Sign in to follow this  
greencorner

Closing XT2 battery door with dummy battery in place

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm wanting to use my new XT2 for meteor photography - taking a series of 20sec exposures over several hours at night. To ensure I don't have to keep replacing batteries throughout the night, I have bought an external power source which powers a dummy battery, replacing the original battery.  

My question relates to closure of the battery door.  I have lifted the small plastic plug, with long nose pliers, which is attached to a rubber strip. The cable, leading from the dummy battery, fits through a round aperture in the plastic plug.  The plug can then be pushed to one side, via the rubber strip, to allow the battery door to close.

This looks to be the way it works but I can find nothing in the instructions, or on the internet, to confirm this.  Can any one confirm I have it right. I don't want to damage the camera!  Many thanks.

Tony

It sounds like you have been very ingenious in what you have done. I doubt that there would be any official way to do it. I wonder if the grip, which gives you a total of three batteries, would do the job. Expensive but not invasive.

I don't know about the X-T2, but in the X-T20 manual there's a documented "Cable channel cover for DC coupler" -- see part #36.
http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-t20/about_this_camera/parts/index.html

It's a rectangular section on the right edge of the battery cover.

I know on the X-T1, you had to have the battery grip to use the DC coupler. In reading about the X-T2 battery grip, it sounds like you'd simply use that instead of the separate power unit. From what I can tell, if you have the charging cord plugged into the grip and then turn on the X-T2, the camera is powered but the grip isn't charged.

Edited by Doug Pardee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for those comments, guys.  I did think of buying the battery grip but didn't want to add weight and expense.

I'm really surprised there is no mention by Fuji in any of its documents about this small plastic plug which, now, I find I can lift with a finger nail.  I've used the dummy battery a few times in recent days.  It's very useful to have a power source equivalent to 10/12 batteries!  I don't think the battery door pinches the cable leading out of the dummy battery.  The only reference I can find to using a dummy battery is in this link...https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/fujifilm-ac-9v-ac-power-adapter-how-to-use.32973/

Two posters actually refer to leaving the battery door open.  Surely I'm not the only one who's discovered the 'small plastic plug' and what Fuji presumably has designed it for!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Elly3
      In 2 weeks time and not in use, the battery in my XT3 is only 58% full. Camera stored with 18-55mm lens
    • By joao.cardososilva
      Hi everyone,
      I just bought recently a used Fuji X-T2 (2 years old) with very few shots (the camera is in like new condition), the camera is perfect for my kind of use (as a hobby) but I came across with a huge problem: when the battery is at 80% or less and using the mechanical shutter, after pressing the shutter button to take a photo the camera goes completely black on the LCD and EVF and freezes. I can't even turn off the camera and need to remove and replace the battery. It just crashes every single time I try shooting with mechanical shutter. Using the electronic shutter the camera works normally.
      Using the mechanical shutter, the camera works perfectly only when the battery is fully charged.
      Both firmwares (Body and Lens) are updated with the last version available.
      Please, if anyone could tell me something about this problem I would appreciate that!
    • By natswright
      I found this as a direct replacement for the NP-W126S 
      https://www.duracelldirect.co.uk/digital-camera/fujifilm/oem-pno/np-w126s.html
      Are there any others I can use. Duracell do do another battery
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-DRFW126-Rechargeable-Lithium-Ion-Battery/dp/B01GJZLHJC/
      But this is the none S version, that has reduced capacity, especially for video?
      As the genuine batteries are so expensive, i'm looking for recommendations for a cheaper alternative
    • By Shehab Ahmed
      I just got a Fuji X-T20 2 days ago and I have some problems 
      first of all my battery takes a full day to charge which is very odd 
      secondly every time i record 4K it says “write error” however I did insert a old memory card on it with only 17mb writing speed, it works fine with 1080 recording but the problem only occurs when I record 4K. So I ordered a sanDisk extreme pro 32Gb with a 90mb writing speed and it will arrive in 3 days. 
      so can the problem be due to the old memory card or should I just return the camera and get a refund?
    • By SueM
      Hi everyone, I recently bought a X-T20 to use as a travel camera. I'm going overseas on a photography tour soon, so will be shooting all day, but I'm very concerned about battery life. I've set everything as suggested by Fujifilm to lengthen battery life but am still only getting <100 images from each charge. The only thing I didn't change was turning the IS off on the lens. I only shoot RAW. Any suggestions? From what I've read, there seems to be huge variations in the number of images people are getting.
    • The answer is to use a proxy workflow  
    • I found that only some software and some web browsers work with the XWebCam, and those that do typically need to have an update. I think the Zoom App most recent works fine, and MS Teams *inside Chrome only* works, but MS Teams native app doesn't work, nor does MS-Teams in other browsers like safari. That said, the post above about forcing permissions on MS Teams may point at a general issue with what needs to be changed with apps -- i.e. the need to access the removable storage which I guess
    • Search your manual for "PRE-AF" option. If ON camera should focus without pressing release botton.
    • Thanks, Willtoride. It's beginning to make sense to me now. I guess I was really stressing the CPU.
    • Just got the new X-S10. I don't think you have a forum for the X-s10 yet. Hopefully this is the right place to post. I'm confused about how autofocus works. I'm sure it is similar on all X models. Before I bought, I watched tons of videos on youtube about the X-S10 and when they tested the autofocus, they would walk away or towards the camera so you could see the focus adjust. Now that I got the camera, I'm baffled. (1) AutoFocus doesn't seem to happen automatically but you have t