A good used, affordable Fuji (with hybrid OVF/EVF) for Street Photography?

verysame

Hi there,

I was waiting for the X-T2 holding my breath for something new about the video.

But from the rumors it seems is not going to be something drastically different from the current line (I guess except for the 4k).

So, instead of keep waiting for the camera which can do both, and considered that after the X-T2 I hardly believe there will be another announcement soon, I'm considering to look for a good still camera.I don't want to spend much on this purchase. I already have a Sony A6000, but I want to use Fuji.

So, any idea about an affordable camera?
I thought the X-E2 could be a good candidate, but I'd really love to use the hybrid viewfinder.

Considered I can probably get the X-E2 for about $400-$500, is there something with the OVF/EVF slightly above that price range?

The X-Pro1 is a great camera IMHO, if you can live with a slower camera, then it doesn't give away much in IQ to the newer bodies, and many prefer its rendering (that's HIGHLY subjective though)

It's not a 'run and gun' camera, that's for sure, but if you set focus traps, or zone focus you can capture moving targets...

17366957655_2f18faf432_b.jpgSwing by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Edited by adzman808

Low budget: X100
Otherwise: X100S or X-Pro1 + whichever prime lens of your choice.

Exact prices depend on condition, rarity in your area, etc.

Frankly, though, once you get used to a good EVF, you'll never touch the OVF portion again. And hell, try using just the rear screen for a week; you'll never go back to using a viewfinder at all. My journey with Fuji literally went: "this [optical] viewfinder is real nice!", "this EVF is even nicer!", "the screen is nicer again!", and finally "this tilt screen changes everything!"

Low budget: X100

Otherwise: X100S or X-Pro1 + whichever prime lens of your choice.

Exact prices depend on condition, rarity in your area, etc.

Frankly, though, once you get used to a good EVF, you'll never touch the OVF portion again. And hell, try using just the rear screen for a week; you'll never go back to using a viewfinder at all. My journey with Fuji literally went: "this [optical] viewfinder is real nice!", "this EVF is even nicer!", "the screen is nicer again!", and finally "this tilt screen changes everything!"

Depends on the person. I sold my X-T1 and went back to a Pro1 and do just fine without the tilt screen and bigger EVF.

You should be able to find a used x100s for the price you mentioned. A Pro 1 is even cheaper if you already have a lens.

Edited by darngooddesign

Thank you all for your feedback.

So, it seems the X-Pro1 it's the best candidate.

I've read great reviews about the x-100 and I should have mentioned this before, but I'm looking for an interchangeable lens camera.

@ johant: Fuji mainly because of the colors and the OVF. I like my A6000 but a few months ago started to give me problems.

@ aceflibble: I've used the tilt screen on my Sony. I liked it for a while, especially at the beginning when it's easier shooting from the hip than looking in the EVF (at least people pay less attention). But now I'm using the viewfinder 99% of the time, so hopefully the OVF will be even more fun.

It's not even a question of "best candidate"; if you want interchangeable lenses and an OVF, the X-Pro1 is your only choice in the Fuji line, without jumping up to the Pro2 for obviously a lot more money.

Got it, thank you.

I'll definitely look for the X-Pro 1 then! :)

For streets, also fit in all your criterias, X-Pro1 would be the best and only choice. Well, I recently bought a X-Pro2 and sold my X-T1 with a replacement of X-E2, to me all the essential value of th xt1 is in the X-E2, so if you can live without th OVF, go with X-E2, but he hybrid viewfinders of the pro line are sooooo irreplaceable, especially for shooting streets.