Canon EF 400 f5.6L on my X-T4 with the K&F EF-FX A/F adapter

I have ordered the Canon EF 400 f5.6L and a K&F adapter to hopefully give me longer-range option on my X-T4. I had the lens previously when I owned a Canon body but found it frustrating without any IBIS or lens IS as it's not the fastest of lenses at f5.6. This is going back some 10 years or so. I've subsequently changed from Canon to Sony then to Fuji. I'm very happy with my X-T4 but I have found the few native Fuji lenses I've tried to be disappointing in one respect or another and I definitely haven't the cash or incentive to try the Fuji 150-600 so I'm going the above route as I know the Canon lens is good under the right conditions and 2nd hand ones are a steal at the present time but I note that they seem to be selling quickly on MPB - they had 4 last week and now there's just 1 left. Maybe other people are thinking the same way? The X-T4 of course has IBIS and there is Topaz for high ISO noise when light conditions require cranking up the ISO, neither of which were available when I was using the Canon EOS system. Hopefully I shall be happy with the Canon 400 and adapter with a combined cost of half that of the Fuji telephoto lens albeit with 200mm less of focal length.

I shall be posting my results here as soon as I am able (probably within a couple of weeks) and hope that others may find this of interest, particularly with regard to autofocus and IBIS on this combination. Just to note, my other prime lenses are both Viltrox - 13mm and 75mm and I am very impressed by them.

Edited by BobD

Welcome to the forum.

That is a really good lens, hopefully it will give you many great images.

You did not mention which K&F adapter are getting, they make several, but not all of them have the aperture control ring on them. Since that lens does not have an aperture ring, the price for the adapter with the ring (if you want it) is not much more than for the one without the ring.

I am mentioning this so that if the menu does not allow you to change f-stops for that lens - adapter combination (the lens will stay wide open for every shot), it is still possible to get it to work.

Best wishes.

Edited by jerryy

13 hours ago, jerryy said:

Welcome to the forum.

That is a really good lens, hopefully it will give you many great images.

You did not mention which K&F adapter are getting, they make several, but not all of them have the aperture control ring on them. Since that lens does not have an aperture ring, the price for the adapter with the ring (if you want it) is not much more than for the one without the ring.

I am mentioning this so that if the menu does not allow you to change f-stops for that lens - adapter combination (the lens will stay wide open for every shot), it is still possible to get it to work.

Best wishes.

I've ordered the AF version without aperture ring as I found it at a very good price (new). I'm reasonably confident I can make aperture changes in the camera menu however if that turns out to not be the case I'll probably sell the adapter and get the other version, or possibly the Fringer, with the ring. TBH with the weather/light conditions we've had in the UK for some time now I'll probably find shooting at a constant f5.6 obligatory.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Posted (edited)

The adapter has arrived and I've been testing it on the X-T4 with the EF 400 f5.6 and so far I can't really fault it. Autofocus speed and accuracy is excellent, albeit tested only on single point focus, which is what I use 95% of the time. I can't comment on face or eye AF as I haven't tried it and I'm not a big fan of either anyway - just not features that I use. So far the lens is 'fixed' on its widest aperture of f5.6 but that has not been an issue for me at all so far and I have noticed during experimenting with camera settings that it has stopped down by itself for reasons that I am unsure about to be honest however it's very early days so it may be that there is potential to be able to alter the aperture on demand if I actually want or need to. I have yet to find any issues to make me wish I had gone for a considerably more expensive adapter with aperture ring. Attached jpeg, which has been through Topaz Photo AI and cropped, shows what this combination of lens and adapter can do

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by BobD