Using X-T2 to make stuff for YouTube

CDBC

A bit of background; I'm 62, been taking photographs since I was 12, spent quite a while in photographic retail in the 70's / 80's (heck, I'm a 'Certified Photographic Councilor' whatever the hell that means) but really I'm a bit of a dinosaur in this digital age.

Through all my years of using more still cameras than I can remember, my interest in shooting Super 8, VHS, Video, or whatever has been zilch, pretty much.

However, I'm the proud owner of an X-T2 w/16~55 lens and I understand from all the promo and Fuji Guys glitz etc that this is a supersonic wazoo device for making movies.

But although it may be ideal tool to tackle Avatar Part 2 or whatever, my interest is far more humble.

I am the Owner/Operator of my own Driving School, specializing in small bus operation, and I simply need to create some content that I can upload to my YouTube channel as a training aid. And I've progressed far enough that doing this from my mobile phone or dash-cam is within my skill set. I've learned to pre-edit before doing this.

But I figure that if I go shooting stuff in 4k video, apart from the massive battery drainage, the upload time (even after editing) would be several weeks, and pointlessly high quality given the medium it's meant for.

So, a two-part question.

1. How do I set up my X-T2 to produce an acceptably high quality result that it will look fine rather than fuzzy once uploaded?

2. Will the microphone in the X-T2 be able to pick up the human voice at a distance of up to 6 or 7 metres (in a quiet area where background noise isn't an issue) or will I need an external microphone?

Thanks if you know anything about this!

Firstly lets deal with Microphone, yes X-T2 internal mic will probably pick up your voice at that distance, but it will also pickup up all the background noise. I would highly recomend a Lav Mic for this application, it will save you much headaches. You could get an in-expensive wired one for your application or go wireless at not much more money.

In terms of video footage you have two options here, first you can record in 4k which gives you the option of then cropping in and reframing with less penalty to resolution. Once you have framed shots you could then output at 1080 or 720 whcih woudl be more than enough for youtube.

If you don't want the flexibility or resolution 4k offers then I would suggest just recording in 1080 as most modern computers have no problem handing editing of 1080 and you can still output to 1080 or 720. ALso in 1080 mode there is no extra crop of the sensor so your focal lengths remain as you would expect from stills. However some people have reported that because the 1080 does not crop there are some wierd behaviours. This is anecdotal and I have not shot enough in 1080 to talk on this with authority. I suspect that on balance 1080 will be best for you. You can choose what you camera shoots for video in the video options menu on the X-T2 there are several 1080 options. You will need to choose a frame rate 24 FPS = cinematic, I would not bother, 25/30 = Normall frame rates UK and US, youtubes native framerate is 30FPS and you also have 50/60FPS which framerates are good for high speed action and if you want to shoot something and then slow it down to 30 FPS for slo mo. Personally to keep things easy you should probaly go with 30FPS, however given its driving and speed may be involved 60FPS could work well, Experiement.

I would highly recomed shooting in full manual, set you ss to match FPS ie at 30FPS use a SS of 1/30th, set your aperture for your desired DOF (ideally F4-8) to ensure good DOF and then use the ISO to set exposure. I would also avoid auto focus and use zone focus'ing combined with deep depth of field for your applications. It will remove hunting af as a distraction in your videos.

Hope that helps as a very high level starter for 10

EDIt 

Just noticed the lens you are using is the 16-55mm I am going to assume this is the F2.8 version. This lens does not have OIS and if you are in a moving vehicle that could be a problem. You may want to invest in a gimbal mount or look into picking up the 10-24mm or 18-55mm which both have stabilization. I can highly recommend the 10-24mm as if you are shooting inside a car, the extra width will be most welcome and the OIS will help you with stabilization. The 18-55mm would be a more in-expensive way to access stabilization as you can pick them up very cheaply on ebay, it is also a stunning lens. Hang on I hear you say its variable Aperture by zoom and not par focal. None of the Fuji still lens are truly parfocal, and for the sort of shooting you are doing I am guessing you won't be altering zoom once you have hit record so this should not be a problem.

Edited by gordonrussell76

Wow, thank you, that's just the sort of info I was seeking.

The camera will be on a tripod, or handheld, but not in a moving vehicle (my goal is to produce a useful video about how to do a Pre-Trip Inspection on a Class 4 vehicle) so no worries about stability.

Um, what's a 'Lav Mic'? Thanks in advance.

The recommendation for a Lav mic is a good one.  1/2 of video is the audio.  You won't be happy with the onboard mic if not standing close to the camera.

I shoot video on a tripod with my XT2 at 1080p (manual focus, manual exposure) and the results are excellent.  I prefer the colour profile Astia, but the default/most common Provia is good.  The advice above is quite good and thorough.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/Lavalier-Microphones.jsp