Handgrip with Mounting Plates

Fred4hp

Just bought the

FODSLR® Quick Release QR LB-XT1 black metal L-Plate Bracket Hand Grip For Fujifilm X-T1 XT1 Camera

handgrip with mounting plates.

The price was only about $25 and the finish is quite good. The only gripe I have with this so far is that it is a very snug fit on my XT1 unless you take it apart and reassemble it on the camera. I had to do this to get it to sit level no the bottom of the camera. I did not want to force it on and scrath the camera.  It allows access to the battery and you can mount the camera in landscape or portrait positions on a quick release.

I have the same grip and actually I have bought this after owning for quite some time the one made by Sunway which fell short in two important areas

1) the front grip was way too short and small

2) the access to the tilting screen ( which I hardly ever use though) is much more complicated in the Sunway while made easy on this other grip by having a part of the plate removed so that you can lift the screen easily

Yes the fit is a little tight, but the grip has one bolt only to put the vertical plate on so it really works fine by removing that one first and then removing the base.

I have elected to leave it on the camera permanently so I don’t perform this maneuver all that often.

One addition was to add a pice of neoprene cut to size in the front bit where your middle finger goes.It would be nice, for grip purposes to find something to glue to the front grip to increase the actual grip since the bare aluminum is quite slippery.

I wonder in fact if anyone has a solution to improve ant slip of this type of grip while still looking nice. Leather?

...I wonder in fact if anyone has a solution to improve ant slip of this type of grip while still looking nice. Leather?

I am currently in the middle of an experiment that might give a solution.

I bought an inexpensive grip but found the front grip not substantial enough and the anodised aluminium finish too slippery.  What I am doing is building up the front grip using a type of modelling clay that air dries.  To provide something for the clay to adhere to, I first put some anti-slip tape on the front grip (course sandpaper type surface on one side, strong adhesive on the other).

So far so good.  Once the clay has dried, I will need to finish with something.  I am not sure what I will use.  Maybe grip tape designed for bicycle handlebars, or for racquet sports.  Or even carbon fibre vinyl decal for cars / autos.  But the leather idea also sounds good.   

I have the iShoot grip and L-bracket, and find it very satisfactory. Major improvement in handling. Fits very nicely. Grip is just the right size. Price on eBay was a fraction of what a UK site charges.

It had a couple short edges that they forgot to round off, but I did that myself with a Dremel-type handpiece, then re-blackened with aluminum gun blackening I had around.

The grip is aluminum and yes on first contact it feels cold, but if one holds it for a while it acclimatizes.

I was researching on coating it with truck-bedliner, but because it is aluminum, it would need to be coated with 2k primer first to ensure a bond, so I will leave it for now.

If it were patterned it would feel even better.

Another option, as someone mentioned above would be using modelling clay for a real custom grip. The best stuff for this is the Staedtler FIMO Pro modelling clay, which can be baked in an oven for further use in molding techniques. I plan on re-casting just the grip part with some Urethane Casting Resin.

The left door access is certainly possible with this grip but much depends on the kind of strap that you have on the camera. In my case what’s limiting the access of that door is not the grip but the leather circle op protection material for scratches, If I wouldn’t have that one there would be no problem with easy access but I do have it, my consolation is that I have no reason to use the door .

As for material to improve your grip I would certainly not use clay, but I rather suppose you mean something like “ Sugru” , which is a kind of adhesive plasticine which can be formed into any shape, then is cured by air drying and once is dry is stable but at the same time one can remove it without to many problems.

Sugru is a very good product which, I am afraid, unlike what happens in other countries, we in the NL cannot just buy at every corner of any street.  I would prefer it to any other similar product because it is flexible and air cured.

The Staedler Fimo clay is also good but it is best cured at a moderate heat in the oven and not all are soft to the touch.

I honestly don’t like either one of them because the finished item, even if you are a gifted sculptor ( which I am afraid I am not) looks like a hack 

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2GiLRBXux4

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZDnP9Njx8w

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnjmJEo_xmI

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jLbRQY_gvw

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE3jkwMzrrY

I have original Fuji MHG-XT (medium size) permanently attached to the camera, X-T1. The grip is rubberized exactly as camera body and this combinations give solid feels and comfortable handling. Battery door is accessible of course. No problems to use front wheel.

Initially I would like to get the larger model, but it was too expensive for me, ~200$ for such simple thing looks strange a bit. And other reason - using ultrawide angles like Samyang fisheye may be problematic with that thick grip. So I got medium sized grip and it works fine for me:

s-l1600.jpg

I got additional L-plate for some small money from ebay market, and keep it together with my tripod accessories. It can be quickly mounted/dismounted without any tool, non-slipping due to rubber pads, allows access to battery (when mounted on MHG-XT base), and allows full access to connectors door. It can migrate to other camera with similar size. What's more. Here are pictures:

4a8f3438df1ceaf969fe2ae7435c2ec1_A000858

d12f900ef4e42225a32f204afcca88ab_A000858

The original grip is 4 to 5  times more expensive that the grip which we are talking about and in case you want to shoot vertically you add yet another L plate to it ?

To each his own but this is way too complicated for me. 

Yes the front of my grip is not rubberized but once the grip is there I never need to fiddle around with it.

It is not your fault that it wasn’t available to you.

However I got my Sunway grip only few months after the camera came on the market. 

Because I have a particular type of tripod where the ball head is built in the tripod itself and only use a plate there, to use a camera on that tripod the grip has to have a vertical plate too. Mounting a second vertical pate under the original grip is a solution indeed but way too clumsy (sorry) for me especially because I have problems with operating small and fiddly objects with my fingers.

Adding Sugru would help but I don’t like its look even at its best

( there is one example of sugru modification of this very grip on dp review but the system doesn’t allow me to post it here)

I'm just pointed to an alternative for grip-with-L-mount.  For me, it's more logical, because L-option is only used together with tripod and can be connected at that time only, while main purpose of grip is better handling of camera aside of tripod. When two functions aren't intersects, each one can be implemented in more optimal way.