night in an hour.  This morning I repeated that scenario about 5 times.  It has been suggested that the problem is related to SD cards; I had the same problem with different Lexar cards that have never failed. So it doesn't seem to be related to SD cards. Unfortunately, the defect appears intermittent; i.e., I cannot recreate the failure upon command.  I have noted on Fuji-Form that a lot of people have reported similar behavior for X-T4s, but not X-T3s.  Have you seen this problem in your X-T4?  Do you know if the problem is unique to specific cameras or to specific versions of firmware?  Do you know if Fuji is aware of the issue?  Do you know if they are working on the problem?   In a word, this is now a major pain in the butt. 
      Tom Carroll
      Davidson, North Carolina
    • By teplosvet
      Greetings, 
      Starting with a Nikon D750 + Sigma 50mm f/1.4 i recently moved to Fujifilm X-T4 + Fujinon 23mm f/2.
      I started photography to cope with my bipolar disorder and big depression which i had my whole life. In the beginning i photographed all my friends, tried to find myself in portrait niche, but quickly understood that i just cant take pictures as they want me to. And i do not use photoshop or lightroom, i am not a fan of retouch. I mastered Capture One at some point, but now i do not see any use of it, as Fuji cameras already have everything needed inside of them. After all, i do not position myself as a photographer or retoucher, its just a hobby, and i try to catch things as my damaged head sees them. For example, here is a portrait of my mother, which was just a test shot:

Things now changed as i am currently working as an activity manager at a center where people with special needs live. People who live here are the most kind, honest and charismatic people i have ever met. I decided that i will try to spread their joy with the help of my hobby, and my employer was instantly hyped with the idea (god bless this woman). Here are some of the first pictures taken, thanks to Alexander who was happy to model:

If you are Interested in things i share, you can check my instagram at @dom.teplosvet 
      So, i guess that will be all for now from me.
      Stay kind and spread joy, fellow photographers!
    • By teplosvet
      Greetings everybody, 
      I searched multiple forums on the following topic, but did not get any close to solving the question explained below.
      So, what i am trying to understand is this: why Q menu changes saved Custom Settings permanently?
      i have my custom C1 settings set to be for example "noir 50's" style, i love it, it works for me, but time to time i want to tweak highlights/shadows for a step, but do not want to change C1 settings permanently. So, i shoot on a tweaked C1 settings, change to my C2 settings and assume that C1 settings goes to saved values. But somehow tweaking settings from Q menu overwrites my saved custom settings. So, is it a bug or a feature? 
      i understand that Q menu is just a shortcut to the listed settings, hence the name Quick Menu. But i do save my C settings for a reason, do i? 
      i thought that those C1-C7 things where supposed to be like a "shortcut to the shortcut" things, and changing them from one to another pulls according settings to the saved values, but i guess i am wrong? 
    • Fujifilm has a standalone raw converter program that turns your raw images into either jpeg or tiff files. It has quite a few tools, of course you can then import the jpeg or tiff files into image editors for further processing if you want. https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/support/compatibility/software/raw-file-converter-ex-powered-by-silkypix/ https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/support/download/software/raw-file-converter-ex-powered-by-silkypix/
    • What do you thing to add your work on Wikipedia ? i stat some day ago something similar on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujifilm_X-mount#:~:text=Pro%3B 26 mm-,Third Party X mount lenses comparizon,-[48][edit]  
    • I am using a Fuji xt30. When I go into the Q menu I can alter the choices, for example to change the ISO, using the touch screen. However, when I try to do this with the rear command dial, it does not toggle between the options. How do I reset or get the rear command dial to do this? thanks  Ravenstonedale
    • Hey Folks- new Fujifilm XE-4 owner looking to upgrade my photo editing skills by using the RAW files to produce a final product rather than the jpegs.  Unfortunately my iMac Photos does not support the RAW files from the E-4.  I just learned that even the most recent version of the iMac iOS system (Big Sur) doesn't support the XE-4 RAW images.  So I'm seeking input on a photo editor that runs on an older iMac (2012 year model w/ 8 mgs of RAM, Intell Core i5 processor and plenty of hard drive storage) that does support Fujifilm XE-4 RAW images.  I am not a professional photographer, just an amateur looking to upgrade his skill and craft.  TIA for suggestions and advice. 
    • Left Olympus this week New X-T3, 16-55, 50-230xc, 50 2.0 even trade for My Olympus Gear. Previously Shot with Fuji X-T1. Exited and looking forward to shooting and editing new Images.