23mm 1.4 sharpness question

KenC

I just purchased the Fuji 23mm 1.4, and I would appreciate any input as to whether I have a bad sample.  The question is sharpness at f/1.4 up to f/2.  I also have the 14mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4, 60mm 2.4, 56mm 1.2 and the 55-200.  They all have excellent sharpness at max aperture, but the 23 is wanting.  I attached two 100% crops.  4536 is the 23mm at 1.4 and 4051 is the 35mm at 1.4.  These were auto focus, on the dog.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I know that wider angle lens tend to be less sharp, but this seems pretty soft.  So, I would appreciate any comments from users of this lens.  If mine is normal, that's fine - it has plenty of other redeeming features.  But if it's not, I can exchange it for another one.  Thx for any help.

Hi,

I have to say this looks weird, from my experience, I used 35/1.4, then after few months purchased 23/1.4 and I was completely struck how sharp it is from 1.4, quick focusing, and overall I was very happy with the performance of the lens.

Are your pictures shot in full manual mode? The 23 one looks kind of noisy...  

Both photos were in aperture priority, auto focus and auto ISO.  The 23mm was ISO 500, and the 35mm was ISO 320.  I didn't use a tripod, but dozens of test shots showed the same sharpness difference, in low light and outdoors.  Thx for responding, I don't have any friends here who have the 23 f/1.4 to compare but I suspect this is a bad sample.