Lens choice for San Fran, USA and 16-55mm??

Naddan28

Hi All,

I am off to San Fran on Saturday for 6 nights, including a day in Yosemite National Park and another day in Napa Valley.  I currently have the 14,35,56 and 50-140mm lenses and have been considering adding a 16-55mm to my kit bag for a couple of months.  The idea to provide a single, high IQ lens that could let me leave my 14mm and 35mm at home, whilst also having the benefits of a zoom(i.e. no changing lens, variable focal length).  Albeit the weight and lack of IS have made me hesitant.  

So I guess I'd like some help on the following:

1. Views on lens selection, can the 16-55mm really cover the 14,35 & 56mm?

2. 16-55mm, any views on it as a general landscape and travel lens?  I've seen lots of great wedding/event orientated write ups.

3. Any useful experiences or views to share with my proposed travel plans?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I'm very happy with mine, it changed my outlook on the primes, I now only get very small prime lenses (the X-E2 with the 18 or 27mm is coat-pocketable). Obviously it's not as wide as the 14, although I personally cover the wide® end with the two Samyangs. It's nowhere near as heavy or unwieldy as the 50-140 although you might want a thumb grip / L plate grip (if you don't have them already for the 50-140!) but it's marginal.

I guess it really depends if you like to massively overdo shallow DoF effects or not. Personally I'm really starting to hate seeing subjects that are only marginally in focus, a feature of the digital age it seems.

As to IS, I just bump the ISO. Low light performance of the X-trans is one of the reasons I shoot Fuji anyway. As usual with IS, it's not a substitute for faster shutter speed.

It's a really good question. If your goal is travel documentary, I'd say the 16-55 or 18-55 are nice tools for that. There are so many people with huge cameras running around in SF, you wouldn't get a second glance with the 16-55 in the touristy areas, just don't point it at people.

The 18-55 is probably even better due to being lighter weight, and you're not getting that much out of the additional 2mm in SF unless you go for wide angle effect, which I assume if you wanted THAT you'd rather use the 14 to get the effect exaggerated. 

Now, I'd definitely not take the 56, that's a specialty lens, I only carry it as I don't carry a zoom that covers that focal length from either f2.8 or f4 on. Meaning I don't carry it around for the speed but reach over 35 or 23 or so. I need faster mainly in very specific scenarios that rarely ever happen for me during travels. 

Personally, as I don't do travel documentary style anymore but go more for a "street photography" or "considered creative shot" style, I'd probably just take the 14 and 35 for San Francisco, or because I own it, just the 23 and be done with it. In Yosemite I like having some reach, so the 50-140 is probably a good thing to have there, depending on how you take pictures and which areas are still open (winter is coming, I haven't checked whether it hit Yosemite yet). 

So, I wouldn't buy another lens for SF if I was in your situation.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still on the fence, I know I definitely don't "need" the lens, I'm lucky to have such a great line up already. The convenience of being able to spend a day in the bay with one lens is pretty tempting!

Cug, you appear to be a local/past visitor, any top tips?

I'm in the South Bay, so "close enough". I've never really experienced San Francisco as a tourist, but some things are definitely worth it: Twin Peaks if the weather is okay, light is best in the afternoon with the sun behind you when you look towards the city, but there is very often fog or low cloud cover during that time as well. Marine Headlands are great, as is Sausalito. Renting a bicycle and getting around or using cabs (expensive) is a really good way as a car will most likely just get you stuck in traffic instead of seeing something. Palace of Fine Arts is worth a visit, very nice night shooting opportunities there and near the Bay Bridge on Embarcadero. Lands End, Fort Point, The Presidio, Mason Street near Grissy Field gives nice views towards the Golden Gate Bridge, as does Marine Headlands - just from the other side of the Bay. Treasure Island has incredible views towards the city. I found Alcatraz worth going, but only if you really have enough time on your hands. 

There is so much to see in SF, it's hard to pinpoint just a few places. A lot of the shots on my Flickr page are from San Francisco, just walking around in areas and taking photos. 

Maybe go on Flickr, search for San Francisco and take a look at the photos you like and where the locations are. Google Maps is also a great resource for finding good photography places in a new city.

Oh, sorry, yes. I have it in the signature on other forums:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cug

I just remembered that I took down most of my old shots from San Francisco a while ago, so here's a good link to get started:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=San%20Francisco

Let me know if you can't figure out from where photos are taken that you really like, maybe I can help. Not guaranteed, I don't live in SF, but I know it at least a little bit ... 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all the advice. I went for the 16-55mm in the end, didn't regret it, we had so little time in so many places not having to change lenses significantly increased my shooting opportunities. The lens itself is an absolute peach, a bit big but you get used to it pretty quickly, after a few days I would say I didn't really notice the weight.

Now to process all the images!

• 3 weeks later...

I can highly recommend the 16-55, it’s a great performer. I use it myself for landscape photography together with a 14mm and a 50-140mm. In the near future I will add a 1.4 TC and with this I have a complete package with top performing glass that it still of moderate size.