Danny Bates

Godox Flashes Not Firing at Slow Shutter Speeds (below 500)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is anyone else having this problem?

My XT2 works beautifully with my Godox flashes (two AD200s and one AD600) when my shutter speed is 500 or higher. But if I drop the shutter speed below 500, the flashes stop firing.

I'm using the Godox XPro-F transmitter.

So what I'm really wanting is "Low Speed Sync" so I can use my Godox flashes at speeds like 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, etc.

Why I do not suspect the transmitter or flashes

• I can press the test button on the transmitter and the flashes fire
  • I can put the same transmitter on my X100s and shoot at any shutter speed and the flashes fire successfully

This makes the XT2 my prime suspect.

Under the flash function setting menu, I do have Sync Mode set to AUTO FP(HSS) but I've tried the other settings with no success either (and didn't expect those to help anyway).

I am in single shot mode and not using bracketing or multi-exposure features.

And it doesn't matter if I manually turn off HSS via the menus on the flash units.

Do you have any suggestions I can try next?

Can you see if you are able to shoot and sync at 1/60 using your XT2 and Godox transmitter and flashes?

Any help or suggestions will be thoroughly appreciated!

Is the camera in manual mode?

Is HSS turned off on both the camera menu and the flash menu?

Is the firmare up to date? I recall one of the X-T2 updates improved radio flash control.

Is the flash trigger firmware up to date? 

It occurs to me that when the flash is in HSS, it is expecting to flash at lower power multiple times....I don't know why this would affect only one camera, but I'm still thinking...........  

Edited by itchy shutter finger

I called Fujifilm XT2 support and they answered within 2 rings and were most incredibly helpful!

After about 30 minutes of troubleshooting, we discovered my mechanical shutter was going bad - specifically the second curtain. While I'm not glad there's a problem, I'm glad to know what it is. I'll be sending the body to them for repair, which should take about 2.5 weeks. I'm very happy with that.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:28 PM, Danny Bates said:

1/500th of a second, shutter speed

so below 1/500th is 1/1000th?

or if you understand what I understand: 1/250th is slower. But at 1/250th or 1/125 shutter speed, you will not need high speed sync? And please let me tell you that from the flah point of view, HSS operation is pure stress. It has to swich on / off / on / off at a very high frequency for at least 1/125th of a second; exactly: all the time the open curtain slot needs to travel across the sensor. If you use - say 1/30 - shutter speed, it's about 4 times longer! That's not easy to implement because of energy issues - you need a bigger capacitor, you must figure out how to get the energy from a huge capacitor to the flash bulb, and you must dissipate a lot of energy in your cooling system!

22 hours ago, Vinícius Cruz said:

Friend I have the same problem as you managed to solve?

I can't say I solved it. I can only say I trust what the Fuji technician told me. It makes sense to me that the mechanical shutter was the cause. I just now packaged the camera body to be returned. So it will probably be 3 or 4 weeks before I can confirm that the mechanical shutter was the problem.

If you want to do the same test he had me do:

• set your ISO to 6400
  • set your shutter speed to 1/8000
  • set your aperture to f/2.8
  • set your shutter type to mechanical
  • take a photo of a low contrast subject, such as a gray wall with something off to the right or left of the frame
  • now set your shutter type to electronic
  • take another photo of that same subject, using the same composition

If the photo taken with the mechanical shutter was a lot lighter than the other, this suggests your mechanical shutter is failing. Otherwise, the two photos would have the same exposure.

I've attached the results from my test.

Edited by Danny Bates

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ibraxwane
      Hi guys,
      Hope you're all well.
      My Fuji randomly stopped turning on a few weeks ago. The screen turns on but not completely (as seen on the attachments). Changing to the Viewfinder also doesn't work, shutter doesn't go off...nothing works. When I turn it off, the screen stays on; I have to remove the battery for my camera to shut down. I've interchanged between my 3 batteries multiple times, and the problem persists.
      I've looked for solutions on forums, but never found anything that fits. Tried updating the firmware through an SD card but the camera won't even turn on for the update to begin in the first place.

Any tips? I'd love to hear from you guys!
      Cheers,
      Ibra

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
    • By Filand
      Hello,
      I have a quick question regarding the XT-2.  I jumped from a Canon 40D to the XT-2 some time ago.  I love the camera and the feel and output are fantastic for me.  With that said, I have noticed that I have a harder time (on the Fuji) transferring what I see in my viewfinder to my computer screen.  In other words there seems to be a disconnect between what I see in the computer and what I remember being in the viewfinder.  I don't think it is a color or exposure issue, maybe a framing?  Not quite sure.  Do I simply need more experience with the camera?  I'm using a 18-55 for both cameras.  Thank you.
    • By Thubten
      I have used cameras for a long time, none of them weather sealed, without any damage from water or dust.In fact I don't recall it even being an issue.But now I am deciding between an xt2 and xt20 ,mainly on this basis and the $700 price difference.I will never be out in the rain with this gear, but it will be exposed to ordinary dust, and perhaps high tropical humidity.I am leaning towards the xt20.This has perhaps been covered before, but I can't find a search function.
    • By AKXt2
      Hello Everyone, 
      I just picked up an XT2 and this is my first Fuji camera, really excited about using it. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and reading forum post to familiarize myself with the camera and its settings. I am very impressed by the film simulations but really confused on how to use them in conjunction with RAW files. I was under the impression that if I shoot RAW+JPEG(Fine/Norma) with a film simulation selected (e.g. Chrome). Simulation is applied to JPEG only and RAW file is pure raw without any processing that I can edit however I want in post processing. But I took the camera out for the first time and realized the film simulation is applied to both JPEG and RAW. Is there a way to shoot with film simulation applied to JPEG but get unprocessed RAW files from XT2? 
      Thanks for everyone's help in advance! 
    • By Howling Basset
      Hello ... bought the Godex V1 and use it on an X-T3 ... seems nice enough BUT ... it just sometimes doesn't work or rather it makes my Fuji seemingly go to electronic shutter and results are very overexposed. Solution is to turn either camera off and on again or the flash off and on again. Trawled the net but can't see to see anything. Sent in a request to Godox but they're obviously never going to get back to me. Anybody had similar issues or am I missing something very obvious? Camera and Flash have latest firmware. Andy
    • Hi, I'm having some weird issues with the Fringer EF-FX Pro II on my Fuji XT3 and I hope someone can help. When using the adapter with my Canon and Sigma lenses the image on the camera LCD is not showing the correct depth of field for the selected aperture unless I half-press the shutter button. The dof in the image remains wide open unless I half-press the shutter. The exposure of the image is shown correctly and changes accordingly when changing the apertue on the lens, the
    • Follow up... Picked up my camera from the repair shop yesterday. It turns out small particles (rice) got into the camera which jammed the shutter. I enjoy rice but can't figure out how that got into the camera.🤔
    • With so many impressive firmware updates, how does the upgraded X-Pro 2 compare with a new X-Pro 3  in terms of image quality and auto focus usability ? (yes, subjective question) There seem to be a lot of XP2's around looking for a home at attractive prices but I haven't seen a comparison. Dave
    • I would love if Fuji adopted Canons scroll wheel. It’s so fast and accurate, the best autofocus I’ve ever used. 
    • Hi, I wrote to the representative office of Russia. Here is the official answer (translated into english by google translator): We conducted a thorough diagnosis and revealed the appearance of a similar effect in some conditions both on your camera and on other test specimens. It is impossible to eliminate this phenomenon, since its appearance is due to the very structure of the camera components. This effect is not a malfunction, your camera passes the tests and meets the declared technica