Astro photos at my mother-in-law's

Phil

My wife and I did Thanksgiving dinner with her mom last night. Her mom lives in a small cottage-y town about an hour away from us. There was definitely some light pollution from the houses around us, but I could see the Milky Way from her backyard.

I'm pretty happy with the results (this is my second attempt at astro) but I really wish I had something wider. I need to get the 56mm for jobs, but as soon as I can afford it I'm getting the Rokinon 12mm. I had a blast doing this and just wish I could have gotten a wider field of view for pretty much every shot.

This was the 23mm at 1.4, and 15 seconds and 3200 IIRC.

22111705915_9d59b8c81b_c.jpgDSCF6024 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

And here are a few more I shot in a more woodsy area of the town. In the car photo, I couldn't actually see the car or any lights on inside it when I was outside.

21935431330_7baa5caa4c_c.jpgDSCF6042 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

22133716631_7633c11ea2_c.jpgDSCF6040 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

22121766951_64d472a9f8_c.jpgDSCF6045 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

They're all quite nice pictures, especially the third one, but they also remind me why I sold my 23mm. It's otherwise great lens, but coma is something quite horrible. Unfortunately same is true for 16mm F1.4. It's a shame that in order to do wide angle astrophotography you're pretty much forced to use Samyang manual focus lenses.

And this doesn't look like coma, just a slow(er) shutter speed that allowed for slight movement (?)

This is definitely coma. Central stars are sharp. Edge stars look like comas around the center. That's quite usual uncorrected aberration.