XF 60 mm macro turn off during image review

helgeb

Hi,

I use the 60mm extensively for macro work, and I have one major complaint (other than lack of 1:1 reproduction ofc.), and that is this:

As most users of this lens knows, the focus is very slow, taking about 2 seconds from closest focus to infinity. Every time I check my images to see if I got focus, the lens turns off an goes to infinity. Then I half press the shutter to go back to shooting mode, and I have to wait 2 seconds for the lens to focus before I can shoot again.

Is there a way to not have the lens turn off when I look at my pictures (or goes into the menu)?

I know it works with the automatic image review after each shot, but that does not fit well with my style of shooting.

Any help is appreciated.

As far as I know, no. It's the lens resetting itself back to its default position, the only real workaround with that is to use manual focus, which you should if you are doing macro work with the lens.

Now, outside of the macro mode, the lens is a tad bit slow but not that slow. Don't expect it to grab accurately anything that moves faster than a brisk pace but for static subject, you shouldn't be struggling that much.

Specially now that both the X-T1 and X-E2 got the FW 4.x updates

As far as I know, no. It's the lens resetting itself back to its default position, the only real workaround with that is to use manual focus, which you should if you are doing macro work with the lens.

Now, outside of the macro mode, the lens is a tad bit slow but not that slow. Don't expect it to grab accurately anything that moves faster than a brisk pace but for static subject, you shouldn't be struggling that much.

Specially now that both the X-T1 and X-E2 got the FW 4.x updates

I always manual focus when doing macro, and that does not stop the lens from turning off when i go into the menus. I don't care about autofocus, but the autofocus speed moves at the same pace as the lens turning off. Yes, the new firmware did make a difference in the autofocus speed (I'm using the X-T10, that had the new autofocus from the factory), but the lens is still turning off. And when I work at the closer distances, the lens takes quite some time to turn off, and on again, every time I want to check if I hit focus.

I just checked the 60 on my X-T1. Set to manual focus and dialed it to the closest focus (with the lens barrel extended to it's furthest); take photo; press playback button to check photo and lens retracts to "park position"; half press shutter to go back to shooting and lens returns to where I had previously focused it. Same result when shutting off camera: lens parks when switched off, but returns to where it was last focused when turned back on. Odd that it would behave differently on X-T10. You definitely have the most current firmware for camera and lens?

I always manual focus when doing macro, and that does not stop the lens from turning off when i go into the menus. I don't care about autofocus, but the autofocus speed moves at the same pace as the lens turning off. Yes, the new firmware did make a difference in the autofocus speed (I'm using the X-T10, that had the new autofocus from the factory), but the lens is still turning off. And when I work at the closer distances, the lens takes quite some time to turn off, and on again, every time I want to check if I hit focus.

Same test done as bird and it behaved the same way for on my side. Not certain why it would be different for you.

Side note, I am using an X-T1 on the FW 4.20, haven't updated yet to the 4.30 yet.

My X-E2 w FW 4.0 works the same - in MF mode it always returns to the focus point - but it always cycles to parked position when leaving shooting mode. Might be a good note to send along to Fuij. But I think you're going to need a manual focus lens to truly get rid of the issue. Or more patience - which is very useful for macro shooters!

Hey, you need another lens (or an extension ring) to get to 1:1 anyway. Auto focus or stabilization of any kind seems to be more trouble than it's worth for macro. (I was talking about 'in lens" or "in body" stabilization. A stable tripod or other platform with a firm camera attachment is essential.)

Not to plug Nikon again, but you can get an excellent used 55/3.5 Macro-Nikkor for just a bit more than the price of a Fuji battery.... Or, for a bit more, any of the Sigma or Tamron or Tokina 90-105 macro lenses in all sorts of mounts....

Not to plug Nikon again, but you can get an excellent used 55/3.5 Macro-Nikkor for just a bit more than the price of a Fuji battery.... Or, for a bit more, any of the Sigma or Tamron or Tokina 90-105 macro lenses in all sorts of mounts....

There is also the very good Super Takumar Macro 50mm F4, also nicknamed 'lil wonder. A lot more pricier but still below anything on the XF lineup

I understand that behavior is not something that can be set in camera settings. If it's the case, then perhaps it could be changed in firmware by Fuji? Sony approach is simple and elegant (uncommon thing for sony), lens is not parked immediately after leaving shooting mode, camera waits for some time (it's at least 10 seconds, perhaps a bit more, can't check anymore) before doing that. That means you can review recent photos, and go back to shooting, and nothing happens to the lens (which also means it's faster to enter and exit images review mode). If you stay in images review mode for longer period, lens park as usual. I wish for something like this in my Fuji.