Sign in to follow this  
Bichael27

XF 16-55mm2.8 markings (SN and Made in)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have been shooting on the X-system for a couple of years now.

I have kind of an odd question about serial number and "made in" markings on a newly acquired lens (and maybe my attention to detail is bordering on excessive).

The lens in question is regarding the XF 16.55mm (purchased new from B&H) and the odd question is that I notice the serial number marking and "Made in Japan" marking appears as if it was applied by hand rather than printed or stamped (as it appears on my XF 35mmf/2 and XF 23mm/f.14). The markings are fuzzy, and inconsistently aligned, and rougher in texture than those other two lenses. I was wondering if maybe this is common on "red-badged" lenses?

Best regards,

Mike

Hi Mike. I've checked my 16-55 and 35f2. Both lens have identical and accurate writings. You can additionally compare s/n on the lens and in the EXIF data.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the suggestion. I've checked the data recorded in Capture One, but it looks like they include the same generic serial number for any of my Fuji lenses. Is there an alternative program I can use to find this?

edit: I ended up finding and using the ExifTool from Phil Harvey. The serial number definitely matches. I just find it odd that the other MIJ lenses have recessed markings, and this one is raised.

Edited by Bichael27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yep. I use ExifTool as well, but wrapped into ExifToolGUI utility. It's a bit outdated but let me easily edit metadata in scanned film's jpgs.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• So after all your requests have been answered favorably by Fuji with the X_t4, have you bought one?
    • I have been using my XT4 quite a bit lately--mostly making outdoors videos, but also some family/portrait shoots.   One strange thing that I've noticed:  After setting up the display exactly how I like it, the EVF will display histogram, level, and battery level (among other things).  However, when I am just looking at the back screen, these 3 items are not displayed--UNLESS I turn off the AF!  As soon as AF is turned off, histogram, level, batt level appear on the rear screen exactly where
    • Fuji gave us the X-Pro3 for still focused users, no? Personally, I'd sacrifice AF for IBIS and if Fuji had more OIS lenses, sacrifice IBIS desires as OIS is close enough. Just too useful with environmental portraits. I have the GF45-100 primarily because of OIS.   
    • Hi all, This is my first Fuji camera and I couldn't be more excited to receive my Silver X-T4 with 16-80mm Lens Kit. As most know, the date keeps getting pushed on this kit. Originally it was May, then it was June 1st, and now, the status on BH Photo is now changed to "Backordered" as of yesterday. I reached out to B&H this morning to get some sort of update and all I received was "Unfortunately we don't have an expected delivery date at this time for your order as it is currently backo