Very little knowledge - need crucial and elaborate help

Dr.Nipun

Hello everyone,

I am new to ACTUAL photography. My present gadgets are a Fuji X-T10 and 18-55 lens. I am going to buy a Rokinon 12mm f2.0 lens. But I am stuck in another place. I have a few questions in mind. It will be great help if someone could just help me to find out those answers. 

But first, let me briefly tell my situation. I want to buy a portrait lens. While the 55mm end of my present lens serves me well, I want those creamy bokeh. But I am also very short on budget. So....

Q1. Should I buy cheaper lens like new Meiko 50mm f1.2 or wait for a bit more to gather money to buy Rokinon 50mm f1.2 or even wait more to be able to buy fuji 50mm f1.4? Or how about fuji's cheaper 60mm lens? or even slower fujinon 70-230mm lens? Or should I opt for some other 3rd party lens like Canon or Nikon and maybe use them with an adapter? Or should I go for a vintage one altogether? Listen I know very well that the more you will spend, the better quality and options you are gonna get in a lens. So I need suggestions on the basis of cost-benefit ratio because for some less money, I can live with maybe-not-the-best-but-better-quality lens. And one other thing, many people adapt lens to their newer camera because they already had those lens, so it is very much justified for them. But as I want to buy a new one, will it be justified for me to buy other OEM or 3rd party lenses?

Q2.  Which is the best online market to find vintage lens in UK and USA? Also any good site for vintage lens reviews? To look for vintage lens, which brand should I rely on most? And what adapter system should I buy?

Q3. I live in a country where Canon and Nikon cameras are mostly used. So should I import some adapters so that I can buy or use those lenses on my Fuji camera. maybe in future? If so, which adapters should I buy? I understand most newer Canon and Nikon lens don't include aperture ring which I think may become an issue for me, isn't it?

Q4. As I said, I already own the Fuji XF 18-55mm f2.8-4.0 lens and taking portraits with it is a good experience for me. So should I go for another 50mm lens with a higher aperture or should I go for higher focal length? As I said, please consider the cost-benefit ratio.

Well I know my questions are bit disorganised and amaturish. But I am stuck. So I will really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dr.Nipun

Welcome

Depends how you want the bokeh to look?

I am more than satisfied with the XF60 F/2.4

here is a quick comparison I did between the bokeh of the 35 F/1.4, 60 F/2.4 and a legacy 50 F/2

24509982473_c874efc614_b.jpgComparison by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

The 35mm F/1.4 is my go to lens, love it for street portraits

25386550973_793129eed3_b.jpgDSCF6418 by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

28260197506_58c75e2d1c_b.jpgDSCF8810 by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Q1 - Legacy = manual focus, if you're happy with that a cheap adapter and lenses can be found for a fraction of the cost of fujinon glass

However for fujinon If I didn't own the 60 F/2.4 I'd be tempted to see what the 50 F/2 is like when it arrives (I'd love the 56 F/1.2 but it is very expensive, especially as it is not as versatile as the 35 F/1.4).

I really can't comment on which legacy glass to buy, as all the legacy glass I own were gifted to me.

Nor can I recommend lenses I don't own and have not tested

Q2 - Ebay? although I imagine your mileage will vary

Q3 - can't help

Q4 - When I shoot with the 60mm for out door portraits, I often stop it down to F/4 so most of the portrait is sharp and background is slightly out of focus, it all depends on how much of the face you want in sharp focus

The 56mm F/1.2 @ F/1.2 with the subject 100 cm away, the depth of field would only be about 1.5 cm (the subject at 500 cm the DOF would be about 40cm)

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dof-calculator.htm

Edited by Tikcus

Guest welshkc

Inevitably you will get the responses that tell you to go compose some great shots with what you have...  So I'll skip that part..   :P

Keep in mind that all adapted lenses will be manual focus.

I'm partial to my CHEAP adapted Canon FD 50mm.  Someone gave it to me with an A-1 35mm as well as a 28mm and I recently picked up a Sears 135mm that pretty old but only cost $10.  I get fantastic comments on the pictures. No one can tell they are from cheap lenses.  Manual focus is the biggest challenge.  I get a lot of out of focus stuff if I don't pay close attention.

