AKXt2

[Help] Shooting RAW & film simulation with X-T2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Everyone, 

I just picked up an XT2 and this is my first Fuji camera, really excited about using it. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and reading forum post to familiarize myself with the camera and its settings. I am very impressed by the film simulations but really confused on how to use them in conjunction with RAW files. I was under the impression that if I shoot RAW+JPEG(Fine/Norma) with a film simulation selected (e.g. Chrome). Simulation is applied to JPEG only and RAW file is pure raw without any processing that I can edit however I want in post processing. But I took the camera out for the first time and realized the film simulation is applied to both JPEG and RAW. Is there a way to shoot with film simulation applied to JPEG but get unprocessed RAW files from XT2? 

Thanks for everyone's help in advance! 

The raw file has (at least) three components:

- the raw data (which doesn't have any film simulation applied),

- metadata which gives all sorts of information about the image including the film simulation in use when the image was taken

- a preview image jpg that image viewers typically use when you look at the raw image (this has the film simulation applied).

The raw file can be processed by a raw converter - Fuji and Adobe (amongst others) have raw converters that can apply any film simulation to the raw data - not just the simulation you used when shooting the image.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By lifewithlouis
      Love Child⁠⁠
      Toronto, Pride Parade 2019

• By Roger Solbakke
      Hi,
      I have created my own 7 Custom Settings for Film Simulation with different values for Grain Effect, Color Chrome effect, WB, DR, Sharpness etc...etc. When I choose one of the 7 Film Simulations from the Q-menu all the added settings working correct. But if I choose another Film Simulation from the main menu, the values from the last used Custom Setting are following. This is irritating and didn't happen on my X100F. Anyone with experience in this matter?
    • By Bradley Stearn
      I've been trying to save 2 different colour presets onto my X100f. I've been inputting the presets for a HP5 acros look, and a kodachrome look based off classic chrome.
      I go into the Q menu, create the look on a custom setting, so for example the Hp5 look on C1. I then make the Kodachrome look on C2. The C1 Hp5 look is then deleted. What am I doing wrong? How do I save multiple colour profiles at the same time?
    • By FenFotos
      Spring 2020, in the heart of the pandemic. Walking the dog (or vice versa) along Riverside Park, masked and safely distanced. That's the George Washington Bridge in the background. Shot with Fujifilm X-T2 and Acros-R film emulation.
    • By ibraxwane
      Hi guys,
      Hope you're all well.
      My Fuji randomly stopped turning on a few weeks ago. The screen turns on but not completely (as seen on the attachments). Changing to the Viewfinder also doesn't work, shutter doesn't go off...nothing works. When I turn it off, the screen stays on; I have to remove the battery for my camera to shut down. I've interchanged between my 3 batteries multiple times, and the problem persists.
      I've looked for solutions on forums, but never found anything that fits. Tried updating the firmware through an SD card but the camera won't even turn on for the update to begin in the first place.

Any tips? I'd love to hear from you guys!
      Cheers,
      Ibra

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.