RAF files - opening problem

Hi all. I have problems opening the RAF files of my X-E2.

I work on Ubuntu and since I have an old pc I cannot install the last RawTherapee version which reads these files.

So I've tried to download the RAW convertion program from Fuji website. I found the version for XP, I have XP, and installed. I was thinking about opening the RAF and saving it as TIFF to work it in RT, but when I try to open it I get a error message saying that file format is not supported.

Any clue?

Thank you.

You should probably have dcraw already installed on your Ubuntu system, if not or if your copy is outdated and cannot read the X-E2 files download it from here:

https://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

and compile following the instructions (should be pretty straightforward, basically just run "gcc -o dcraw -O4 dcraw.c -lm -DNODEPS").

At that point you will be able, via terminal, to run either one of the following commands (remember that these are case sensitive).

To develop a single file from RAF to TIFF (change FILENAME to the name of the file you want to process):

dcraw -H 0 -w -o 4 -q 3 -6 -T -m 10 FILENAME

To batch develop multiple files from RAF to TIFF (if your camera names the files not ".raf" but ".RAF" change this accordingly; DO NOT change "filename" to the name of your file with this command, because in this case is a variable so it should stay as it is!)

for filename in *.raf ; do dcraw -H 0 -w -o 4 -q 3 -6 -T "$filename" ; done

You will have to basically change two options, according the kind of results you're getting.

-H

This will control how dcraw treats the highlights. H0 is the default and it will work most of the times, without attempting highlight recovery. From H3 to H9 it will attempt to recover the highlights more and more. Sometime if you use H9 the image can be too dark, and you will have to add another option: "-b 5" to lighten it (actually, "-b" plus a number from 1 to 9, depending on how much you want to lighten that particular image; "-b 5" is a good starting point, though).

If you're curios about what the other options do, here is the rundown:

-H = like we saw, this controls the amount of highlight recovery

-w = this tells dcraw to use the white balance as measured by the camera

-o = with this one you can choose the color space of the output image; "4" is ProPhoto RGB (and you should really use this one), "2" is Adobe RGB and "1" is sRGB

-q = the kind of interpolation used; "1" is VNG, "2" PPG, "3" AHD; should you see strange, labyrinth-like patterns in the images you have the option to add "-f" to this voice to get rid of them

-6 = tells dcraw to output the image in 16 bits

-T = to have the software output the images in the TIFF format

-m = it will lower the color noise applying a median filter for an X number of steps (10 in my example, I found it to work pretty well) to the R-G and B-G channels

Hope this help.

Edited by addicted2light

Ach... thanx alot Addicted. I also tried the Fastpicture codecs, Bulldog, but it crashed everytime I've tried to install it. It must be that windows crap I hate.

And yes, I have dcraw. I'll try the procedure above.

Thanks again.

Ok back. It seems there's a problem. I copied the instructions above but when I tried to convert the file in the console I had a message saying "unexpected end of file".

dcraw will give you this rather unhelpful message when it doesn't support a particular camera yet. In your case it means only that you have an outdated version of dcraw, download and compile the latest one and it should be fine.

I downloaded the version on the page you linked above. It should be the last version. I checked in the software center and it also contains all the other packages like fujigreen, fujiturn and so on. Maybe I'd have to write the guy who made it to ask for clue.

Maybe I'd have to write the guy who made it to ask for clue.

At this point I guess you're right. I've always experienced that kind of error only with unsupported cameras, so I cannot be of much help if you're already running the latest version, sorry.

EDIT: my only doubt is, are you using the latest firmware with the X-E2? Because if you are, maybe it has altered the files so they are not anymore recognized by dcraw, like if indeed it was a new camera. If that's the case, you will have to wait for an update (but contact all the same the guy behind dcraw, he might ask for samples to speed up the process). 

Edited by addicted2light

Yes Addicted, I have the latest firmware, the 4.0. I've tried again to convert using basing options but I always have the same message, unexpected end of file. Then it says core dump created. I'll try to see what's going on.

Actually I used some Takumar lenses with an adapter but it shouldn't be the problem.

This is also the reason, beside the quality and "real" photography, why I carry one using "analog". Digital is consumerism at its max.

Yeah, it was good not having to worry about a new camera every other year...but I think we're getting there, if we're not already, even with digital. Besides, my wallet still hurts every time I had/have to buy film (I shoot still a bit af film as well).

Going back to your problem, meanwhile you could try using the free Adobe DNG converter.

• 2 weeks later...