Here is a quick desk shot with the 50mm on my X-T1. It has plenty of soft bokeh. (I tried to insert in line but the forum doesn't like my Koken URLs.)

http://photo.welshkc.com/albums/gear/content/20160720-dscf4146/lightbox/

Here is a quick shot of the lens that took the pic above.  It is a 1970s Cannon FD.  

http://photo.welshkc.com/content/img-0696/lightbox/

Dr Nipun,

Fuji lenses are as good as it gets, so IMHO if you buy cheap you end up buying twice!

What country are you in? Only you can decide what you need from a lens, you have given no indication of budget?

The 18-55mm is reputed to be among the best standard zooms! Do you really want to faff around with an adapter and lenses that do not fit the Fuji X lens mount. Personally I don't!

No system is perfect. The British company WEX is a very good company to deal with. Google them!

If you are not specific in what you want, how can you expect specific answers!

There are lots of people migrating to the Fuji system so they are obviously doing something right!

Good luck

P.S. The 60mm f2.4 will serve very nicely as a portrait lens + you can also do a bit of macro as well!

Edited by Mike G

Dr Nipun,

Fuji lenses are as good as it gets, so IMHO if you buy cheap you end up buying twice!

What country are you in? Only you can decide what you need from a lens, you have given no indication of budget?

The 18-55mm is reputed to be among the best standard zooms! Do you really want to faff around with an adapter and lenses that do not fit the Fuji X lens mount. Personally I don't!

No system is perfect. The British company WEX is a very good company to deal with. Google them!

If you are not specific in what you want, how can you expect specific answers!

There are lots of people migrating to the Fuji system so they are obviously doing something right!

Good luck

I don't know what more to specify. And I am also expecting suggestions, rather than something very specific. And I mentioned earlier I want more bokeh. Anyhow your suggestions were very helpful. If I come to any decision, I will obviously let you know. And I will look into WEX. Thanks again.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I presume you mean a greater amount of "out of focus" areas to your portraits, if that is the case the the 56mm f1.2 is the lens for you.

Fuji on its websites provide a lens comparator a very useful tool to see what the performance of Fuji lenses look like, check it outL

P.S. The comparitor is the Fuji X mount lenses app, an iPad app available from the App Store!

Edited by Mike G

Want bokeh? Go for the 35 1.4, rather than the 60 2.4 or the other manual lenses. Skip either of the manual lenses. If you want a semi-macro option, look at the 60 2.4.

Forget adapted solutions. If you buy a cheap adapter, you accept a compromise in image quality and most vintage lenses aren't all that good. By sticking a cheap adapter in the front, you reduce IQ even further. And a good adapter costs more than most vintage glass.

Stick to Fuji's own lenses. You mostly get the same color reproduction, get AF and Fuji's glass is just some of the market's finest.

The 56mm APD is the ultimate tool for this requirement, however it is not cheap.

The 56 APD is a niche lens with far more downsides than advantages. Loss of PDAF, 1 T-stop, gain of slightly more DoF, higher price tag and a change in color reproduction are heavy hitters when compared to a slightly better bokeh (and only wide open and only when the situation allows the benefit to show.

I think I should have changed the name of thread to something like "in search of perfect portrait lens" because so many valuable information and discussion are coming by.

not sure the perfect lens or photographer exists, as since it is art it is subjective

The cheapest option is just to place more distance between your subject and your background. Even at f4, you'll get plenty of bokeh that way. Also, bokeh can be nice on occasion, but don't use it as a crutch. Be mindful of the background first, and only then focus on your subject when taking a portrait.

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Nipun,

If you have not resolved your doubts yet, a legacy manual lens is a very attractive alternative. I use Canon FD lenses with the corresponding adaptor. They are quality optics, and while they aré inexpensive, there Is nothing "cheap" about them. Go for a 50mm F1:1,4, or a 85mm f1:1,8. they Willy give you equivalences to 75 and 127mm, which are ideal portrait focal lengths, plus the pleasure of manual handling.

Personally, my favorite portrait lens is the Fuji 35mm f/1.4 because it's so versatile for other things and the images just have some kind of "magic" quality to them. You should be able to find a lot of used copies in good condition since a lot of people sold them for the f/2 version. I prefer the f/1.4, others prefer the f/2. I won't get into a debate on that because both are good.

However, I also own several Helios lenses that I bought from eBay that are fun to use. They are not the best (by far) and have flaws in everything that comes out of them, but they are unique and fun to use sometimes.

