AKXt2

[Help] Shooting RAW & film simulation with X-T2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Everyone, 

I just picked up an XT2 and this is my first Fuji camera, really excited about using it. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and reading forum post to familiarize myself with the camera and its settings. I am very impressed by the film simulations but really confused on how to use them in conjunction with RAW files. I was under the impression that if I shoot RAW+JPEG(Fine/Norma) with a film simulation selected (e.g. Chrome). Simulation is applied to JPEG only and RAW file is pure raw without any processing that I can edit however I want in post processing. But I took the camera out for the first time and realized the film simulation is applied to both JPEG and RAW. Is there a way to shoot with film simulation applied to JPEG but get unprocessed RAW files from XT2? 

Thanks for everyone's help in advance! 

The raw file has (at least) three components:

- the raw data (which doesn't have any film simulation applied),

- metadata which gives all sorts of information about the image including the film simulation in use when the image was taken

- a preview image jpg that image viewers typically use when you look at the raw image (this has the film simulation applied).

The raw file can be processed by a raw converter - Fuji and Adobe (amongst others) have raw converters that can apply any film simulation to the raw data - not just the simulation you used when shooting the image.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Filand
      Hello,
      I have a quick question regarding the XT-2.  I jumped from a Canon 40D to the XT-2 some time ago.  I love the camera and the feel and output are fantastic for me.  With that said, I have noticed that I have a harder time (on the Fuji) transferring what I see in my viewfinder to my computer screen.  In other words there seems to be a disconnect between what I see in the computer and what I remember being in the viewfinder.  I don't think it is a color or exposure issue, maybe a framing?  Not quite sure.  Do I simply need more experience with the camera?  I'm using a 18-55 for both cameras.  Thank you.
    • By Jack H
      The lens makes a rattling sound when shaken gently, sounds like a loose element. No image stabilisation so no idea what it could be. Is this normal? 
    • By Thubten
      I have used cameras for a long time, none of them weather sealed, without any damage from water or dust.In fact I don't recall it even being an issue.But now I am deciding between an xt2 and xt20 ,mainly on this basis and the $700 price difference.I will never be out in the rain with this gear, but it will be exposed to ordinary dust, and perhaps high tropical humidity.I am leaning towards the xt20.This has perhaps been covered before, but I can't find a search function.
    • By Danny Bates
      Is anyone else having this problem?
      My XT2 works beautifully with my Godox flashes (two AD200s and one AD600) when my shutter speed is 500 or higher. But if I drop the shutter speed below 500, the flashes stop firing.
      I'm using the Godox XPro-F transmitter.
      So what I'm really wanting is "Low Speed Sync" so I can use my Godox flashes at speeds like 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, etc.
      Why I do not suspect the transmitter or flashes
      I can press the test button on the transmitter and the flashes fire I can put the same transmitter on my X100s and shoot at any shutter speed and the flashes fire successfully This makes the XT2 my prime suspect.
      Under the flash function setting menu, I do have Sync Mode set to AUTO FP(HSS) but I've tried the other settings with no success either (and didn't expect those to help anyway).
      I am in single shot mode and not using bracketing or multi-exposure features.
      And it doesn't matter if I manually turn off HSS via the menus on the flash units.
      Do you have any suggestions I can try next?
      Can you see if you are able to shoot and sync at 1/60 using your XT2 and Godox transmitter and flashes?
      Any help or suggestions will be thoroughly appreciated!
    • I do not think you can do that directly from the menus. This may help you: (See Tony Chen's response.) https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66684  
    • That probably is a safety feature, USB-C delivers 15 watts of power = 5 volts at 3 Amps. USB-C with PD Gives 100 watts = 20 volts at 5 amps. If something goes wrong, either one of these is more than enough to send you ‘pining for the fjords’. https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/JackHsu.shtml  
    • X-T2, 16-80mm Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
    • This is very common and has been normal for many camera brands and models over the years. They always loosen up over time, now, for 3rd party glass that is another matter.
    • So if you shoot in high speed shooting, either 100p to 50p or 100p to 25p, and use a 1/100th shutter speed, the screen is almost black, like the shutter speed is 1/4000th.  Crank up one step to 1/120th shutter speed and the image is exposed, and each step up slighty darkens 1/3rd of a stop like it should.  120p high speed is fine, but the 100p and 1/100th shutter speed doesn't work.