Fuji xt10 wifi security???

Lynxo

Hi,

I was able to get fuji remote app on ipad working for both remote and receiving.

The fuji app to receive photos only will not connect for some reason.

My question is what security is in place when you turn the fuji's wifi on?

So anyone near me can just as easily view where my camera is pointed with remote app on

or then can download my photos?

since it does not ask for any password, that is my concern.

The WiFi is secured, the first time you connect to it, you are asked to key on your smart device the last few digits of the camera serial.

And even if someone is able to track you physically around, find the exact moment you are enabling the WiFi on the camera to connect to it, you still have a visual confirmation of the device that is going to connect to your camera and need to validate that request where the device name is shown.

Is that a 0% possibility ? No, it is not, but it is something that is pretty rare/difficult for it to occur. Worst case scenario, they will have a copy of your pictures, and even they are connected, you still have to send the picture manually from the camera, you can not just siphon everything without you agreement on both the device AND the camera.

I don’t know whether this is strange but I think I had to do some sort of validation the first time that I connected the phone to the X-T1 but when I connected it to the X-E2 I didn’t have to, just pressed connect and it di ( with the usual fiddly situation improved just a little recently).

it is theoretically possible that someone would abuse this system and that they could tap into you camera and I am sure that some agency might have thought of this ( they for sure would love to do this on any cell-phone out there!).

The only possibility to defend yourself is buying a camera without wi-fi and wear a tin foil cap at all times while shooting  ;)   :D   :blink:

The WiFi is secured, the first time you connect to it, you are asked to key on your smart device the last few digits of the camera serial.

And even if someone is able to track you physically around, find the exact moment you are enabling the WiFi on the camera to connect to it, you still have a visual confirmation of the device that is going to connect to your camera and need to validate that request where the device name is shown.

Is that a 0% possibility ? No, it is not, but it is something that is pretty rare/difficult for it to occur. Worst case scenario, they will have a copy of your pictures, and even they are connected, you still have to send the picture manually from the camera, you can not just siphon everything without you agreement on both the device AND the camera.

No, this is not true. When I went to wifi settings in ipad, it connected immediately, did not ask for any

code, on the xt10 it did not provide one either.

I live in an apartment complex where you can easily grab other peoples wifi and of course they could do same with fuji camera.

so if you do this daily, eventually other will notice fuji wifi keep popping up. I guess I could change fuji wifi name to FBI or

Homeland security, lol

I just find it extremely odd with all this technology Fuji did not add add wifi security protocols.

Does not matter if my photos are crappiest in the world, it is a matter of privacy.

Yes, timing has to be right but it only takes one time for someone else to connect.

I just won't use this feature till they add pass code protection at the very least.

That's weird indeed, the X-T1 did request those validation steps, since the X-T10 is a trimmed down version of the bigger brother, I assumed it would have the same behavior.

But indeed, there seems to be absolutely no security settings on the X-T10 except turning it on or off on the camera and connect with the right app.

well, if you really are concerned about this ( some would say paranoid but let’s leave it to concerned) that not even using the wi-fi has no guarantee that thr wi-fi isn’t working but the light of the wi-fi isn’t blinking at all while it is the same way the camera of your computer might be working and the green led wouldn’t be on.

You phone can be tapped without you noticing that it is and the geolocation of both phone and camera tells everyone where you are.

I suggest re-reading 1984.

My wife is always been very much afraid that it would all come true and I always told her that it wouldn’t but I have to admit... IT HAS.

So, yes, the technology is there and they might use it on you. True.

However I was born in the shadow of a huge volcano, te Vesuvius. About 6 million people (or more) live around the volcano and go about their business every day as if nothing was threatening them, you couldn’t live otherwise, you would go crazy or move.

If you live in certain countries, camera surveillance is intense, to say the least, but people live there as if they weren’t continuously watched.

So maybe someone CAN tap your camera, they can do this whether you authorize them or not, if the camera has that possibility.

Yeas ago there was a journalist friend of mine who sent his articles ( on hi fi not on political matters!!!) only via post an not via email because he wouldn’t risk that someone could intercept his articles.

I called that paranoid but, yes, it was and still is possible.

Welcome to 1984, just a few years later.

well, if you really are concerned about this ( some would say paranoid but let’s leave it to concerned) that not even using the wi-fi has no guarantee that thr wi-fi isn’t working but the light of the wi-fi isn’t blinking at all while it is the same way the camera of your computer might be working and the green led wouldn’t be on.

You phone can be tapped without you noticing that it is and the geolocation of both phone and camera tells everyone where you are.

I suggest re-reading 1984.

My wife is always been very much afraid that it would all come true and I always told her that it wouldn’t but I have to admit... IT HAS.

So, yes, the technology is there and they might use it on you. True.

However I was born in the shadow of a huge volcano, te Vesuvius. About 6 million people (or more) live around the volcano and go about their business every day as if nothing was threatening them, you couldn’t live otherwise, you would go crazy or move.

If you live in certain countries, camera surveillance is intense, to say the least, but people live there as if they weren’t continuously watched.

