Panorama software

SGinNorcal

Hey all,

I love stitching photos to get big wide views.  I'm using Capture One and seems to have ran into a known problem with it for panoramas.  When the shots have lots of green and blue in them, the stitched panorama end up with crazy white balance and heavy blue/green tint.  Its sometimes possible to tweak things back but often not completely.  I say a known issue as I found it noted on Capture One's site but no fix given.  I don't want to switch to Lightroom just for this function. Anybody using a stand alone stich software they like that is compatible with C1 Raw files?  Thanks!

5 hours ago, JohannK said:

the XT-5 has a panorama feature, try it, gives good results, but not in raw!

I've tried it, don't like it.  You have go super-wide and often it errors if the camera isn't perfectly level during the sweep.  I think to consistently use it, you need to use a tripod.  And the resulting pan is reduced size and as you say, not a RAW file.  When the C1 pan works, its much better.  Unfortunately, it a "when" situation.

25 minutes ago, SGinNorcal said:

Thanks, it looks like Affinity might be my best option.  I don't really want another piece of software and the more complicated work flow but it might be necessary until C1 fixes their software.

It sounded like you are wanting to use something allowing you back-and-forth tweaking between the individual frames and the stitched panorama. The new V2 version of Affinity Photo makes that process easier than before.

Otherwise, you can export TIFF images from Capture One, there are a lot of stitching programs out there from ones like PTGui regular or Pro, or Hugin down to various free ones. But you might need to spend more time working the various exposures in C1 to get things well matched in the final image.

Edited by jerryy

The latest C1 that I purchased has Panorama functionality and I would prefer to use that and not multiple pieces of software.  I have read C1 suggestions for adjusting light fall off to improve stitching and to that end, it stitches very well w/o lines between images, things commonly seen in low-end Pan software.  It just that some of my Pans come out with screwed up color across the entire frame after stitching.  I've struggled to match the color to the original, individual frames even using straight out of camera files that are exposure matched when shot.  Some of the Pans turn out really well, I would just like to accomplish that every time.

I'm attached two screen shots to show the problem better.  This was a simple two shot Pano with 121726 as one of the originals, 122713 is the Pan.  Both originals have similar color with ISO, aperture, SS, exposure, all the same.  The preview of the stitch looked great, but when processed has the weird tint.  The sky and the soil in particular, just doesn't look right.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by SGinNorcal
changed image

That does look like, just for kicks, the software decided to mess around with the tint slider in the white balance section. Ugh.

As the video shows, Affinity Photo does work with the Capture One, and if you want to give yourself a fast preview, it does do raw conversions as well, so you can decide if you want to really pursue a composition using everything from C1 and AP.

That is exactly what it looks like and adjusting white balance and tint helps, but I don't feel I can match the original for richness of color.  I downloaded a trial of Affinity, recreated this Pan and export from Affinity, imported to C1.  It does seem to bring the color more neutral but not with the weird tint.  Just played with color a little and it does seem to be an improvement.  If C1 can't fix the issue, this may be my solution.  Thanks Jerryy!