First time astro photography

Russ

My first attempts with astro photography with the Fuji X-E2 and the 14mm f/2.8

Shot at Cape Egmont Lighthouse, Taranaki, New Zealand

Both shots f/2.8 ISO 4000 exposure 20 seconds

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi yes just a standard tripod for the first shot and the camera sat on the floor for the second shot.

How did you release your shutter?  Cable release?  Fuji CamRemote App?  I have not tried the app to see if I can expose for multiple seconds on Bulb yet by using the app, but really want to try this.

How did you release your shutter?  Cable release?  Fuji CamRemote App?  I have not tried the app to see if I can expose for multiple seconds on Bulb yet by using the app, but really want to try this.

I suggest a decent cable release. This one, for example, is the one I use. You don't exactly need it for exposures of up to 30 seconds, but for star trails and time lapse its great to have.

I suggest a decent cable release. This one, for example, is the one I use. You don't exactly need it for exposures of up to 30 seconds, but for star trails and time lapse its great to have.

Thank You Trenton.  I hadn't realized anything other than the RR-90 would work with the X-T1.  I do like this one better.  I wouldn't have to count out my seconds it seems with this remote..

Thank You Trenton.  I hadn't realized anything other than the RR-90 would work with the X-T1.  I do like this one better.  I wouldn't have to count out my seconds it seems with this remote..

Yes, it's a nice one (for some reason Fuji designed their cameras with Canon-compatible jack, yet keeps pushing RR-90; don't worry, anything with a thin Canon jack will work). Just order a bunch of replacement batteries right away (same site sells them real cheap) – it tends to eat them, at least one each month. Or simply store it empty.

I just used an old fasioned screw in release which fits to the shutter button (which I lost on the night)  now looking to get a intravelometer as Trenton mentioned above.