So maybe someone CAN tap your camera, they can do this whether you authorize them or not, if the camera has that possibility.

Yeas ago there was a journalist friend of mine who sent his articles ( on hi fi not on political matters!!!) only via post an not via email because he wouldn’t risk that someone could intercept his articles.

I called that paranoid but, yes, it was and still is possible.

Welcome to 1984, just a few years later.

While I agree with all of the above, I have to add the following: nobody really cares about your stuff  :)  Also, using a government controlled mail service isn't really a bulletproof plan either. Hilarious though ;) Yes, 1984 is real. Has been since the early 2000's...

Sorry to be blunt. But people who really want to get something from you, will. Others, couldn't give a damn. I see people placing huge watermarks on their pictures all the time. What good has that ever done? People who want to steal your pics, still will. But 99% of the time, people don't cary anyway. That's the sad truth.

That's’ prett much what I told my friend back then... It was long ago, before the year 2000.

“ Who do you think you are that someone would “ intercept” your Hi-Fi articles !? Come on! Get real!"

So, now like then, probably nobody cares to intercept my articles on Jazz music or music in general... but things have changed and there is more and more call for surveillance because things are not as innocent anymore as we thought they were before.

Have you seen “ House of cards”? Very entertaining I highly recommend it.

Of course it is fiction, there is probably no need to worry, it’s only a story which looks good on screen. Or is it? Apple seems to think that there is something to worry about when it comes to the privacy of their phones.

The guardian wrote this

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/21/apple-fbi-encryption-battle

But of course, as they always say...If you have nothing to hide... why worry?

But these are worrying times and I’ve read “ Shock doctrine” .

Guest thiswayup

No, this is not true. When I went to wifi settings in ipad, it connected immediately, did not ask for any

code, on the xt10 it did not provide one either.

According to the manual in your camera, it looks like  - this is shown with pictures only - you are supposed to press a button on the camera and touch a GUI button on the phone/tablet at almost the same time if they are to connect. Are you saying that this is not true? Because, in case you haven't realized it, that is a common form of network security. The camera accepts new connections for just a few seconds - and in this case, possibly/probably only from apps using a special protocol:

ill_bd_wi-fi_smartphone_x-t10_640.gif

..So it looks like someone will only be to intercept your images from another flat if they sit there with a Fuji app on their phone pressing that same button day every few seconds. Is this really something you are worried about?

If you want the OP wants to know more, then why contact Fuji's tech support by email? 

That's’ prett much what I told my friend back then... It was long ago, before the year 2000.

“ Who do you think you are that someone would “ intercept” your Hi-Fi articles !? Come on! Get real!"

So, now like then, probably nobody cares to intercept my articles on Jazz music or music in general... but things have changed and there is more and more call for surveillance because things are not as innocent anymore as we thought they were before.

Have you seen “ House of cards”? Very entertaining I highly recommend it.

Of course it is fiction, there is probably no need to worry, it’s only a story which looks good on screen. Or is it? Apple seems to think that there is something to worry about when it comes to the privacy of their phones.

The guardian wrote this

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/21/apple-fbi-encryption-battle

But of course, as they always say...If you have nothing to hide... why worry?

But these are worrying times and I’ve read “ Shock doctrine” .

I never said that privacy isn't needed. Quite the opposite. I'm also a big fan of Naomi Klein's writing, and I couldn't agree more. And yes, Apple is very right to worry about setting precedents when it comes to security.

Still, to think that someone would be interested in following you around, have the right app ready for that fraction of a moment when they might intercept your files, is just being plain paranoid. If they want your files, I'm sure they can hack your computer/table/phone with far less trouble :) Or they'll just steal your camera.

I don’t think that there are any issues with people stealing my or OP’s pictures.

I am not this paranoid.

Let me add an emoticon  :) ... but 

Someone said “ Thinking evil of anyone (or anything) is a sin and yet many times you hit the nail on the head"

If you are impressionable don’t watch this  ;)   :rolleyes:

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS78f4WUbXs

Edited by milandro

I don’t think that there are any issues with people stealing my or OP’s pictures.

I am not this paranoid.

Just because you're paranoid, does not mean they're not after you ;) Lol. OP, please I think thiswayup nailed your answer.

i just tried xt10 with iphone fuji remote app. Then I tried connecting to fuji using ipad, the message says Camera is busy so

looks ok, can only connect to one device at a time.

Hey you live in luxurious volcano soil where the food and produce is Cream of the Crop, so enjoy! lol

Us poor folks in 1st world USA eat frozen food, fast food, so much processed food and preservatives, when we die

our bodies will never decompose. jk

Honestly though, I find it so ironic watching food shows on tv, 2nd and 3rd world countries have so many fresh varieties of food

while here it's processed, MSG and GMO. We all know its part of the industrial complex and its plan for the populus.

In regard to 1984, we are heading there, they make subtle changes but we are headed there.

We have RFID technology now, now its a chip in our bank card, why? Why Cloud storage is being adopted?

keep watchful and be alert but cant sweat over what you cannot control. I will try and enjoy taking some photos

in the mean time...