Fujifilm X70 Rumors

Patrick FR

I would love a Ricoh GR with Fuji-controls. Both externally and the neatly organized Live-View, not to mention Film Simulations etc.

But it would seem like Fuji is going to use the old sensor for this, while the big advantage of the GR is the insane detail from that amazing lens and sensor combination .. which Fuji's sensor just cannot match. Really, Fuji's sensor is fine and all, but detail with the GR is just that insane. Even the bokeh of that lens is gorgeous.

So really Fuji doesn't have anything to offer with a camera like this (imho), other than a difference in controls and operation.

Makes no sense they would choose the same focal length as the Ricoh AND Nikon.

Could have used a zoom with their signature MANUAL operation,

or something daring and interesting like a 21mm equivalent superwide, which would make the lack of a VF less of a problem too!

(the reason i won't mention 50mm equiv, woops just did)

I would love a Ricoh GR with Fuji-controls. Both externally and the neatly organized Live-View, not to mention Film Simulations etc.

But it would seem like Fuji is going to use the old sensor for this, while the big advantage of the GR is the insane detail from that amazing lens and sensor combination .. which Fuji's sensor just cannot match. Really, Fuji's sensor is fine and all, but detail with the GR is just that insane. Even the bokeh of that lens is gorgeous.

So really Fuji doesn't have anything to offer with a camera like this (imho), other than a difference in controls and operation.

Makes no sense they would choose the same focal length as the Ricoh AND Nikon.

Could have used a zoom with their signature MANUAL operation,

or something daring and interesting like a 21mm equivalent superwide, which would make the lack of a VF less of a problem too!

(the reason i won't mention 50mm equiv, woops just did)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont Fuji and Ricoh use the same Sony 16mp sensor?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont Fuji and Ricoh use the same Sony 16mp sensor?

Of course that's like comparing two of the same cars with a different choice of engine. Both have their pros and cons, but starting with detail it's 1-0 for Ricoh.

For the purpose of this camera (being a 28mm equiv.) that would at least for me be one of the most important aspects.

Options are a good thing though, i personally like the ability to add accessories depending on what, where and when i shoot - for example adding the hand-grip to my x-e2 when using larger lenses or loosing it once a smaller prime is attached for a lighter more discreet package.

I agree. It makes me laugh when people complain about the size of the 50-140 and say that's not what mirrorless is about. That's the beauty of Fuji - if you don't like it, put the 55-200 on or a prime and keep it compact. When you need it bulked up for more serious jobs, you can do that without needing a second kit.

I don't know how many people feel this way, but I'm hoping they take a more entry-level approach to the X70. I'd love an X100T for personal use, but can't afford it when that money would be better spent on more work-oriented gear. If they can keep the X70 around $699 or $799 I'd do my best to pick one up as my everyday camera. An OVF accessory would give me eye-level framing but with less battery consumption than an EVF. Personally I'd prefer a 23mm lens on it, but I'll wait and see how unique the 18mm is. Let's hope it's not just the current 18mm f/2. :lol:

Edited by Phil

I don't know how many people feel this way, but I'm hoping they take a more entry-level approach to the X70. I'd love an X100T for personal use, but can't afford it when that money would be better spent on more work-oriented gear. If they can keep the X70 around $699 or $799 I'd do my best to pick one up as my everyday camera.

Well if price is the issue, you can get a X100 series camera used, probably even the S, for around that price or less. ^_^

Well if price is the issue, you can get a X100 series camera used, probably even the S, for around that price or less. ^_^

I would, even the original, but wifi is one of the most important aspects of an everyday camera for me. I use it almost every time I use my camera, even on paid jobs.

Sounds like Fuji found themselves a customer!  :D

waynes-world_Excellent.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno... the more I read, the more i'm picturing a mildly reworked X-M1 with a fixed lens and touch screen

More than mildly though i hope as the plasticky built quality of the X-M1 is atrocious compared to the X30, and from another planet compared to the X100.

Though the latter is more of the premium luxury kind (that feels and looks nice, but you don't wanna drop it), while the Ricoh GR being solid as a brick feels like it could survive a drop or two.

GR2_shassis.jpg

This looks much more promising than I'd feared and a bit less than I would have wished.

I would find it much more desireable had it featured even a basic built-in albada finder.

Otherwise, I'm *okay* with what I see, size and feature-wise (would rather a 20-28mm lens but 18 is acceptable)and admit that I'm even somewhat drawn to it's appearance.

So, for me, it comes down to pricing, and build.

Finger's crossed.

Fuji X70 Vs. X100T Size Comparison!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

looks might be deceiving but from where I am standing it appears to be very plasticky and frankly looking a bit cheap, with this large sleek black (plastic?) surface as opposed to the old fashioned leather or leatherette of the X100 series.

Still, it might be a great performer , but to whom? The 18,5mm lens puts it into the same territory, in terms of effective focal length, of the wide angle adapter that you can use on the X100 series 23mm lens.

If this camera comes at a price close to that of the adapter ( $350) and the quality of its lens is comparable to the one of the X100 (s-t) +  adapter, then the owner of one of these camera might decide to buy one of these as a second, wide angle, body, but if not who is going to buy this and why?

Anyway, it’s early days, we shall see. I am sure that viewfinders for this cameras will pop up like crazy made in China. It is a fixed wide angle lens with a focal length not far from the one of many adapters of the past, they were often sold with a viewfinder.

And compared to the GR

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

looks might be deceiving but from where I am standing it appears to be very plasticky and frankly looking a bit cheap, with this large sleek black (plastic?) surface as opposed to the old fashioned leather or leatherette of the X100 series.

Still, it might be a great performer , but to whom? The 18,5mm lens puts it into the same territory, in terms of effective focal length, of the wide angle adapter that you can use on the X100 series 23mm lens.

If this camera comes at a price close to that of the adapter ( $350) and the quality of its lens is comparable to the one of the X100 (s-t) +  adapter, then the owner of one of these camera might decide to buy one of these as a second, wide angle, body, but if not who is going to buy this and why?

Anyway, it’s early days, we shall see. I am sure that viewfinders for this cameras will pop up like crazy made in China. It is a fixed wide angle lens with a focal length not far from the one of many adapters of the past, they were often sold with a viewfinder.

fuji_x70_silver_f001.jpgfuji_x70_black_f001.jpg

Could be an aluminum frame like the GR maybe.  That would be nice.  It'd be really nice if this were priced at less than the GR, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.  However if it were, I'd be in line at launch...