Fujifilm XT-5 External Charger

agh55

Hi, I have just purchased a new XT-5, upgrade from the XT-3 and I'm keen to purchase an external charger. I think continually charging the battery via the Camea and opening the small door could prove a problem after time. Can anyone in the forum recommend an external charger, thanks? 

The new approach from SmallRig and soon-to-be-released by Viltrox of putting a USB-C connector in the battery and plugging the charge cable into the battery looks like it is catching on. It sounds like it might be holding up long term.

FujiRumors has an article about batteries, but only in-directly touches on the approach.

https://www.fujirumors.com/viltrox-np-w235-orders-available-now/

I bought a Hahnel ProCube2 for Fuji.  My local shop had one in stock.  Dual charger.  Changeable holders for AA,AAA, Li-ion.  LED displays at front showing charge level.  It comes with universal electrical plugs, and a plug-in for automotive use.

I'm happy with it.  It's not cheap, but it looks and works very well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also bought that charger ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BYB4H1C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details ) (but from a different brand: Patona).

I was already annoyed, when I opened the box of my new X-T5 and then no charger inside. Fuji sells that original charger for extra $$$, but then the power adapter is missing. Why? I am buying a camera, not a phone or a tablet or whatsoever. So please give me the charger.

Then I opted for the above one, together with 2 batteries. Same price than the Fuji charger alone without 2 "free batteries". No problems at all. And what's cool, that charger is "slow", 4 to 5 hours for a complete charge. So it does not fry the batteries.

Edited by HC-110
link

A power adapter ist supplied with the X-T5, use this for the original Fuji charger. Works great, charges fast without heating the battery.
With all my previous cameras I used 3rd party batteries, mostly patona. The newer blue patona ones claimed to be compatible with NP-W126s. 1 of 3 was not compatible. Some older ones, not the newer blue ones, ballooned. Thankfully not in camera. The original ones never ballooned. This made me use the original ones with priority, and the others only as spares when I ran out of charged original ones. Now with the NP-W235s I only use original batteries and chargers. Not that much more expensive, even more compared to camera and lens cost. The extra $$ give me at least a good feeling.

I was also always someone who bought original batteries because of safety and confidence.

But unfortunately I have cameras where original batteries simply no longer exist ( thank you Nikon). So I bought Patonas for my D700 and D2x. The experience was rather good.

That's why I also bought the Patonas (protected) for the X-T5. I was so fed up with the missing charger that I said: no Fuji, no more money. I am so disappointed.

Left the X- T5 at home today and did my train shots on HP5 today. Will spend the evening in the darkroom.