AKXt2

[Help] Shooting RAW & film simulation with X-T2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Everyone, 

I just picked up an XT2 and this is my first Fuji camera, really excited about using it. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and reading forum post to familiarize myself with the camera and its settings. I am very impressed by the film simulations but really confused on how to use them in conjunction with RAW files. I was under the impression that if I shoot RAW+JPEG(Fine/Norma) with a film simulation selected (e.g. Chrome). Simulation is applied to JPEG only and RAW file is pure raw without any processing that I can edit however I want in post processing. But I took the camera out for the first time and realized the film simulation is applied to both JPEG and RAW. Is there a way to shoot with film simulation applied to JPEG but get unprocessed RAW files from XT2? 

Thanks for everyone's help in advance! 

The raw file has (at least) three components:

- the raw data (which doesn't have any film simulation applied),

- metadata which gives all sorts of information about the image including the film simulation in use when the image was taken

- a preview image jpg that image viewers typically use when you look at the raw image (this has the film simulation applied).

The raw file can be processed by a raw converter - Fuji and Adobe (amongst others) have raw converters that can apply any film simulation to the raw data - not just the simulation you used when shooting the image.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kingsam
      So i have a friend in Hollywood FL thats about to return home on monday morning. This is my last chance to purchase an XT3 and join Fuji but it's out of stock everywhere. Does anyone know any local stores he could walk in and purchase? Shipping is obviously out of the question.
    • By i4jab
      Is there any way I can fix this (PFA). Peak design clip damaged and can't use any tripod anymore. 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
    • By Higgins
      Hi, I am sorry if I am posting this question in the wrong place. I'm new here. And, thank you for reading this.

Like many, I have film simulation recipes under the Custom Settings. I would like to know what Custom Settings Name (i.e. film simulation recipe name) I selected for a photo I already took. Is there a way to save a tag under EXIF metadata or any other similar method that one can check later with each photo? If relevant, I am using a XE-3.
    • By hillytimes
      My X-Pro2 isn't giving me the option to switch between Jpeg to RAW/Jpeg, within 'image quality' I'm just given 'Normal' and 'Fine'. Can anyone help?

• By lifewithlouis
      Love Child⁠⁠
      Toronto, Pride Parade 2019

• Thanks, Olaf. I hope to add to the information flow.
    • When using af, if you zoom in and use it, the camera suddenly stops working. This phrase pops up. 'Check the battery'. However, I have four batteries, but the same phenomenon occurs even if I try to use them while changing. I think it may be a problem with lens production, but have other people ever experienced this??? I live in Paraguay, so I don't have a Fujifilm AS center. I'm looking for a solution.
    • Hello folks, Did anyone else have a hard time registering their X-T4?  I am trying and it won’t accept my X-T4 model number. I can’t get past that part of the registration process. Your help is appreciated.
    • With stills, I had write errors when shooting panorama, CH, CL, long exposure etc and using a slower card. Had reported to Fuji here and as expected the issue was never heard of by them in spite of sending them links to the issues. But they were very helpful in loaning a camera, a faster card and they took my card to try on their camera. It was concluded by Fuji that the card was slow. And the truth is, I switched to a faster card and haven't seen the issue after that.  Also, I never delete
    • Well...this is embarrassing, but maybe helpful for anyone else out there who runs into this - if you change your connection settings to "USB Fixed" you will get the symptoms above. Switch it to "USB Auto" and you should be fine. Basically, while troubleshooting for Webcam usage I switched it and didn't think about the ramifications of leaving it that way. Whoops!