Sign in to follow this  
KwyjiboVanDeKamp

Comparison: XF18F2 vs. X70F2.8 vs. XF1855F2.8-4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

(I know this shot/editing is ugly but I was too lazy to make it better)

Hey guys it's me again with another lens comparison test. Did a different one before: http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/317-135mm-lens-comparison/

This time I compared three different 18mm lenses Fuji is offering.

XF 18mm f/2 (X-E2)

X70's 18,5mm f/2.8

XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 (X-E2)

The shots are unedited (fine L) Jpegs (SOOC). I just cropped them and stitched them together. The settings of each camera were set to default (0) except the WB (I adjust it manually with a white peace of paper). ISO 200. Provia. Aperture priority.

Cause I don't have a tripod that's so low I used a chair where I put the cameras on top so the frame can vary a bit. Sorry for that.

Click on each pictures to open and maybe download on Flickr in full resolution.

If you have any questions please ask. If you have any complaints about my test please be polite within your criticism. I'm not a pro so this test might be far away from being perfect.

Feel free to share some shots/comparisons of your 18mm Fuji lenses.

So now I hope you will enjoy my little CD collection

/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png">

(the second and the forth fifth of this rack are covered by a glass door)

f/2 center

f/2.8 center

f/4 center

f/5.6 center

f/8 center

f/11 center

f/16 center

f/22 center

f/2 upper corners

f/2.8 upper corners

f/4 upper corners

f/5.6 upper corners

f/8 upper corners

f/11 upper corners

f/16 upper corners

f/22 upper corners

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Take a look at the f/2.8 image. The black box with the white letters on it, in the top right corner of the crops. The 18 2.0 is unsharp, the other two are not.

When you see this, you'll notice more differences (e.g. the big grey box, "2 Originals of Something").

looking at images on flickr at f/2.8 the difference seem slight to me,

certainly not enough to justify buying the same focal length again (if you already own one of the 3 options)

Is it just me? I do not see real differences. Some expert out there who can does?

looking at images on flickr at f/2.8 the difference seem slight to me,

Suprisingly that was my first impression too. I think it just shows how good all Fuji lenses are. I will do some different tests especially between the X70 and the XF18F2. My first impression of the X70 was: Oh damn is this little thing sharp!!! But after I did this test I was kinda "shocked" that it actually doesn't perform (much) better.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By osullic
      Whatever happened to the X70? I don't currently own any Fujifilm camera, but I'm looking for a new small camera for travel. I have a list of "wants", and while the X70 doesn't tick all my boxes, it certainly looks like a nice option, especially combined with the optional optical viewfinder and wide converter lens.

The X100 series looks even better of course, and I keep re-considering it, but the 28mm equivalent when combined with the WCL-X100 is just not wide enough, and so rules the camera out.
    • By Woodworth
      I’ve been using Fuji since they introduced the X-E1. Over the years since I have had a number of Fuji bodies and lenses but have settled on an X-T2 and an X-E2s with various prime lenses. I have always found Fuji to be a great system to work with and have earned much of my income from their products.

The lineage of each model seemed logical and each new version made progressive improvements such as improved AF or resolution for example. You can tell that the X-E2s is progression from the original X-E1 with nicely thought out additions or upgrades. The X-T2 is such a nice camera and certainly a step up from the X-T1. So far, so good.

In my mind at least the line up worked something like X-A cameras for amateurs, casual shooters, etc. The X-T10/20 for the more trendy photographer, someone who liked innovation such as touch screens and blue tooth and the cute look of the camera. The X-E cameras for the expert photographer, the person who liked the rangefinder styling and the smaller size for travelling and discrete photography, a street photographers camera perhaps. the X-T range for the more demanding photographer, someone who wanted a more professional kind of camera in a DSLR style and the X-Pro for the same kind of photographer who preferred a rangefinder kind of camera. I’m probably wildly wrong here but at least it’s a stab at my understanding the lineage of the various Fuji offerings.

Then came the X-E3 and messed it all up for me. Here was a camera that looked like an X-E camera but seemed more at home in a X-T20s? In the lineage, instead of a progression, someone seems to have left the logical path and gone off track with this camera. In my mind at least, the X-E3 should have been an upgrade from the X-E2s. Perhaps a X-E2s with the X-T2 sensor and AF but with the XT-20 flippy screen and IBIS. I can see how introducing bluetooth connectivity with a tablet and touch screens would appeal to an X-T20 user perhaps but where is the camera for the X-E1, X-E2 and X-E2s user?

I’m trying desperately hard to find the good in the X-E3 and I will try one out but it simply does not appeal to me right now. I feel that Fuji have spoilt a good thing by letting someone introduce trendy features onto something that was historically more traditional. It would be a shame if Fuji lost their vision after all the success they have had to date.
    • By kor
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
    • By kyoleung
      Hi everyone. I made a visit to the United Kingdom in April, 2015. The trip lasted 14 days.

Photos taken with X-E2 and 18-55mm lens, processed with LR 6.  This " kit " lens is a great work-around gem !

Re-evaluate all the photos recently, I found a lot of room for improvement. Picked some photos and share on Flickr.

Thanks for watching!

*** Edinburgh  ***         Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Edinburgh by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr       Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Edinburgh by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr       Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Edinburgh by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr       Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Edinburgh by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr           **** York ******         Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. York by Ja ck Lee, 於 Flickr     Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. York by Jack L ee, 於 Flickr     Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. York by Jack Lee, 於 Flickr          
    • By Jano
      Dear fellow X-E lovers,

with our hopes high that Fuji is actually working on an X-E3 now, I've been thinking a lot about what I would want the X-E3 to be like and for which features I am actually willing (and able) to pay. Since I've read all sorts of things about what people want ranging from "as cheap as possible" to "make it an X-T2 in rangefinder format" I decided to make a poll to collect all those opinions in a meaningful way. I am hoping that many people here (and from FR) participate so that I can generate some interesting statistics from the data. Patrick has done some polls but without a bit of background information I believe the value of those polls is quite low (sorry, Patrick ;-)

So, here's the link if you want to participate (it shouldn't take long):
      https://goo.gl/forms/LixLzXFAzOH6SwYx1 » Poll is now closed!

I am planning to leave it open for about a week and then do an analysis which I will of course publish here in the forum or maybe as a guest post on FR.
      If you have any comments feel free to drop them here.

Thank you!