Power Bank for Fujifilm X-S10

MarkSH

Hello

I am thinking of buying a powerbank for my Iphone and other devices, but at the same time I would like it to be useful for my Fujifilm XS10 as well. What things should I pay attention to in order not to damage the camera? I'm not too picky atm, charging speed doesn't matter much and I don't intend to take photos while charging. 

Would Anker 633 work? 
Specs: "The 10,000mAh capacity consists of two 5,000mAh batteries that are connected in series. Devices can use 20W USB-C and 18W USB-A wired charging, or 7.5W wireless charging."

Thanks

I have no experience with the Anker 633.  But I do use a Nitecore NB10000 Gen 2 power bank and I really like it.  It has similar power storage but weighs 5.3 oz. and is small and durable.  It has 4.5 the power of Fuji X-T5 batteries yet weighs less than 2 of them.  I'm a backpacker if you wonder why a few ounces matter to me.

What I wonder is whether power banks can harm or damage the camera battery. I don't know how smart these devices are, do they communicate with each other, do they determine what voltage to send to every individual device? Some say that USB socket should only supply 5v output as that is the agreed USB standard and that the camera won’t pull more power than it can use. Apparently in 2020 Fujifilm officially recommended two PD power banks on their website: Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD and Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 PD, but I don't know how many they tested, maybe it was just a sort of mutual advertising. Maybe I'm overthinking all this.

In theory, any USBC device is going to work.  You charge at the speed of the slowest device.  If you get a battery rated for 5v/3amps, that's 15W of power and should charge your phone and camera reasonably quickly.  If you want to power a laptop with a USBC charger, you will need more power and compatibility is not guaranteed.  I would still but a battery from a reputable manufacturer though rather than the cheapest Amazon version.

• 4 months later...

I know I'm pretty late to this but I find charging my batteries in a cradle is better than charging them installed in the camera. I have a cradle in my pack along with an old power bank, so I always had a pair of batteries charging while I shot. But I have another suggestion: use a dummy battery.

I do product reviews on YouTube, recording 4K vids with my X-S10, and sometimes I'll be out shooting for hours on end. Even rotating between 4 batteries (2 of which don't hold much of a charge anymore) I'll find myself dead in my tracks until my next battery is charged. I already had a dummy battery for my studio setup and thought, "wouldn't it be nice if I could take this with me." So I did a bit of research and figured it all out. Since I already had a dummy battery, I just needed a USB-C to 4x1.7mm power cable. Plugged that to my dummy battery and paired it with a solid power bank. Now I can shoot continuously without worrying.

You need to have a power bank with a minimum output of 9V=2.1A, although 9V=3A is better. I currently use a Charmast C100W which is a 20,000mAh 100W power bank. The most recent long session I've had using this setup is a nearly 3-hour long 4K shoot, and I didn't even lose a quarter of juice! Not to mention my X-S10 didn't overheat, which is something I've unfortunately experienced during long recording sessions. And another bonus if you travel, this power bank is only 74Wh making it flight approved.

Here are links to what I have. Not sure where you are, but these are links on Amazon Canada:

Gonine NP-W126 Dummy Battery - https://amzn.to/47gnasp

SinLoon USB-C 9V 4x1.7mm Power Cable - https://amzn.to/3GhR4At

Charmast 100W 20,000mAh Power Bank - https://amzn.to/40MoQrf

*Or if you want a dummy battery with a USB-C power cable check this kit from UORLEN - https://amzn.to/3Gbr8Xn

Anyhow, just thought I'd share my 2 cents. Cheers!

Edited by novum verum