For adapters the most important thing I can say is to read the reviews before buying. On my Helios lenses there were a lot of adapters out there that people said would not allow infinity focusing. I didn't have to buy the most expensive adapter, but it was important to find one that had consistent, positive performance in the reviews. I'd suspect that is true for most adapted lenses.

Lastly, I would not wait and save for any rumored lenses from Fuji that do not have a set and announced release date. There are too many unknowns and potential disappointments. If you are ready to start shooting with it, stick with what is on the market now or what has an official release date. If something more appealing gets announced while you are saving, then switch your plan, but too many lenses get changed or canceled between the rumor and the announcement to build your plans around.

Dr. Nipun,

If you have not resolved your doubts yet, a legacy manual lens is a very attractive alternative. I use Canon FD lenses with the corresponding adaptor. They are quality optics, and while they aré inexpensive, there Is nothing "cheap" about them. Go for a 50mm F1:1,4, or a 85mm f1:1,8. they Willy give you equivalences to 75 and 127mm, which are ideal portrait focal lengths, plus the pleasure of manual handling.

Actually I am still to gather the money. But yr suggestion is precise and will help me out for sure. Thanks. :-)

Personally, my favorite portrait lens is the Fuji 35mm f/1.4 because it's so versatile for other things and the images just have some kind of "magic" quality to them. You should be able to find a lot of used copies in good condition since a lot of people sold them for the f/2 version. I prefer the f/1.4, others prefer the f/2. I won't get into a debate on that because both are good.

However, I also own several Helios lenses that I bought from eBay that are fun to use. They are not the best (by far) and have flaws in everything that comes out of them, but they are unique and fun to use sometimes.

For adapters the most important thing I can say is to read the reviews before buying. On my Helios lenses there were a lot of adapters out there that people said would not allow infinity focusing. I didn't have to buy the most expensive adapter, but it was important to find one that had consistent, positive performance in the reviews. I'd suspect that is true for most adapted lenses.

Lastly, I would not wait and save for any rumored lenses from Fuji that do not have a set and announced release date. There are too many unknowns and potential disappointments. If you are ready to start shooting with it, stick with what is on the market now or what has an official release date. If something more appealing gets announced while you are saving, then switch your plan, but too many lenses get changed or canceled between the rumor and the announcement to build your plans around.

Wow...very nice advice. Thanks a lot. I have decided that as I have bought the Samyang 12mm, I will give a try with it to see how much I can do and like the manual lenses. Then I will finally decide. But I am really overwhelmed with all the suggestions.

Edited by Dr.Nipun

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best pieces of advice I got was to determine what focal length you take the majority of your shots with and go buy that lens. And then use it exclusively for awhile until you get to know every aspect of it...until you can look at a scene and know exactly how your lens will frame that image. I've been a DX format DSLR shooter until recently exploring Fuji and found the 35mm length to be my go to lens.

If your unsure about focal length use your zoom for a couple months and take tons of photos. Then look at your image data and determine what focal length you seem to be using the most and there is your answer. If you're serious about photography buy the best lens you can even if it's a financial stretch. There is a cliche that I hold true...you date cameras but marry lenses. A good lens will last years and years long after your camera is old technology. I've bought 3rd party lenses to save money and always wished I would have just paid the extra cash for the real thing. One of Fuji's selling points are the awesome optics for the money. Don't get too infatuated with bokeh...photographers seem to be more critical of this than their paying customers.

Welcome to photography and enjoy.

Edited by Therapeuo63

One of the best pieces of advice I got was to determine what focal length you take the majority of your shots with and go buy that lens. And then use it exclusively for awhile until you get to know every aspect of it...until you can look at a scene and know exactly how your lens will frame that image. I've been a DX format DSLR shooter until recently exploring Fuji and found the 35mm length to be my go to lens.

If your unsure about focal length use your zoom for a couple months and take tons of photos. Then look at your image data and determine what focal length you seem to be using the most and there is your answer. If you're serious about photography buy the best lens you can even if it's a financial stretch. There is a cliche that I hold true...you date cameras but marry lenses. A good lens will last years and years long after your camera is old technology. I've bought 3rd party lenses to save money and always wished I would have just paid the extra cash for the real thing. One of Fuji's selling points are the awesome optics for the money. Don't get too infatuated with bokeh...photographers seem to be more critical of this than their paying customers.

Welcome to photography and enjoy.

That's an awesome piece of advice. Thanks man.