osullic

Whatever happened to the X70?

Whatever happened to the X70? I don't currently own any Fujifilm camera, but I'm looking for a new small camera for travel. I have a list of "wants", and while the X70 doesn't tick all my boxes, it certainly looks like a nice option, especially combined with the optional optical viewfinder and wide converter lens.

The X100 series looks even better of course, and I keep re-considering it, but the 28mm equivalent when combined with the WCL-X100 is just not wide enough, and so rules the camera out.

Edited by osullic

The X100 cameras have a 23mm lens, which, on an APS-C sensor, provides about the same angle of view as a 35mm lens does on a full-frame camera.

Paired with the WCL-X100, which is a 0.8x wide-angle converter, the X100 captures an angle of view about the same as a 28mm lens on a full-frame camera.

I would like a wider angle of view - something like what you get with a 24mm or 25mm lens on a full-frame body. The X70 looked interesting because, paired with its own WCL-X70 wide-angle converter, it captured an angle of view equivalent to a 21mm lens on a full-frame camera. But angles of view this wide are not possible with the X100 cameras.

Edited by osullic

Yeah, I meant the X70, which has a 18.5mm lens. Sorry for the confusion. And, I did not know there is a converter for the X70, too.

Even though discontinued you might get one new. No information yet about a successor.

I LOVE my X70. But where is our X80? The sensor and processor need updating. But this truly pocketable APS-C X-Trans sensor -with tilting screen- is amazing. It’s just as capable as any of its bigger siblings in terms of IQ making it maybe, the highest quality image maker for its size that there is. C’mon Fuji! Get on it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Antoine B
      Hi, 
      I wonder if anyone had the chance to try the WCL-X100 and TCL-X100 on the X70.
      The mount is the same as the WCL-X70 so it's technically possible, although I guess the distortion will be quite an issue... 

Any interesting feedback?

Cheers

Antoine
    • By foosa dee cat
      I don't really use my X70 often  I have an XT-1 as my main camera. I keep my X70 in my camera bag with the cap always on except when shooting.
      And I noticed these spots on my pictures when the aperture is above 5.6   they are on the left side and on the bottom right....
      I keep my cameras clean and have avoided any dusty environments..  has any one else had these issues with an X70? the warranty has expired and I just placed an order for a X100F.
      these spots make me nervous about the X100F
      any thoughts?

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
    • By rr1979
      Hi all,
      I enjoy shooting at the wide-to-standard focal length boundary, and am torn between the x70 and the x100T. I mainly enjoy shooting small family gatherings, people, about town, and when travelling.

From all that I've read, I know that I can't really go seriously wrong with either camera - however I have a couple of concerns that I've not seen addressed.

Between the x70 and the x100T, the main concerns are:

1. Focal length: I love everything about the x70 except the 28mm equivalent focal length. I prefer the 35mm FOV. I know that the x70 has a software 35/50 mm mode that will display the 35mm FOV, and I think that for me the 16 MP is large enough to sustain the effective loss is resolution from the digital crop. But if I do shoot at 28mm, I'm worried about distortion since I'll be shooting closer to my subject. Put simply, will photos of people appear distorted and unflattering with the x70 as opposed to the x100T? (This is probably as much a question about photography as about these 2 cameras - unfortunately I'm not in a position to test this for myself, which is why I'm asking)
      2. Price: the x100T is available for $200 less, so the difference in price is $400 between the 2 cameras. I think the x100T is a great camera for my purposes already, and I don't think I'd really need the rumoured x100F. However, would the price of the x100T drop significantly more than the current $200 discount to when the x100F is released? I can wait since I have another camera with me. Obviously nobody knows the answer to the future pricing, discounts etc., but was hoping someone who considered the camera during the x100S to x100T transition might be able to help.

Between the x70 and the x100T, the differences in size, f/2 vs. f/2.8, absence of viewfinder in the x70 don't greatly bother me.

Would love to hear back about what you guys think I should do.

Thanks a lot,
      Rahul.
    • By menphrad
      Hello there,

as I use my X70 mainly for street phtography I often shoot in continuous low mode. After a short day of shooting I've easily done 3000+ exposures.

For how many releases was the X70's shutter designed?

Thanks for your information & best regards,
      Manfred