Settings for sharp(er) images with portraits

I am a user of the Xpro2 with 35m 2.0 and the 18-55m and in a lot of cases faces of people are not really sharp. I am using face detect or single focus on the eyes. Does some one has a alternative of similar experience? What kind of settings are you using?

All other kind of images (buildings) are very sharp.

Are you sure you are shooting at a short enough shutter speed? Also using OIS is not always recommended if the shutter speed is quick enough or you are using a tripos might even be detrimental to the result.

Do consider the fact that high ISO settings are not compromising the quality of your shot as much your movements or the ones of your subject would do.

In other words, when in doubt put your ISO at 800 or 1600 and shoot that way, you will have a better result than having a go with a 1/30 sec. at 200 ISO.

Could be a focus or depth of field or a shutter speed issue.  Post a picture an example of a not sharp portrait.   

Like milando said, it's better to use high iso/high shutter speed and get a sharp image than low iso/low shutter speed and a possible a blurry image.  You can correct noise but you can't correct a blurred image.

takes all sorts.

Never heard of a lens or a camera which was too sharp for me

You can easily use softer “ classic” lenses or lens adapters which allow you to tilt the focal plane.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a user of the Xpro2 with 35m 2.0 and the 18-55m and in a lot of cases faces of people are not really sharp. I am using face detect or single focus on the eyes. Does some one has a alternative of similar experience? What kind of settings are you using?

All other kind of images (buildings) are very sharp.

Post one of your photos, with the settings on which you took it?

What are you doing in processing, as well? If you're using lightroom (especially an older version) it may be giving your trouble with your fine detail.

I attached a screenshot at 200% in Photo Ninja

ISO 400

35mm f/2 @ f/2

1/150 

Edited by RadBadTad

Here's another 100% crop with the 35 (color), and one from the 18-55 @55mm (Black and white)