XT-1 sensor and dust

Guest Ultrasonic

Interesting @MrPolite, thank you, but confusing and worrying at the same time.

As shown in the video above, that person is reviewing the blue gel Eyelid product and using it on a X-E2.

Eyelead has an Orange gel stick too where they say:

“ for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus - do not use for Sony mirrorless cameras."

for Eyelead , the Orange gel is NOT fit for Sony and Fuji while the blue APPARENTLY ( IS THIS SO? ARE WE SURE ABOUT IT?)  MIGHT be ( Be careful !!!!)

Very confusing!

However the product that you are talking about, bearing the warning on which sensor to use it or not, doesn’t appear to be the Eyelead gel sensor cleaner but something else.

Cannot read the label or even see that there is one but it seems to be this PL photography life, own brand.

In that case they have the blue gel which, as you say, is NOT fit for Fuji But...

“........Product Advisory: Sony’s and Fuji’s proprietary coating technology on its mirrorless cameras might cause the Sensor Gel Stick to leave some residue on the surface of the sensor filter, which will require thorough wet cleaning. The residue can be removed with a wet cleaning solution, but might take significant effort to clean it. Therefore, we recommend that you do NOT use the Sensor Gel Stick on Sony and Fuji mirrorless cameras ........"

BUT!

Please note that the same site that you are quoting  (PL) with the warning on using the blue gel for mirrorless camera has another product which they say is specific for Sony and other mirrorless cameras including FUJI.

This one is an orange gel stick.

https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick-for-sony

“... One of the best solutions for keeping your Sony and Fuji digital camera sensors clean! This sensor gel stick is designed specifically for Sony SLT and Alpha mirrorless cameras, but will also work equally well on Fuji mirrorless cameras...."

By the way do most folks recommend the gel stick above, or the Photographic Solutions swabs + Eclipse solution? I understand the gel stick isn't considered a wet solution which seems 'safer' to some, but would it work as effectively? I have a lot of junk on my sensor, presumably from the sea so it may not be easy to remove

I’ve never used either one of these but I am getting ready to probably clean with one of these the sensor of a friend of mine coming back from holidays with quite some case of sensor dust.

In the instructional videos they say that the gel is good for most things but they say that the longer you leave things on your senso the more difficult it becomes to remove it and that for something that has been there for a really long time you will need a wet clean .

Good Luck, keep us updated.

I’ve never used either one of these but I am getting ready to probably clean with one of these the sensor of a friend of mine coming back from holidays with quite some case of sensor dust.

In the instructional videos they say that the gel is good for most things but they say that the longer you leave things on your senso the more difficult it becomes to remove it and that for something that has been there for a really long time you will need a wet clean .

Good Luck, keep us updated.

Mine has been there for at least a few months, so I'll opt in for the wet solution. Thanks for the info@

well, there is no harm in trying the ( right one!) with the gel first and then go for the wet cleaning if the gel is not doing what you need.

The harm is in the $$$ :D Attached is a scary shot of the sensor dust (highly modified RAW capture with a clean lens)... man, I THOUGHT I was careful with my sensor! I almost never expose the sensor for more than 1-3 seconds when switching lenses... a few times I've made the mistake of changing at the sea - perhaps that's how all this junk got there.

I just received my camera back from repairs under warranty - would have been good to ask them for a sensor cleaning, though they would have probably charged an arm & a leg.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The gel cleaner that you were talking about is only $54.99 hardly breaking the bank.

Wow, that’s intense!

It saddens me to hear that you’ve sent this camera for repairs under warranty and they didn’t think of taking care of this for you. If there was anything to be charged they could have called you, I assume they had your telephone number to get your authorization to give it a clean.

It would have taken them minutes and you would now be singing the song of praise and be forever grateful.

( in my other hobby, saxophone playing, if I bring my instrument to the tech to do a certain repair I expect him to give it a general check up and if he finds something else that I wasn’t aware of to repair it and only if this would be of a serious nature to call me and ask if I agree to pay some extra to cover unforeseen repairs)

This of dirt on the sensor is certainly one of the worst nightmares associated to digital photography.  :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Eyelead sensor cleaner today. Was a bit scared to try it at first, as the packaging gave no indication of whether it was the Sony/Fujifilm one or otherwise. Below are the before and after pics. Took most of the spots off. The most prominent of the remaining spots wouldn't come off at all (hopefully it's not a small scratch).

Before:

nP6Y2du.jpg

After:

xSDlaB3.jpg