Some things are better with the X-Pro1

I just got a used X-Pro1, and there are already some areas, where I prefer it over the X-100T I just sold and my X-E2.

1) Auto-DR includes. This is huge to me. It makes for a much more fluent shooting experience. I can set the camera to aperture priority or shutter priority, and it will take care of the rest. With my X-E2, I also have to make sure to switch between auto and DR 400. And if I don't go back, I get an ISO 800 shot in a situation where ISO 200 would have been so much better. The X-Pro1 takes some of the stress away, and I like that. I really don't get why this flexibility was taken away in the newer cameras.

2) No accidental shutter speed adjustments. The three cameras behave very differently when it comes to shutter speed adjustments. The X-Pro1 is the most stable. I do not press the arrow buttons by accident. So if I am in a situation where a fixed shutter speed is important, the X-Pro1 is the best choice. If I want to adjust the shutter speed, the X-E2 in the T-setting is usually the better choice. The X-100T lacks the flexibility of the X-E2 and the stability of the X-Pro1. It was not that uncommon for me to change shutter speed by accident on the X-100T ... and sometimes on the X-E2 too.

3) In my opinion, the X-Pro1 EVF is better in good light than the EVFs on the other two cameras. It has a lower resolution, but size just matters, and IMO the EVFs are too small on the X-100T and the X-E2.

4) Only three View Modes. I prefer this. Changing view modes on the X-100T and the X-E2 is more cumbersome with the four options. Some would argue that Viewfinder Only with eye detection saves some battery. It is not worth it to me. When the camera is not in front of my eyes, the viewfinder will be on most of the time anyway due to close proximity to me. Then when I lift the camera to shoot, the viewfinder turns off and then has to turn on again when I place the camera in front of my eyes.

The other cameras also have their advantages, but the X-pro1 has some things going for it, and having tried auto-DR with DR 400 included actually makes a potential purchase of an X-Pro2 or X-T2 less attractive. These are just early impressions, but for now I find them to be relevant points when assessing the camera and doing inevitable comparisons with newer models.

The only thing where the X-Pro1 sometimes lacks for me is in the AF-speed. Those shots where suddenly something happens, and you want to capture it instantly.

Otherwise, the X-Pro1 is a very fine camera for me. I love the handling and the output, and it does everything I want it to do.

I don't own an X-Pro1 but there is something really nice about the .jpg look of that camera that seems missing in the latest cameras such as the X-T1/2 and XT-10. I can't quite put my finger on it....

I just found this that puts it better than I can: https://adambonn.com/my-love-affair-with-the-fujifilm-x-pro1/xp1-five/

Edited by davek

The only thing where the X-Pro1 sometimes lacks for me is in the AF-speed. Those shots where suddenly something happens, and you want to capture it instantly.

Otherwise, the X-Pro1 is a very fine camera for me. I love the handling and the output, and it does everything I want it to do.

X-Pro1 has AF? :D

The xp1 does several things better than the xp2

OVF and menu: on the xp1 if you're in OVF mode and you press menu, the menu arrives on the LCD

PDOF, preview depth of feild mode allows to take a shot with the blades stopped down from the OVF, the xp2 doesn't

The xp1 SS dial feels nicer and more clunky to turn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does x-pro 1 have a bigger EVF than x100T? I didn't know that. I sold my x100T and got a used x-pro 1, but didn't notice. Only noticed lower resolution. 

I am so happy with my switch from x100T to x-pro 1. I miss the face detecting though. But the battery life is SO  much better on x-pro 1.

• 2 weeks later...