Lets go to the movies!

Mike G

Not why I bought a Fuji stills camera!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Because the new sensor/processor does such a good job with video, it is reasonable to start seeing them decked out as a video camera.  

People that want the Fuji film modes applied while they shoot video will certainly be drawn to it for video work.

Some will be drawn to it because on Canon and Nikon in their APS-C bodies, a person cannot get the same lens/focal length selection that Fuji offers.

As we know well ... Fuji platform has been a still camera platform.  But with the new X-Trans III .. that may start to change.   I'm looking forward to seeing what talented video people can do with the camera.

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

• 2 weeks later...

I've played around a little with the video.

So far, I find it to be of great quality, with lovely color and it's quite clean; not much noise.

I also did a rolling shutter test. It definitely has rolling shutter. Both in 4K and 1080p. The only camera I could compare it to is my Lumix LX100, which has a bit less rolling shutter in 4K and hardly any in 1080p.

Another thing the comparison with the LX100 showed me is the benefit of having a stabilized lens when filming hand-held. I don't currently own any stabilized lenses for the Fuji, while the LX100 has one build in. I much prefer the stabilized look. I tried filming with the Fuji with an improvised shoulder-rig and later a monopod for stabilization, but those weren't anywhere near as affective as OIS.

I also did a motion cadence test; I had the camera in 25fps with a shutter speed of 1/50, which should provide a 180 degrees shutter. I had a lot of vertical lines in my image and I tried slow, medium and fast pans. On the back of the camera everything looks great, but when I watched it back on my monitor, the result seemed a bit jittery. To be fair, so did the LX100 in 4K. What did help was filming in 50p (1080p), with a shutter speed of 1/100 (which again should provide a 180 degrees shutter). The higher frame rate helped to resolve the jitter. Most likely this is just a limitation of film in general. With a lot of vertical lines in the frame I should either pan very, very slowly. Or i should obscure, or draw attention away from the vertical lines. For example with a strong foreground subject while depth-of-field blurring the lines in the background. In film I sometimes see very fast whip pans. When doing one of those, I can't really have strong vertical lines in the frame with this camera since they would become diagonal lines because of the rolling shutter.

What I wonder; would the rolling shutter also create jello when filming hand-held. Has anyone done a lot of hand-held filming with the X-T2 yet? Either stabilized or without. Did you experience jello, or was it ok? I probably should do a few more tests...

I love that my Fuji now also does good quality video though. The lenses are just awesome; I really enjoy the look that they give, also for video.

I love that the stabilized lenses still do their stabilization while shooting video.

On my past Nikon gear, the VR did not work when shooting video.  That is a strong perk for Fuji video and hand held shooting.

I'd love a 14-40 2.8 OIS lens for video

• 1 month later...

I originally posted the screenshot from a Fuji brochure as a throw away observation, as to me it seemed ironic the the diminutive X-T2 body would be cluttered with all that stuff, I was not meaning to knock video at all, but I stand by my comment as a personal observation.

Come on people where's your sense of humour, this is meant to be a fun hobby isn't it?