Complete Overview over the available and upcoming Fuji X-Mount lenses

quincy

No thank you for your amazing post, which made me discover this lens. I wanted a small, fast aperture (at least f2), cheap (sub 250eur), manual focusing (short focus throw) standard lens (30-40mm) with smooth bokeh. As MF with the Fuji lens isn’t that enjoyable. I was looking at the:

- Fujian F1.7 CCTV (I didnt like the swirly bokeh) 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lillemets/15173602311/in/photolist-p7QFjX-pt13EX-oNnt8x-pcdbqz-bXyyJG-kvYySR-bDeLe1-pLvkjh-s9gyTC-p71Yvc-nhxHWk-8HNKax-rN9fuZ-kvZ1DD-FfoZrY-dPXc6j-oQNNfm-bDeKbY-FFvsGM-mpjZxB-rN9gvM-qoq4Pm-dYqfkr-tvkuQ7-qSesWF-bXyHi1-oHc2Yp-oHcdS9-oZDWyE-qeTeCa-bXysdQ-gz7uZE-Fp89X1-m5d44v-bR3e7T-aBNHJe-ps5uux-oHbWUr-fU5gQ9-bF2QoJ-d8H6Yo-dEUhRk-bXyrm3-dwqgNu-aGcA3R-hVgELC-rFrRyQ-9Mxeg8-efYQan-bTWzMM

- Kaxinda 35mm f1.7 (didn’t appreciate the look and the visible chromatic aberration)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/s13n1/25757655603/in/photolist-Ff7HCp-GggPrA-G4wbm4-Ar7RDV-DUp929-Gkha4w-DwkLgk-DCEzZV-F5FNib-AKnUMk-E7FejR-FsiQiz-AYGrro-C33og9-FXsExs-CmSR7R-Fs89BS-GkhihW-Gc1zsb-FiSoHW-AKacdo-E3v6yh-G4Y3PP-AtqCJn-GeijEZ-CJnN1M-FeW5qu-GpqXsH-Esdh1t-GiAbw2-FtYCeb-GiAbPg-G86297-Fua9eF-AmtXtT-C33ncA-Gpr7Xz-CfqT9P-DyR2VQ-zuKZpb-BwDRCh-Geqhry-DCHpiu-G2DZSq-CWNtyj-C2ADTY-CwZnAy-GkhCim-Fj31Sk-GkheKL

- Mitakon 35mm 0.95 mk2 (expensive but loved the smallish size, bokeh, wide aperture and sharpness but for night time photography was put off by the visible chromatic and comatic aberration) 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peace-on-earth_org/26273268696/in/album-72157666320524710/

- Wesley 34(1.7) & Jackar 34mm (didn’t appreciate the look of the lenses)

Unfortunately there weren’t any pancake lenses available in the 30-40mm f2 or faster range that I know of. And focal reducers with a 50mm didn’t produce great IQ below 250eur.

Sorry side tracked. Back to your qs. The Zonlai 25mm also has 12 blades. I couldn’t find any information regarding the magnification, especially due to the focus breathing like you mentioned. The Fuji 35(1.4) is a bit wider and focuses significantly closer (28cm vs 30cm) which I can show you pictures of, but not sure how that can help you in any way :)

* Also for the Samyang 12mm I see that the lonelyspeck and the petapixel reviews are the same.

* And the recent price of the Zonlai 25mm ($125) and the 35mm ($120) incl shipping, although with the ‘Best offer’ option you could easily save off $5 on both lenses. As I got my 35mm for $105 incl.

Edited by Jonathan Hartmann

Zonlai 25mm has one big design flaw - whole inner cylinder with all glass inside has only two side pins that slide in outer cylinder helicoid thread during focus, and that pins are very long and thin.

Due to that there is often significant play of focus ring - you can turn it up to 10-15 degrees without actual focus move.

If you focus to middle distance and point camera up or down - inner cylinder will move and focus will be changed. So you can't precisely rely on marked DOF distance.

I also had chance to disassemble lens front area to clean aperture blades and front glass elements:

1. unscrew front metal ring (filter mount) by rotating it CW

2. unscrew metal part right above front glass (with lens name) by rotating it CCW

3. unscrew next inner metal ring by rotating it CCW

That is so cool that you mentioned that because I also noticed the big play on my 35mm lens, but do you think it can be fixed?

I thought it was because the hellicoid isnt as tight and therefore has all this play. So im not sure if that issue can even be fixed.

