XF 56/1.2R Stuck in Auto Aperture Mode?! Anyone else?

keenevision

Friday I put my new 56 f1.2R lens on my Xt-1 (bought lens new from B&H in March) and, boom. Lens now won't come out of 'A' mode. Used it last Tuesday on portrait shoot in Manual Aperture and everything was fine; but now it's locked solid. Tried it on several bodies, nope, won't budge.

Pretty sure B&H will assist me (waiting for email response) but, wondering if anyone else has had this trouble?

Really aggravated, especially as I dropped my 10-24/f4 the week before and had to send that for repair....

Bob Keene

Keene Vision Photography

Bob,

Sorry for your troubles, especially for your bouncing 10-24. Those of us who shoot a lot eventually get around to dropping something. I've lost one or two P&Ss to drops, one to theft, several more to water. I had a spectacular incident in 1982 involving a large gadget bag and the ocean, but that's a story for another time.  

I bought a used Fujinon 90mm and the aperture wouldn't open past f/2.2. My guess is yours (and mine) is something internal, something electronic. Like you, I'm sure B&H will assist you, probably under warranty repair.

Good luck. Things will get better. . . . 

• 2 weeks later...

[...] I bought a used Fujinon 90mm and the aperture wouldn't open past f/2.2. [...]

PMFJI, but I just received my 90mm and I have the same kind of problem. The aperture ring doesn't seem to register fully, typically giving f/2.2 on the display with f/2 set on the ring. So if I turn it: 2.2 -> 2.2 again -> 2.5 -> 2.8, or conversely. At times it's an aperture between f/2.8 and f/4 that is displayed twice.

I can't say it happens every time I mount it, it even tends to occur less and less often. So... Electr(on)ical or hardware issue, or just poor contact? Do you think it justifies sending the lens back?

TIA for any advice. Best regards, Daniel

Hmm... Unlikely: I received the lens with firmware 1.00. It had the problem. I applied firmware 1.01 (which I had downloaded prior to Fuji withdrawing it -- I understand that there's no problem with this firmware and my X-pro 2). The problem was still there, albeit perhaps a tad less frequent.

I've got the feeling that, the more I use the lens: mount, unmount, play with aperture, the less frequently the problem occurs. Self-solving problem? I'm puzzled.