Comparing On1 and Capture One.

There seems to be much concern about which software does a good job of Fuji files.
Having decided to use On1 2021 I decided to compare a raf file (Fuji X-S10) with minor editing between these two editors. The photo in question is quite dull in keeping with the weather.

I only did the following to the file in both editors:

Pushed out the whites and blacks for max dynamic range
Boosted Structure (to 40)
Sharpened.

Having edited the file in each editor I exported the raf file as a full size jpeg and then compared them side by side in ACDSee Ultimate at 100%. 

The attached comparison image was captured using ACDSee Ultimate at 100%.

The Capture One image is on the left and On1 is on the right.

I concentrated on the rocks as this is where I thought there may have been a problem.
I see no noticeable difference.

I hope this is of some interest, 

Dave.

Comp ACDSee Cap1 left On1 right 100per.JPG

Hello Dave,

It is interesting to see although doing these comparisons can be quite a tricky science as different software engines will have differing incremental scales on any adjustment. I have seen this comparing Fuji rafs in C1 Pro and LR which is why I think its important to make use of the trials to help decide. How are you getting on with the X-S10? Wondering if you have tried it with primes and also if you have found the IBIS an advantage?

Will be down your neck of the woods over Xmas waving a 100v about!

John 

I agree, best approach is to download a trial and try it out. 

I have found the ibis lets me hand hold down to about half a second, below that and it is no longer sharp. Of course the lens also has IS so I may have managed with that alone but there is so much more to this camera than IBIS. 

I only have the one lens, the 16-80mm f4, and I am very pleased with it. It balances nicely with the camera.

The weather here has been quite dreary since I got the camera so you can imagine the kind of photos but I am impressed by how accurately the jpegs reflect what I actually saw. The only time it got it wrong was a seascape where the white balance was very blue. I put this down to being in Auto WB but changing to Daylight WB did not improve things.

The Acros film sim is as good as I have heard on the forums.

Enjoy your Christmas trip.

• 3 weeks later...