EVF magnification

I recently bought a X PRO 2. I really love the OVF, but in hard light conditions I prefer the EVF.

As I'm wearing glasses I'm not able to see the whole frame in the EVF.

Wouldn't it be great if we could change the magnification of the EVF (5 to 10% less, a bit more black border) so people who wear glasses could so the whole frame.

Maybe something to propose to fuji for a firmware update?

Pardon me if I ask: “ Why don’t you just use the dioptric correction provided by Fuji and forget the glasses?”.

That’s why the dioptric correction it is there ( in any camera featuring it). Because they know that wearing glasses will reduce view, so they provide you with the means to not wear glasses while you are taking pictures.

Extra magnification however is more an hardware than a software matter, so, don’t hold your breath waiting for a firmware which would augments magnification.

I really don’t think it is possible to change the magnification by software, unless you change resolution and show only part of the image ( which will be a very myopic thing to do, since they did so much to increase it!).

You cannot even make the EVF bigger because otherwise the camera size will grow larger then a MF and the point of having a small sensor in a small camera would be even more defeated than it is now already being the X-Pro 2 a rather large camera with a small sensor.

http://fujifilm-x.com/it/x-stories/advanced-hybrid-multi-viewfinder-of-x-pro2-part2/

“...The X-Pro2 saw a major advancement from X-Pro1 in all aspect. Needless to say, the X-Pro2's Hybrid Multi Viewfinder is no exception. It underwent an extensive review and was built with a new design. The optical unit, electronic device, mechanical construction and etc. all now have new parts.

Among them, the advancement of the electronic device is quite remarkable.
Thanks to the X Trans CMOS III and X Processor Pro, we can now fully utilize the the high performance of the LCD panel. The improvement in resolution, frame rate, and display response are huge. Just a few years back, people debated whether EVF will ever replace OVF. If you look into the X-Pro2's EVF, then you will know that we are now in a different age.

There is a dilemma however. The optical design becomes more challenging with the advancement of the LCD panel. With the ability to display higher resolution, the optical performance also needs to be improved. It is the same logic as a lens would become obsolete with the advancement in sensor's ability to achieve higher resolution.

It is easier for the lens to keep up with the high resolution sensor. There is always a way to make higher performance lens by making the lens barrel bigger. But we cannot do the same for the finder. It has to fit within the camera body size.

So the size should remain the same, but the resolution should become higher, and there shouldn't be a distortion. To achieve this, we review and redesign the optical unit.
To be specific, we achieved it by replacing the glass material of the half prism with even higher high refractive index and by adding an aspherical lens to the eyepiece. And to go with the change, lens construction has also been renewed for the objective lens and LCD panel...."

Edited by milandro

That's one reason I bought the X-T2, is I too wear spectacles, just one of the reasons for dumping Nikon because they insist in using crappy eye relief VFs. Sadly I have yet to see a Rangefinder type camera that has a decent VF eye relief. I believe that I should be able to use specs AND a viewfinder.

The eye relief on the X-T2 is I believe 23mm, I don't know what the ER of the X-Pro2 is?

Only a little rant!

PS X-Pro2 eye relief is 15mm according to the Fujifilm specifications!

Edited by Mike G

Pardon me if I ask: “ Why don’t you just use the dioptric correction provided by Fuji and forget the glasses?”.

That’s why the dioptric correction it is there ( in any camera featuring it). Because they know that wearing glasses will reduce view, so they provide you with the means to not wear glasses while you are taking pictures...

If I am walking around taking pictures I don't want to have to remove my glasses each time I take a photo; especially if the photo opportunities happen quickly. I noticed the same issue with the T1 when the EVF was set to the largest magnification, and my solution was to move the camera slightly with it up to my eye. 

I used the T1 as an example of a camera that displays five magnification levels on the EVF.

My Pro2 can display three levels of magnification on the EVF. Regular shooting, and two for MF. There is no reason why Fuji couldn't add an option to display the EVF at say 90% magnification to help glasses wearers..

Edited by darngooddesign

That’s why the dioptric correction it is there ( in any camera featuring it). Because they know that wearing glasses will reduce view, so they provide you with the means to not wear glasses while you are taking pictures.

Some of us have eyesight that is so bad that the diopter correction is inadequate.

Some of us have eyesight that is so bad that the diopter correction is inadequate.

I'm in the same situation. As a spectacle wearer, I am swithering over whether or not to buy the X-pro2, as the viewfinder is borderline for me, in that I have to move the camera slightly when it's up to my eye, to enable me to see the info round the edges. I have the XT2, which is great, but would like a second body, and love the form factor of the X-Pro2. Oddly, the viewfinder of the X100T is marginally better for me, with my specs on.

I’m sorry to hear that, however it is maybe possible to add a lens made to this purpose, the X pro 1 did offer this possibility.

Don't think a screw-in diopter lens is possible for the X-Pro2, if that's what you meant. I have a -3 diopter that I used with the X-Pro1, but my right has deteriorated marginally, and that takes me beyond the -3 maximum built-in correction on the X-Pro2.

maybe not a screw in but you may find a competent optician (believe it or not some are still out there) who is able to make you a lens and and insert it inside a slide on cap to fit an X-Pro-2 ocular.

The lens holder could be a slide one with a O ring or something like this 3D printed ocular made by someone for a X-E camera ( although they are different the principle would stand for an ocular on a X pro 2 too) .

maxresdefault.jpg

Other possibilities are getting inspired by other people whom found solutions for other Fujis, such as X-T10

hqdefault.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a X PRO 2. I really love the OVF, but in hard light conditions I prefer the EVF.
As I'm wearing glasses I'm not able to see the whole frame in the EVF.
Wouldn't it be great if we could change the magnification of the EVF (5 to 10% less, a bit more black border) so people who wear glasses could so the whole frame.
Maybe something to propose to fuji for a firmware update?

The way I’ve always read the original post (which I am re-quoting here)  is that Op wants a smaller image than the one offered normally.

I have a X-T1 the X-T1 enlarges the image (zooming in or out)  but doesn’t make it smaller.

We have a standard magnification and starting from that you can zoom in, but, at most, you can zoom back to the standard magnification but not less that , if you can make the image smaller than standard magnification on the X-T1 you either have another camera or I never found that function.