X100V scratching/grinding noise (MF)

Hi! Anyone who has the X100V - I'm stoked to get the new camera, but I realise that the manual focus ring is smooth but makes a scratchy sound when turning (See attached video).

No functions affected but I don’t remember this happening with my previous X100 camera... does anyone have the same problem, or perhaps I have a lemon?

thanks in advance.

Yes a very similar thing happens with mine as well. A noticeable sandy; scratchy sound when turning the manual focus ring. More audible and rough when I turn it clockwise; less so when I turn it anti-clockwise. It sounds like metal-on-metal rubbing. I’ve also noticed a general softness to the images that I have captured on it to date.

I have taken the camera back to the camera store it was purchased from, and the sales clerk whom I know well, acknowledged the issue and suggested that several other X100V owners had also returned theirs; all of whom cited the same noise when manually focusing. Although none of those owners shared any concerns over image softness. Incidentally, the same store had just received a new batch of 15 cameras this morning; and found the same manual focus ring noise upon inspection. 

So it could be more widespread than was initially thought. Or it could be nothing at all. All I know is that I tried the X100V side-by-side with the previous X100F in store with the sales clerk; with the X100F not exhibiting the same noise. 

The store clerk advised that he would be sending an email to Fujifilm’s head office asking for further comment. 

Come to think of it, I do remember watching a couple of YouTube video reviews of the X100V; where I recall the reviewer mentioning that an audible noise was present in video when the manual focus ring was turned. 

Same issue with mine. I noticed it early on and returned the camera. No issues with softness, just the scratchy manual focusing ring. Really disappointing. I've owned every version of this camera and although I rarely use MF I have a hard time believing Fuji would allow this to be a normal characteristic of the camera. I also thought the on/off switch was a little wobbly, that was the first thing I noticed.

Edited by Scott-AZ

Just received my X100V (the black model) from Adorama. Yes, it makes  a noise when using the manual focus. Probably will be a problem if changing focus when shooing video. Also, disappointing that such a high priced camera has these obvious mechanical problems.

The camera seems to get pretty hot during use in the lower right back of the camera, but I assume this might be correctable via firmware. But I do not see the grinding noise being something to fix via firmware.

I regretfully will have to return this camera unless Fuji Corporate can offer a quick solution.

• 5 weeks later...

My take on the issues: I have not received my X100V yet due to the CCP-CV-19 quarantain lockdown here in the Philippines. How ever, owning the X100s/t/f before and now hopefully the V as my EDC camera for for almost everything from street to landscape to documentary or portraits, I'm quite surprised Fujifilm letting out a camera which is def. NOT RIPE to hit the market! This way Fujifilm is jeopardizing everything, the name as a top quality brand, superiour enigneering and manufactoring etc. What happen here is "f....ing" customers! This must be punished! I just cancelled the order for a X-T4 and some lenses and will wait how they handle the issue. I might even change the brand. Regarding the heating - yes I also wished a weathersealed body and expected the new X100V to be considerably bulkier therefore, what would not have caused any harm. Now they have the same problem as Sony had with there compact models. This is miserable engineering, marketing and a very, very bad move from Fujifilm. Same about the grinding issue which is obviously not just a quality controll but a more serious engineering problem. So let's see what they will do about it. To be honest, I expect total ignorance - but would eat my words if they should act properly! 

Edited by WaveDancer

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 3:33 PM, longtimefuji said:

Hi! Anyone who has the X100V - I'm stoked to get the new camera, but I realise that the manual focus ring is smooth but makes a scratchy sound when turning (See attached video).

No functions affected but I don’t remember this happening with my previous X100 camera... does anyone have the same problem, or perhaps I have a lemon?

thanks in advance.

I got my X100V recently. Lucky - no "grinding" - only it gets very quick very hot. I think by switching off as many of the el. buttons and functions as possible helps a bit with the heating issue. Will not buy any new camera so soon again, the X100V still suits me as all the other X100's did before. The new lens is great! Sharper and not much loss of Fuji's legendary  "lens fidelity"! 

• 6 months later...

Hi I recently bought mine in The Netherlands, It came from Fuji Germany.
They responded, to the intermediate store, with the following positive message.

Dutch:

"bij de X100V zit de MF ring veel strakker omdat er nu een WR afdichting zit. Bij nieuwe camera´s hebben deze afdichtingen een beetje "overmaat" om ook bij intensief gebruik een afdichting te kunnen garanderen. De bewegingsvrijheid en het achtergrondgeluid van de MF ring zal zich dus automatisch veranderen bij regelmatig gebruik.

English (don't get offended by the translation):

On the X100V the MF ring is much tighter because there is a Weather Sealing now. With new cameras the seals have an 'oversize' this is a choice so that people who use the ring often can be sure of the weather sealing. De sound of the MF ring wil automatically change when you use the ring often.

On 1/12/2021 at 11:29 AM, Rene Castelijn said:

Hi I recently bought mine in The Netherlands, It came from Fuji Germany.
They responded, to the intermediate store, with the following positive message.

Dutch:

"bij de X100V zit de MF ring veel strakker omdat er nu een WR afdichting zit. Bij nieuwe camera´s hebben deze afdichtingen een beetje "overmaat" om ook bij intensief gebruik een afdichting te kunnen garanderen. De bewegingsvrijheid en het achtergrondgeluid van de MF ring zal zich dus automatisch veranderen bij regelmatig gebruik.

English (don't get offended by the translation):

On the X100V the MF ring is much tighter because there is a Weather Sealing now. With new cameras the seals have an 'oversize' this is a choice so that people who use the ring often can be sure of the weather sealing. De sound of the MF ring wil automatically change when you use the ring often.

I can confirm this. My X100V had the same as do some of my other XF WR lenses. The fact that some lenses do and others don't (same lens) leads me to believe that Fuji has quite wide production tolerances. Over the past 7 years I've had (partly still have) 13 different XF lenses. 4 of them needed replacement due to production failures (loose aperture or focus rings, crooked mount...). Though I really like Fuji cameras, to me that is a bit too often...