xf56mm too heavy?

Sidtw

6 months ago I purchased an xf56mm in Hong Kong. I discovered dust inside the lens and got it professionally cleaned at the Fuji service center in Taipei.

Now, 2 months later, suddenly the electronic aperture display does not match anymore the physical aperture ring. On the physical ring it says f4, but it shows f3.6.

The electronic aperture is always faster by 1 stop, starting from f2 on.

However, if I support the lens with the hand, then the contact are fine again and the correct aperture number is being displayed.

I also discovered that the lens itself has play at the vertical axis. One can bend it a tiny little bit, at least that what it seems.

Might it be because the lens is too heavy?

I'll send it in for maintance and repair for sure, just wanted to ask whether this might be due to the weight of the lens or because it wasn't properly put together by the customer service 2 months ago.

Despite the 56 being indeed a big lens ( which was, together with the price tag one of the reasons why I went for the 60mm) I don’t think that the lens is heavier than the camera can physically support ( If that were the case, can you imagine what would happen with the 100-400?).

I think that it is a malfunction which could depend upon the aperture ring outside being out of alinement with the contacts inside, and this suspicion would be corroborated by other thing wiggling or not being alined.

Unless the camera and or the lens have received some trauma, this could be even something cause by the lab not closing the lens properly after servicing.

I don't think the weight of it can be a fault here.

The 18-135 is my default lens on the X-T1 and I never have to worry about it. 

Now if we were speaking about that 50-140 lens, there could be some issues since that lens is a large bulk of glass and technology at twice the weight of the X-T1 body alone.

I would be inclined toward a faulty lens that was missed on QC.

On a side note, this is one of the many lenses which we have been told were bought new ( I did buy one too, a 10-24mm) and we know that the lens had solid particles within, between the lenses.

I really don’t understand how this happens in a new lens just out of an unopened package!

It depends on camera sample you have. I had one X-M1 camera that shown significant play with heavy lens (about pound or a bit less), while X-T1 mount didn't play for same lens.

When you support the lens do you touch the Aperture ring? I think that the problem is related to contact group under the Aperture ring.

There are sliding contacts that move over pattern on a contact film under Aperture ring and produce different combinations of signal.

It may happen that contact ribbon is shifted a bit due to temperature influences. Or that contact group is not properly secured and shifted a bit (it's mounted to Aperture ring).