For me it is not a big deal in real world usage and it adds that extra bit of satisfaction when making a photo. (but if I can fix it then why not)

Edited by Jonathan Hartmann

The Modula Optical CM33 might have been your dream lens if it hadn't been cancelled. The prototypes were quite short and small. But then again, I think it was supposed to be very expensive.

I've added the new informations (12 blades, prices...). I thought I had linked to a comparison between several wide angle lenses on the lonelyspeck page, but I can't find that anymore, so I've just deleted the link to petapixel.

It would help me if you could set the zonlai 35 to it's closest focus distance and hold the camera in front of something with a scale on it (a ruler, or a piece of grid paper) at the distance where it is at it's sharpest.

Having said that, in the video you made a vignetting test. Was this done at the lenses' close focus distance? And what's the distance between the lines? That would be enough. (If it's 5mm between the lines, the magnification would be approximately 1:3.6)

To calculate the magnification, you compare the size of the real object with the size of the image on the sensor (which, in our case, is of course the size of the sensor itself).

So, to calculate the magnification of the lens, ideally I need the total number of squares you can get on the image on the long edge. Then, by dividing the lenght of the object in real life (e.g. 19 squares + 2/5th of a square -> 97 mm) by the lenght of the sensor (23,4 mm), you get the magnification (in this case about 1:4).

But I can back-calculate from your informations. The back lcd is about 70 mm wide, the screen should be about 1248*832, so if your Square was 3,2 cm wide, that would be about 570 pixels. The total resolution of the sensor is 4896*3264, that means you'd get 8,6 squares onto the whole image. -> 43mm -> magnification of about 1:2.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh my... one lens a week. I'll update the chart once the last one is out, but I'll put them into the list on a regular basis.

Will those be available (quote states "released") as soon as they are being announced, or is it just the announcement?

To me they look like:

Cine prime, wide-to-normal prime, tele prime

wide angle (or standard zoom?), aaaand... don't know. macro?

Oh my... one lens a week. I'll update the chart once the last one is out, but I'll put them into the list on a regular basis.

Will those be available (quote states "released") as soon as they are being announced, or is it just the announcement?

To me they look like:

Cine prime, wide-to-normal prime, tele prime

wide angle (or standard zoom?), aaaand... don't know. macro?

I wouldn't worry, I doubt they will al be Fuji X lenses ;)

thanks for your excellent lens summaries Quincy.  May I add a tad more on the zooms?  The 50-140mm zoom has the additional benefit of using both Phase and Contrast focussing with the 2x teleconvertor whereas the 100-400 is restricted to contrast focussing.  I used both the 100-400mm and the 50-140mm lenses with the 2x converter during a trial session with Fuji in low light.  The result was conclusive for me: the 50-140mm nailed the focus rapidly every time while the 100-400 hunted.  So in limited light I think the 50-140mm plus 2x converter gives the wildlife photographer more scope than the 100-400.

You're welcome!

I'll try to express the matter on teleconverters a bit clearer in the list as soon as I'm at home. From my point of view, I thought it was clear enough to state that a camera with the 100-400 and 2x TC loses phase detection, but you're right, I should mention that a camera with the 50-140 and 2x TC still can use phase detection.

About Wildlife:

The 50-140 f/2.8 becomes a 100-280 f/5.6 with the 2x TC (so 280 f/5.6 at its longest) while the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 is a 400 f/5.6 at its longest, without TC, but still with phase detection. Or you can use it as a 280 f/5.

/edit: done.

Edited by quincy

Here is a chance to get one of the rare third party lenses on sale: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00F3SWV74/ref=gb1h_img_m-2_0007_a1fa00d2?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=M741CVB466XZ9X3FWHCJ&pf_rd_i=5457338031&pf_rd_p=689310007

319 € for a few hours.

35 mm 1.4 autofocus with double the weight and reversed ergonomics: The aperture ring is on the filter side of the lens, and goes the opposite way of Fujinon lenses. I don't know which way the focus ring goes. I really hope they only made a small batch of those, because it has some fierce competition. I have the Fujinon 1.4 and absolutely no interest in this "SLR Magic" lens, but I thought it was appropriate to share it here in this niche thread anyway.

Edited by Immanuel

• 2 weeks later...

I've added the Samyang 20/1.8.

But this one does not seem to be interesting for Fuji users. We've got the 18/2, the upcoming 23/2 and Samyang's own 21 1.4 which is smaller, lighter, probably cheaper and has nine aperture blades instead of seven.

/edit: just realized that the focal length axis marks are broken, will repair that as soon as I'm at home.

/edit2: done.

Edited by quincy