Which one do you prefer?

bonesmalones

two entirely different beasts with different performances.

If you really think that you will ever shoot a wide angle for its bokeh rendering or its “ speed” at f1.4 and than maybe the 16 is your lens.

The 14 is a more traditional lens and you can find it secondhand a lot cheaper, I personally, between the two would chose that one.

The WR of the 16 lens is pointless, on a camera that isn’t WR.

I had the 14 and sold it. It's great for landscapes but I don't do much landscape photography. The 16 is better for people, in my opinion. Specifically environmental portraits and close-up action photography in less-than-perfect light (I'm a skateboarder as well as a photographer, and the 16 is my 'skatepark lens.') It's also brilliant for pets in wet and muddy conditions with an XT1

c812b8e53a6b9b0486f3103db7619f38.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

For me, the 16 is a no-brainer over the 14... 2 stops faster is a lot, especially since I often shoot in low light and neither has OIS.

The 16 also focuses very close so it works as a macro-ish lens and I do a lot of close focus shots with it.

The 16 is also weather sealed. That matters to me as well as am often out in poor weather and dusty places.

I have the 16 and instead of the 14 I have the 10-24 which is only 1 stop slower but which has OIS so I can use it handheld in lots of situations the 14 wouldn't work.

xf14 F2.8 - streetscapes, landscapes and architectural landscapes

xf16 F1.4 - streetscapes, landscapes, architectural landscapes, people portraits and close up wide angle shots.

I went for the xf16 as I shoot some people close up in tight spots. Needed some subject isolation so the added 2 stops helped greatly. Otherwise, I'd recommend the xf14. Excellent all round and cheaper.