Where next for the Fuji lens roadmap?

Alan Sircom

With the launch of the 100-400 XF zoom, the current roadmap has just one lens - the 120 Macro.

That's not really a roadmap anymore. What would you like to see on the next roadmap?

As I'm enjoying the 35mm f/2 'Fujicron' more and more each time I use it, I'd love to see more of the same. 

I'd like to see a 23mm f/2 WR in a similar form factor, and maybe a revised 60mm and 18mm (both f/2 and WR, and if the 120 covers the macro market, Fuji could dispense with the 60mm macro functions, just make it small and fast-focus). That would make an outstanding quartet of lenses to go with the X-Pro2.

I also think Fuji would be good making a T/S lens and possibly a fast tele (like a 200mm f/2.8). And of course the 33mm f/1 everyone's keen to talk about.

What would be your additions to the next roadmap? Who knows, maybe Fuji is watching... 

I think a lot of people would like to see a quality set of 23mm f/2 prime that is small like the 35mm f/2. A ultra fast 50mm equivalent would also be a nice option. I used my 50mm f/1.2 frequently with Canon. I would like to see a few more specialized lenses. Maybe a tilt shift or longer telephoto primes.

Now we have the super telephoto zoom, I suspect that other than the 120mm macro, and the possible 33 F/1, we are more likely to see new reviisons of existing lens with WR, or similar lenses with WR (e.g. the 35mm F/2 WR does not replace the 35mm F/1.4).

I don't know how much demand there would be for faster telephoto lens as we have the 50-140mm F/2.8 (~70-198 F/4 with teleconverter), and it would be a large lens.

I'd honestly like to see a cheaper range of Prime lenses be it XC primes, or Just XF aka XF27mm, to give more choice for occasional lenses.

Occasional lens = Lens that you do not often use.

For myself I do not photograph a lot of landscape photography, I certainly don't plan on making money from it, so I would be hard pressed to justify dropping several hundred £ on a 16mm F/1.4, for the odd time I take a photograph of a landscape. Where potentially I would spend that much on a lens for portrait work.

If there was a XC prime 16mm F/2.8, made of plastic, no aperture ring, for £200 but still optically good it would be more considered, as it is not such a large investment, for a lens that maybe on the camera 1% of the time.(make it out of metal and call it XF for £250).

Yes I realise both the XF18 F/2, and XF27 F/2.8 are reasonable priced lenses (around £200-250) the above was an example.

The other end is probable worse atm, a Landscape photographer who only occasionally takes portrait shots, has to spend £700 on the XF53 F/1.2 or £450 on the XF60 F/2.4 or £630 on XF 90 F/2.

He may have access to an affordable zoom (XC or XF) but the Bokeh is nowhere near as nice (or as easy to achieve).

If Fuji released an XC or XF 50mm (ish) F/2 or 2.8 Optically good, but plastic and/or no aperture ring for sub £300 it is a lot more viable.

The same goes for the X-A, X-M, and to a certain extent X-T10 and X-E shooters, you have spent less than £600 on a body (and kit lenses for the X-A/M series) but you don't have many lenses to match the bodies prices. Buyers in these markets would probably appreciate more choice at the lower end of the price scale

X-Pro 2 and X-T1 photographers have spent £1000+ on the camera, and are probably professional or not on a limited income, so buying the best lenses is not such a problem. 

I have mentioned it elsewhere, but even for Sonys lack of lenses for their APS-C cameras, they do have good lenses at reasonable prices.

16 & 20mm F/2.8, 30mm 1:1 Macro F/3.5, 35mm F/1.8 OSS, 50mm F/1.8 OSS, and 55-210mm F/4.5-6.3, all available sub £400 (all but 35mm and zoom are sub £250, 3 retail for under £200)

the 35 & 50 both have stabilisation, and the 50mm at £200 if a fantastic lens.

These lenses may not be up to Fujis quality (although the 50mm and 35mm come very close) but the fact you can pick up an entry-mid level ILC and buy 5 prime lenses for around £1500 (although having used both,  I'd skip the 16mm and just get the 20mm, and wide angle converter, unless you need to go as wide as 12mm, then it's 16mm and converter).

I'd doubt if Fuji's bottom line would get hurt by releasing a cheaper range, as those wanting the best fujinon lenses will buy the best, those that don't will buy a cheaper fujinon lens where previously they may well have gone without, and/or used the manual zoom on the end of their legs to reach the required FOV.

It may also attract more entry level buyers to Fuji instead of buying into Sony E mount

my 2p worth