Ultra tele lens for Fuji

ajurjans

I currently have the 100-400, and it is quite ok, except that it is a bit soft at the 400mm end.

I have been thinking about upgrading to the 150-600, unfortunately, I'd have to get rid of my 100-400 first. The 150-600 is said to be good, however the f/7.1 is a bit worrying.

Other options could be the tamron 150-500 or sigma/tamron 150-600 versions (I have the fringer adapter, so I could get one in EF mount).

There is really no way to rent these lenses over her for testing. In terms of reach the 400mm is enough

The primary intended use is going to be birds and planes, currently on an X-T4. Since the 100-400 is on the X-T5 compatibility list (while 16/1.4 isnt), my concern is that it is as sharp as it gets at those mms, and any benefit the 150-600 has in sharpness would be wiped out because of slower shutter speeds with moving objects.

I used to have an ancient Sigma 400/5.6 lens and while it was hard to get the AF to focus when and where I wanted it to, the images were nicer looking.

Has anybody tried several of these options and what are the real-world findings/impressions?

Supposedly Sigma plans to make their 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary lens availablle in X-mount soon.  According to various reviews (eg, Dustin Abbott), the Sony E-mount version of that lens is optimized for the long end and out-performs the Canon RF lens at 400mm.

I have used the XF100-400, the Sigma 150-600C (EF+Fringer) and XF150-600 on the X-T4 and boht of the 150-600 lenses far outperform the XF100-400 at 400mm.  The Sigmas was excellent, but too heavy for me to hand-hold and sometimes struggled with autofocus. The XF150-600 is superb all around and doesn't lose much to faster lenses because it is as sharp wide open as stopped down across its entire range.

• 2 months later...

I have the Fuji 100-400 also, but I also have the Fuji 2X tele-extender. I actually mostly use the zoom with the 2X on it. I highly recommend it. There's also the 1.4X, but if you can have the 2, well....

If I had known the 150-600 was coming, I probably would have done that, and wish I had it instead of the 100-400. Nothing wrong with the 100-400, but I'm using it to get the reach, and don't often use its low end anyway.